Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Poll Feedback
 Suggest a poll
 do you ever knit the patterns in the magazines
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

farmgirlnow
Chatty Knitter

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2002 :  3:59:12 PM  Show Profile Send farmgirlnow a Private Message
does anyone ever knit the patterns in the magazines? I buy the magazines, but honestly I don't like most of the patterns they feature.

Most clothes they show are too fancy for me, I like simple sweaters. But for all the sock knitters out there, why don't they have a sock pattern? Or an accessory, like a cute pocketbook, or hair scrunchy?

Maybe I am just too ordinary...

Julie

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2002 :  6:21:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
There's a pattern (I think it's in the latest Cast On) of a really simple short sleeved sweater... I was drawn to it because it's a lovely soft yellow, and I'm on a big yellow kick right now. It recommends using Fixation - that cotton yarn some of our cotton fans are praising. I've never used it, but I just might - it looks very nice and classy.

A lot of the times I'm not crazy about the colors they choose in the magazine - they look dated for some reason - but if you remember you can substitute color or yarn, there are lots of good starting places.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2002 :  8:27:09 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I take a lot from the patterns in the magazines, but I rarely knit them as written. I take a stitch pattern, or a collar, or some part of the design and then use it in what I am knitting. For inspiration, they can't be beat. I followed a pattern for the first time this past year and I have been knitting for over 50 years, and then when it was finished, I didn't like it and changed it....LOL. It had a zig zag botton and that made it above the waist on the sides, so I knitted a little square piece and stitched it in there.

Fran

Go to Top of Page

Elizabeth
Permanent Resident

USA
1557 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2002 :  09:06:46 AM  Show Profile Send Elizabeth a Private Message
I knit patterns from magazines all the time! Many of the projects I do are the kids sweaters in FCEK--but I have knitted a few sweaters for myself as well.... FCEK and Interweave also often feature socks and bags and hats. I usually follow the patterns to the letter--but I change the yarn and the colors.

Go to Top of Page

Simplicitly
Chatty Knitter

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2002 :  11:37:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Simplicitly's Homepage Send Simplicitly a Private Message
farmgirl,

my first knitting project was out of a magazine. My coworker had brought her vogue knitting to work and was knitting a sweater, and when we sat down for lunch I thumbed through the magazine. I saw a really cute sweater and next to it read "Very easy, very vogue." My coworker convinced me that I had the skills to complete the sweater, and that's what started me off on my knitting rampage.

Since then I've bought one more magazine and I will probably knit a sweater out of that one too. I'm also working on another sweater form the vogue magazine. Simple patterns are great too, projects usually don't take as long and of course gratification comes faster. Also, speaking of scrunchies, chicknits has some cool links (March 28) for patterns that will help eliminate stash:

http://www.chicknits.com/rambles.shtml

I especially like the hello kitty and the square slippers.

Shetha

Novice Crafter
Professional Geek
Go to Top of Page

jdroeger
Chatty Knitter

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2002 :  11:54:03 AM  Show Profile Send jdroeger a Private Message
Shetha - Thanks for that link. My 4 year old LOVES Hello Kitty (it is impossible for us to go into that store without buying something!). Maybe I'll try to make one for her birthday - I have some left over pink and white yarn from baby blankets I recently made. Just what I need - more WIPs!

Jessica

Go to Top of Page

Smock7
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
491 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2002 :  5:22:33 PM  Show Profile Send Smock7 a Private Message
Hi Julie! Have you ever purchased Sandra magazines? I have made a few sweaters from them, substituting my own yarn choice. I'm making a sweater from the new Knitters Digest magazine that I started the other night. I'm like you though, I buy these magazines every month and only make a very few sweaters from them, but I get 'lots' of inspiration from the magazines.

Go to Top of Page

farmgirlnow
Chatty Knitter

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2002 :  6:49:45 PM  Show Profile Send farmgirlnow a Private Message
Hi there,

You guys are right, the magazines do usually have good kids patterns. They usually feature a lot of picture knits, and that is what I like (I need them in big girl size!)

I never heard of Sandra magazine, I will look for it. Knit n' style is a good one too.

I still buy all the knitting magazines for inspiration! I like the info they give on "what's new in the knitting world!"

Go to Top of Page

mrsrkfj
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2002 :  7:18:46 PM  Show Profile Send mrsrkfj a Private Message
Hi. I searched for the Hello Kitty but couldn't find it. Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Raya

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.65 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?