Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 What Should I Make with It?
 800 to 1200 Yards
 fine weight yarn
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic   

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2003 :  7:38:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
After several tactfully worded threats involoving loss of life and limb, I managed to get off the swap table at the retreat approximately 1100 yards of a luscious ginger colored alpaca, but it's a very fine weight - I haven't done measurements, but I would guess sport or finer weight?

1. How can I figure out what the precise weight is, and

2. Is that enough for a sweater if it is that fine?

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2003 :  10:42:10 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message
RoseByAny: I love alpaca and the color sounds really fantastic. I'd do a test swatch for accuracy, if it's sport weight, you should get around 5 1/2 to 6 stitches to an inch; fingering, I'd say 7 stitches to an inch.

Using sport weight, I have found with 1100 yards, I can do a man's Large vest, chest measurements of 40"-42" or a woman's medium short sleeved sweater, chest measurement about 36"-38".

Can't wait to see what you do with it!

M L
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2003 :  03:28:07 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
sweater? I see a luscious shawl, or riana tossed casually around your neck, over a long skirt and everyone at the party is soooo..... jealous.

Make it lacy and it is definitely enough. How about swatching it on slightly too large needles for that lacy effect. Even garter stitch is lacy when the needles are too large.

fran

Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2003 :  04:22:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
I had the same reaction as Fran. And thank you for not carrying out your threats, sugar - I really like my arms and use them requently.

Lacy is what comes to mind. And a diamond lace stitch in garter stitch or st. st. is sooooo pretty. and easy enough to go fast, but not boring.

Try it on size 7 needles and see. The stitch is very common - I've seen it in Barbara Walker and in a Harmony guide. In fact I have a photo somewhere, of a lace scarf I did with that stitch - I'll hunt it up and post it on my blog either today or tomorrow afternoon.

Lace sweaters are pretty too and lace makes the yarn last so much longer.

Bess
http://likethequeen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Nubian knitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2003 :  10:33:00 PM  Show Profile Send Nubian knitter a Private Message
Hi Everyone!

Approximately how much is all of that yardage in terms of ounces? Does anyone know or have an idea? I'd like to know.

Sheila

Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2003 :  03:36:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
Have you weighed it on your kitchen scale?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic   
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe