Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Completion Issues?
 Anyone Game for a Challenge?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2003 :  7:50:19 PM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
I've taken a square look in the face of my works in progress. I have 10 in all and none are completed. So, I began wondering if I could honestly discipline myself enough to work ONLY on the first 3 that I think are most important, and/or, I have completed the most work on. My goal is to finish these 3, all the while not working on any of my other knitting. If I can do this, and I must use the word IF sparingly here, LOL, then I could tackle the next 3. I know I would feel so much better about my stash and look forward to beginning new things with an empty plate, so to speak.

Does anyone else feel the way I do right now and if so, would you like to try this with me? We could call it an early New Year's resolution?

Regards, Patience

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2003 :  8:12:02 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Dear Patience,

You could always try my old trick. It has served me well for many years. Just pick out the one, two, or three, that you feel you have to finish first. Then the rule is that you must knit on them for either 5 minutes or 10 minutes every day until they are finished. After that time you can knit on anything you like. It is surprising how fast you can get things finished with just 10 minutes a day and you usually don't get bored or overwhelmed with just 10 minutes of a task. Even when you are tired late at night, you can still do 10 minutes. Add it up, that is 5 hours a month.

With 10 WIP, I think I would first decide which ones would do better in the frog pond. That is the fastest way to finish a project.

Don't feel bad, I've know knitter's who had over 50 projects going and they still got them all finished......10 minutes at a time.

I limit myself to 6 at once and can't start more until one is finished.

fran

Go to Top of Page

Lelani
Permanent Resident

USA
2005 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2003 :  07:22:22 AM  Show Profile Send Lelani a Private Message
I understand, Im starting to feel overwhelmed myself. I have several WIP'S . I think fmarrs has a good idea about giving a project 10 min a day to finish. I am going to try it. Good luck to you as well.

Lelani
Go to Top of Page

linda-gail
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2003 :  07:49:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit linda-gail's Homepage Send linda-gail a Private Message
Patience, I'm with you. I have in progress a shawl for my mother, a mohair sweater, a twin set mostly complete, socks, mittens, a summer top, a tote for felting and an afghan started. I will pick 2 items to finish, and knit for at least 15 minutes on each every day before allowing knitting on anything else. I just rearranged my stash (summer stuff to the outside storage, winter stuff in) and am feeling overwhelmed by the amount of yarn I have had for so long. I'm also out of storage room, so can't buy more BOOHOO. So, my NY resolution, to be acted on now, is to finish, 2 at a time, these WIP. Linda

Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2003 :  08:46:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
Fran, I love your idea! I'll have to keep that in mind for future projects.

I'm definitly up to the challenge. My November finishing group vow didn't ultimately pan out, although I will say that a teething baby was a lot of the problem over the last couple of weeks.

Here's what I'm trying to accomplish:

1. Fair Isle baby sweater - for Christmas. I frogged 6 inches in mid-November because I was so horrified with the way the selvidges were looking. It's a D. Bliss ballet top pattern, and I rewrote the pattern to eliminate seams, so frogging 6 inches was a LOT to do. I started over a week or so ago, having made a few alterations to my plan, and so far so good. If I work on it for two hours/day, I can get it done in 2 1/2 weeks. Baby is going to sleep at 8, so that's no problem.

2. Husband's sweater - may not get finished by Christmas, but I will make an effort. He's not growing, so it's not as important as the baby sweater.

3. Socks for Gram - basic pattern that I can work on when baby is playing quietly.

4. Finishing pile - 4 scarves, 1 pair socks, 2 reverse bloom face clothes and 1 tea cozy all for Christmas. I'm going to ask my DH to take care of the baby on a Saturday so that I can do it all at once.

Once this stuff is done, I can start the next round of projects. The good news is that I don't feel overwhelmed by it.

Kristin

Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2003 :  10:34:33 AM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
quote:

Once this stuff is done, I can start the next round of projects. The good news is that I don't feel overwhelmed by it.

Kristin

That is good news, since the feeling overwhelmed is also symptomatic of the depression. I've been having major anxiety attacks most days for the past 2-3 months, and it feels like my stomach is trying to turn itself inside out.

Barbara

Remember, we're self-selecting!
Go to Top of Page

draymer
Permanent Resident

USA
1490 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2003 :  12:09:05 PM  Show Profile Send draymer a Private Message
Let's see, I have 2 sweaters for myself, one spring and one winter, that just need sewing together, and maybe some neck work. I also have the infamous Sirdar Snowflake Teddy Sweater, all done (I forced myself to knit the 4 ears on Sunday) the sweater is even sewn, I just need to stuff and sew on the head. I also have a cute eyelash skirt and shrug for her that just needs to be sewn together. I am almost finished with my MILs shawl, I am about 1/3 done with my Hanne Falkenberg Dacapo, I have a right cuff done of my Jean Frost jacket, and I started the watercolor camisole from One More Row. Don't even have guage yet.

Wow, confession is good for the sole. Patience, I would love to report back on progress to keep us on track. I think Fran's approach is the way to go. My New Year's resolution is going to be to have nothing wait longer than a year for completion. Not such a problem for me, but I'll bet by the time I finish the teddy sweater, my DD will have outgrown it. And there will never be grandchildren during my lifetime!

Debra

Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2003 :  10:31:30 AM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message
Patience, you know I'm behind you because I want you to enjoy your knitting and not feel stressed. I'll coach you, from the sidelines as I bounce from project to project.

Seriously, I understand that feeling of being overwhelmed, it can bother me in all aspects of my life but knitting. I gave it a great deal of thought before I posted to your thread because I do understand that sense of overwhelm so well. However, I came to the conclusion I allow myself to be at work on anything I want when it comes to my knitting because I NEED an area in my life where I do what I want when I want and how I want.

