Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Project Completion Blues
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Nubian knitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2003 :  11:20:29 PM  Show Profile Send Nubian knitter a Private Message
Hey Susan,

You are amongst company. I too get a little blue once I am done with a project. I find that all the while I am working on it my children are after me nearly every minute of the day. Once the project is completed and I go seek out my semi neglected daughters they're too involved in their things to give me the time of day. I avail my self to them as I hadn't been as accessable while I was knitting and they pretty much ignore me. So I quietly leave, go to my room to sit and think. As I do it occurs to me that I need to be knitting. With one project out of the way it's time to start the next one. I sit there saying to myself, "but I've been sort of M.I.A in the children department, how could I start another poject so soon?" I'd spend the rest of the day wishing I could knit and wanting to be with my children. I compromise, three or four days with out knitting so that I can re-establish my self within the childrens lives and then I'll begin the next project. I haven't yet found the right balance.

Sheila

Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2003 :  01:07:51 AM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
quote:

Hey Susan,

You are amongst company. I too get a little blue once I am done with a project. I find that all the while I am working on it my children are after me nearly every minute of the day. Once the project is completed and I go seek out my semi neglected daughters they're too involved in their things to give me the time of day. I avail my self to them as I hadn't been as accessable while I was knitting and they pretty much ignore me. So I quietly leave, go to my room to sit and think. As I do it occurs to me that I need to be knitting. With one project out of the way it's time to start the next one. I sit there saying to myself, "but I've been sort of M.I.A in the children department, how could I start another poject so soon?" I'd spend the rest of the day wishing I could knit and wanting to be with my children. I compromise, three or four days with out knitting so that I can re-establish my self within the childrens lives and then I'll begin the next project. I haven't yet found the right balance.

Sheila

I think it's axiomatic that kids want our attention whenever we're busy with somehting else. Ever notice what happens when you get on the phone?

That said, just how caught up in your knitting do you get? Do they have to wait while you finish your stitch, row, pattern repeat, project, what? Balance is a fine thing.

Barbara

Remember, we're self-selecting!
Go to Top of Page

Nubian knitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2003 :  02:12:20 AM  Show Profile Send Nubian knitter a Private Message
quote:
just how caught up in your knitting do you get? Do they have to wait while you finish your stitch, row, pattern repeat, project, what?

I get pretty caught up. But most rescently I have a time dead line and a number of other projects that need tending also on dead lines. I have been knitting socks and have not wanted to stop untill I had atleast turned the heel. Luckily they're knitted in ww on 3.75 needles and ankle length. Not all of my projects are knitting projects. Some are Sewing, crochet, Education and household projects. So I've made them wait for maybe 2 to 3 hours for a trip to the library or simply for me to come out of my room and play a game of Kings Corners with them or to read a whole stack of books to my soon to be five year old.

I've been able to get away with quite a bit with her (the 5 yr old that is) I've gotten her to sit with me in the big easy chair in front of the east facing windows of my room an practice her knitting for the whole ten to 15 minutes she could stand it. She's getting better with every abreviated lesson though

The older girls well, Ones assissting me on my December Sock project. (We're done with it,yehy!) My eldest she could cook and does often, while my middle child can get just as involved with her art projects. If they've come away with anything it is definately patience.

Sheila

Go to Top of Page

KikiL
New Pal

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2003 :  07:55:31 AM  Show Profile Send KikiL a Private Message
When I complete a project, I celebrate and keep it on display on my bureau or somewhere where I can admire it for a few days! That's because I HATE the finishing work -- blocking, sewing seams, sewing on buttons, weaving in loose ends -- so much, that finished pieces often sit for weeks (or, sadly, even months) before I force myself to commit to an afternoon of finishing work in front of a window with good sunlight. I love to knit, having started again a couple of years ago after many years off to pursue a career that didn't leave time for knitting, and always have at least 3, sometimes as many as 5 projects on needles. But I usually have at least as many more waiting to be finished! Right now I have a beautiful sweater for my daughter for Christmas that needs to be blocked and seamed so I can finish the funnel neck, two scarfs that need ends woven in and blocking, socks that need the toes woven, and a vest for one of my grandchildren that has been finished and seamed for a couple of months that just needs buttons. I even have the buttons -- cute flag and U, S, A buttons since it is a red, white, and blue vest. I'm actually glad to have events like Christmas or birthdays that force closure! Maybe you need to have more projects in the works...

By the way, what do some of the acronyms used in these forums mean --like MIL and FO? I figured out LYS (local yarn shop) and SO (significant other). Are there more I've not mentioned? Is there a forum where these things are explained? I've just started dipping my feet into these forums... So thanks in advance.

Knitting Knut
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2003 :  09:37:15 AM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
quote:

quote:
just how caught up in your knitting do you get? Do they have to wait while you finish your stitch, row, pattern repeat, project, what?

