Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 anybody play chess?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hobbitknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2003 :  5:41:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit hobbitknitter's Homepage Send hobbitknitter a Private Message
I'm learning today- I get something in my head, won't leave, and Garry Kasparov has inspired me- so I'm learning. Printing out instructions now, playing on chess master, etc.
Somebody tell me I'm not crazy!
Anyway- anybody play?
Sarah

S. Eliz.

Keep on knitting on!
See my gallery: www.pagebypage.com/board/index.php(In photo gallery pages, under S for Sarah Elizabeth)

warble
New Pal

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2003 :  8:58:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit warble's Homepage Send warble a Private Message
I love playing chess, although I don't play much right now - nobody to really play with. I used to play all the time with my best friend in high school - I would sleep over at her place, and in the morning we would sit outside on the patio and play chess and eat ice cream. *grins* At times like those, even high school didn't seem so bad.

Good luck learning! It's such a cool game.

Go to Top of Page

myshelle10
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2003 :  10:13:32 PM  Show Profile Send myshelle10 a Private Message
Love chess :)

I used to play against my grandfather as a kid. He always beat me-- I never won once! But I was sure motivated to try :)

myshelle

Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2003 :  01:19:42 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I'm genetically programmed to enjoy it! My father was chess champion at his university. I haven't played for a long time, but really enjoyed it, and jump at the chance to play.

TMM

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2003 :  04:27:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
I love playing chess, but like Warble, I don't have anyone around here to play with. I absolutely hate to play against a computer.
amy

Go to Top of Page

diana.enky
Permanent Resident

Australia
1092 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2003 :  05:12:37 AM  Show Profile Send diana.enky a Private Message
Ooooh, sorry to put a dampener on the topic - but hey, variety is the spice ... as they say

I hate it

completely .... I think it is my impatient nature or maybe torture being 'taught' to play as a kid against adults that always beat me. Yes, yes I know they were teaching me - but somehow I never found pleasure in it and still don't and I remember how to play .....

and yet - I love checkers, backgammon, card games, Trivial Pursuit, Squatter (that'll raise questions) etc, etc

Diana
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2003 :  07:16:21 AM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
I have to agree w/ Diane!!! I HATE IT!!! It's slow and boring!! I grew up playing. My daughter asked for and received a beautiful chess set last year for Christmas....I hate to hear..."Mom...will you play chess w/ me?" I love all sorts of board games. But chess isn't one of them!!

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

virtualpurl
Gabber Extraordinaire

409 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2003 :  11:18:18 AM  Show Profile Send virtualpurl a Private Message
I was conscripted into playing chess two years ago when our son, then 7, got heavily into it. Now my husband is also heavily into it. I find it fascinating -- never the same game twice -- but to be honest I like it only when I win. It brings out all my most competitive, warlike urges and makes me frustrated that I don't play better. Yet I'm not willing to devote the time and attention that would take.

I'm very glad, however, that you're doing it, hobbitknitter. The chess world needs more women! We are way, way underrepresented (too bad since chess is truly a level playing field). And with your intensity, you should do great.

Go to Top of Page

hobbitknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2003 :  4:39:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit hobbitknitter's Homepage Send hobbitknitter a Private Message
Hi!
I've been working on it, and have memorized most of the rules now, and really like it. I'm playing the computer now, haven't won yet, have drawn twice, though! I don't mind when I lose -yet- because I like to analize why I lost, and that helps me learn the strategy. Also played myself twice on a board. That is good because it forces you to look at your moves from the "other" player's perspective, so you can see strategy flaws, etc. Geeky, I know.....
But since it is such a long game, it'd be great for knitting in between plays! I can see myself now- in the hand-knit twin set w/ needles in hand, playing the greatest chess player of all time......LOL I sure can dream up some crazy situations!
Anyway, when I get good enough, I'd love to play some of you on yahoo games!
~Sarah

S. Eliz.

Keep on knitting on!
See my gallery: www.pagebypage.com/board/index.php(In photo gallery pages, under S for Sarah Elizabeth)
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2003 :  4:54:07 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Sarah: Years ago I had a boy friend who decided I absolutely had to learn to play chess so he wrote out instructions for me. We played a game and I won. We never played another one. If I can find these instructions would you like them? If so, e-mail me your snail mail address and I shall ship them off to you. Take care. Beverley

PS: Don't hang until I find them.

Bev
Go to Top of Page

hobbitknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2003 :  5:24:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit hobbitknitter's Homepage Send hobbitknitter a Private Message
Oh, Bev- that's sweet of you, but I found some instructions that are great- they are here: http://www.chessvariants.com/d.chess/chess.html
Also, older brother has some books that I'm going to "steal," lol.
Love your story- that is soo great!
Sarah

S. Eliz.

Keep on knitting on!
Go to Top of Page

hobbitknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2003 :  8:11:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit hobbitknitter's Homepage Send hobbitknitter a Private Message
Oh, have to complain. I had the computer beat- for the first time!- just 2 more moves and the game would be over, with me victorious. And guess what happens?
the @#$%^&* computer crashed
Can you imagine my fury? [mad]

Errg, I am so upset!

S. Eliz.

Keep on knitting on!
Go to Top of Page

myshelle10
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2003 :  10:01:32 PM  Show Profile Send myshelle10 a Private Message
Sorry to hear that!

I hate to break it to you S. Eliz-- but I get the feeling if I ever played you on yahoo games, you'd completely beat me :) (and perhaps several others) :)

myshelle

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.66 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?