That said, you can count on me to cheer you on in your goals!

M L
Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2003 :  12:19:17 PM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
ML,

You definitely have a good point there! I tend to be an organized type of person and I like to know that I've finished what I've started, so I carry this way of being over into my knitting. In reality, there is no one standing behind me beating me on the head saying, "You MUST finish these 10 WIP's now", so why do I push myself, I ask?

Fran, I like your idea of working on each of say, 3 priority projects for at least 10 minutes a day and then working on whatever I want to, as ML put it so well.

Hugs, Patience
Go to Top of Page

Lelani
Permanent Resident

USA
2005 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2003 :  02:51:04 AM  Show Profile Send Lelani a Private Message
The 10 min a day on projects seems to be working well for me. I just finished one. Yeah!!

Lelani
Go to Top of Page

momrnc
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
443 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2003 :  06:37:30 AM  Show Profile Send momrnc a Private Message
I like having several WIP's going--it keeps me from getting bored. When the knitting starts to become tedious, I just put it down and pick up something else. It's almost like the excitement of starting a new project. Of course, this doesn't work if you have to finish something because it's a gift. That's probably why I don't knit gifts too often--I'd hate for my knitting to become a chore.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Smock7
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
491 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2003 :  08:20:40 AM  Show Profile Send Smock7 a Private Message
Hey Fran! That's a great idea! I have so many WIP that they are stashed all over in cabinets and corners. I realized with my second to the last WIP that I tend to go full steam ahead until (1) I get bored, as with the Einstein coat or (2) I get stuck on the pattern! I need to pull out the WIP and sort into "boring" or "stuck" cabinets! Start with the "stuck" when I have more time and keep the "boring" for when I'm watching TV with the family! Maybe I'll pull out two of each and stick under my end table where they are within easy reach!

Vanessa

From the Heart of Oklahoma!
Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2003 :  08:33:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
In light of my bad, bad cold and my DD's attempts to teeth, my Christmas projects may not get finished! ah well. It's good to be flexible.

Kristin
Go to Top of Page

Pinky Yarn
Permanent Resident

USA
1045 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2003 :  10:49:47 AM  Show Profile Send Pinky Yarn a Private Message
im done im done im done im done!! with my chenille scarf, its kinda my own fault i had to get it done...started it friday. i have two booties on needles, a scarf, a sock on hold, and need to get two baby hats done...aaaah, off to knit

-God bless, take care, and dont eat soap!
Go to Top of Page

ClaireG
Seriously Hooked

602 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2003 :  1:11:55 PM  Show Profile Send ClaireG a Private Message
Fran, Thank you for your idea about the 10min knitting,I can see myself actually doing that and finishing my MANY knitting projects.
Patience, Knitting is not supposed to be stressful,we make it ourselves.
SerMom and everyone else ,we just have to remember to breathe every so often.
Claire
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2003 :  1:50:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
If you have something relatively simple which you don't need to be looking at constantly you could knit at it while reading the forums! That is how I get a lot of my knitting done and it is amazing how quickly it grows.

KathyR
Go to Top of Page

CATE
Gabber Extraordinaire

416 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2003 :  4:04:14 PM  Show Profile Send CATE a Private Message
I haven't bought much yarn without knowing what exactly I'm going to knit. I usually just buy what I need for the one project (I'm a pretty new knitter). Although, recently I've discovered that I'm working on socks, a scarf (for a Christmas gift) another scarf for myself and lately, I keep on thinking I need to drive to the yarn store, because I think I have another project idea. I'm trying very hard to control myself, though, and finish the Christmas gift first before buying any more yarn. Though Elann.com makes that difficult. Each morning I go to that website to see what's new, then I come here...and try to get some knitting in.

CATE

Tangled Up
Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2003 :  2:20:56 PM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
Hi Cate,

It's only a matter of time until you succumb to that feeling you're getting now about wanting to go to your local yarn shop with an idea for a new project. Then, shortly after you notice that becoming a regular occurence, you'll just want to buzz by to "check out" any new yarns, or just to revel in the colors and gorgeous blends! Ah, yes, and then low and behold you'll look around and wonder just where did all this yarn come from .....and you, like most of the rest of us knitaholics, will have your own "stash".

Hugs, Patience
Go to Top of Page

Pinky Yarn
Permanent Resident

USA
1045 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2004 :  3:38:46 PM  Show Profile Send Pinky Yarn a Private Message
new WIP update..

baby blanket, that HAS to get done, i procrastinated on that, im gunna be knitting constantly till its done, its kinda fun to knit though

started a hat for my brother

black chenille scarf for my mom

a pink scarf that may get ripped out and made less wide..dunno, depends on how much i already have done

and a sock thats been put on hold until i get some of this other stuff out of the way..i think tahts all

A life without God is hardly a life at all.
Go to Top of Page

Tam
Permanent Resident

Australia
2810 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2004 :  7:31:14 PM  Show Profile Send Tam a Private Message
I have 2 WIP on the needles which is ok, but my biggest problem is when I have finished all the pieces of a jumper or cardigan I can't be bothered sewing them up; it is almost as if in my mind the garment is finished when the knitting process is finished. My other favourite hobby is dress making and I can't just sit down and make something, I need to have a reason adn a deadline to work towards; unfortunately, my knitting is just for enjoyment so a lot of things get sewn up a long time later!

Happy Knitting,
Tam
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2004 :  10:07:38 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Tam, contact some of the yarn shops in your area as most of the ones here offer a sewing up service. Yes, you have to pay but it finishes your project and let's you do what you enjoy. Work a few more hours, eat some more beans and rice, it's worth paying someone if you flat out don't enjoy it.

Monika

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.67 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?