I've been able to get away with quite a bit with her (the 5 yr old that is) I've gotten her to sit with me in the big easy chair in front of the east facing windows of my room an practice her knitting for the whole ten to 15 minutes she could stand it. She's getting better with every abreviated lesson though

The older girls well, Ones assissting me on my December Sock poject. (We're done with it,yehy!) My eldest she could cook and does often, while my middle child can get just as involved with her art projects. If they've come away with anything it is definately patience.

Sheila

I hope you didn't feel I was being critical, I really just wanted to know.

I found, with my daughter, that as long as she coudl be in the same room with me, I didn't have to give her 100% of my attention, but I did get very good at multi-tasking. Not that she didn't try to guilt me sometimes anyway - You love knitting more than you love me - (or whatever it was that I was doing).

Teaching them patience is a very good thing, as is giving them responsibilities around the house. My sister and I both learned to cook quite young, 'cuz our mother had to help our father out in the store, and couldn't be in teh kitchen to do it.

quote:
By the way, what do some of the acronyms used in these forums mean --like MIL and FO? I figured out LYS (local yarn shop) and SO (significant other). Are there more I've not mentioned? Is there a forum where these things are explained? I've just started dipping my feet into these forums... So thanks in advance.

Knitting Knut

There was a thread quite a while ago on acronyms, but I'm not sure what it was called. It's OK if you just ask as they come up. Most of them are standard for online anywhere.

MIL is mother in law (SIL-sis in law, FIL-father in law, etc).
FO, I believe, is finished object, UFO being unfinished project.
WIP is work in progress
frog is not actually an acronym, but a play on words - when you have to take stitches out you RIPPIT, RIPPIT
tink is something someone here made up recently. It means knit backwards or unknit - take sts. back one at a time, as opposed to frogging.
DD. DS - dear daughter, dear son.

Hope that helps, but feel free to ask if you need to.

Barbara

Remember, we're self-selecting!
Go to Top of Page

WinterSong
Chatty Knitter

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2003 :  06:04:00 AM  Show Profile Send WinterSong a Private Message
I'm feeling a little blue trying to finish my poncho! It is out
of the Vogue holiday issue, and basically it has knitted up very
nice - except I read the pattern wrong at one point and one side
came out longer than the other. So - rip, rip, rip. I started
asking myself - am I having fun with this??? The weather is
perfect for me to wear it yet can't just yet. Think I will give
myself a break from doing a large project and work on some smaller
ones. Must admit tho, the poncho will be lovely when done! And I
will be very happy! Sometimes when I get close to finishing a
project I get impatient and just want to be done and on to the
next thing!!

Am I blue? A little, but it won't last long. Happy Knitting!
Connie

Go to Top of Page

gypsycat
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2003 :  2:38:41 PM  Show Profile Send gypsycat a Private Message
I just finished my very first project, it was a scarf thats all I can do right now in Jan. I will get to learn hats. While I was doing my scarf I was having the time of my life I didn't want it to end. After it was compleated I took a picture of it and save a scrape of yarn and the tag and made note on how many casts ons how wide how long ect..... Then it was ready to give away. I felt so let down but happy that someone who would appreciate the work and beauity, would be getting it. I don't plan on keeping anything I make, they will be for friends or street people. Maybe if I focus more on how my knitting makes others happy then I won't feel so let down.

Go to Top of Page

WinterSong
Chatty Knitter

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2003 :  06:12:27 AM  Show Profile Send WinterSong a Private Message
Hi Gypsycat, welcome to the forum and I too am going to take
a photo of everything I make and keep info on it. A piece of
the yarn, gauge, needles used etc etc.
But how lovely that you desire to give away all your knitting!
I really admire that. I have made items for my grandson and so
far have made things for me. But what a wonderful feeling to
know you are making something someone can use and will love!
Nothing like a hand made item - the person receiving it knows
your time and attention went into the piece you are knitting.
Every stitch done with alot of love. There is sure nothing to
be blue about when giving.

Connie

Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2003 :  07:10:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
This happened to me for the first time yesterday. I worked really hard and finished a pair of lace socks during lunch. Then last night, I was very restless and bored, didn't know what to do with myself. I half-heartedly began a couple new projects and frogged them completely again, just not sure what I want to make. Well, I do know--I want to be working on my lace socks, but they're done! And I don't have enough yarn left to make another pair.

And by the way--I am the Susan who was asking about provisional cast-on. The info I was given by the Fab Forum allowed me to make the hat for Mom'L. I already knew how to graft, although the pattern made it very very difficult (the grafted edges included sections of purl, sections of knit, sections of K1P1 rib, and a ridge from cabling) and the seam is somewhat visible. I think I may have grafted too tightly. I'm hoping the seam will be hidden a bit when I felt the hat.

--Susan T-O

Irony is funnier when it happens to someone else.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.89 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?