Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Completion Issues?
 Anyone Game for a Challenge?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  12:01:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message
Tam, I will sew them up for you, that's no problem at all!

Wen
Go to Top of Page

Da Stitcher
Chatty Knitter

USA
216 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2004 :  04:38:13 AM  Show Profile Send Da Stitcher a Private Message
So, how is everyone doing on finishing up their projects?

When you acquire the intestinal fortitude to make a list of everything that needs to be finished....look at each one with a critical eye and ask yourself if you really want to finish it.

Just because it's been started doesn't mean it has to be finished. Sometimes we start things just to see if we can do them. If you've changed your mind about the project, frog it and use the yarn for something else.

Once you have a list of items to finish, promise yourself to work on each one for a certain time. An hour, five hours, whatever. As soon as you reach that deadline, put the project away, and work on the next one on the list, rotating all the projects until one is finished. At that time, if you like, reward yourself by starting a new project. Or, if you're really disciplined, keep on with your rotation till everything is done! Then start a new project.

This rotation method allows you to start as many projects as you like because you know you'll work on each one as soon as it's turn comes up. It also keeps UFOs (UnFinished Objects) from crying out to you to be worked on. They all know they will get their turn. :)

In the mean time, it's already time to start making Christmas lists of what to make for Christmas 2004!

Becky
da_stitcher@yahoo.com
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tucson_socknitters
Go to Top of Page

Jacqueline
Gabber Extraordinaire

Australia
509 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2004 :  4:29:50 PM  Show Profile Send Jacqueline a Private Message
I am with Tam as far as sewing up projects goes! I despise it! And would be more than happy to send them to my local yarn shop for completion. Just the thought of it gives me the shivers.

On the other hand I also take immense pride in my work - so I wish I felt comfortable enough to do my own sewing up - because I like the thought of finishing a project completely. I plan on taking a finishing class this year (another one) to try and nail these techniques. I think it is a lot to do with confidence though.

As far as my WIP's go - I have 4 on the go currently.

1) A wool/mohair sweater for my godmother. It is from Rowan 28 called Kiri with a big turtleneck collar. Made from Rowan Kid Classic which I bought at the last Colourway clearance sale it has been a joy to knit during this hot Australian Summer. I just have the front left to knit - everything else is done.

2) A Opal sock for my SO. I have finished the first one - but the second one seems to have been on the needles forver. I need to employ Fran's 10 min rule with this one I think. I'd love to finish it off.

3) A Rowan denim sweater for the SO again. The back is completed but need to get onto the front now.

4) A Rowan Summer Tweed Sweater for me. It is the one of the front cover of the Summer Tweed book. Again the back is completed but nothing else.

The major problem is that I have some wonderful projects just waiting for me to start them - but I am determined not to have any more projects on the go. In fact I would like to whittle it down to 2-3 projects at any one time! And the 3rd project must be a minor one!

Jacqueline

Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground
Go to Top of Page

Catmom
Warming Up

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  10:44:23 PM  Show Profile Send Catmom a Private Message
Here's what I do when I need to finish things: sewing them, weaving in the loose ends: crocheting them--whatever I need to do. I make a "rule": right now for the first 30 minutes of any given hour I have to work on completion and for the final 30 minutes of the hour, I can work on new projects.
Go to Top of Page

Tam
Permanent Resident

Australia
2810 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2004 :  4:44:27 PM  Show Profile Send Tam a Private Message
Catmom,
I should apply that rule because the 2 things I have that are waiting to be sewn up are for my 2-y-o DD and they won't take much more that 30 mins!! I am just bad at starting and very good at procrastinating, but once I start I will do all the finishing at once (does this make sense?!)

Happy Knitting,
Tam

A day in which you learn something is not a wasted day.
Go to Top of Page

Catmom
Warming Up

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2004 :  5:21:15 PM  Show Profile Send Catmom a Private Message
Tam, you are making perfect sense to me. Once you break through that procrastination barrier, you can go full speed ahead. I am like that as well, and not merely about knitting projects and completing them.

Good luck completing your projects. You can't wait too many years with something for a two-year old, or you'll just have to have another child instead, which is a serious way of transforming one's life because of a reluctance to finish a project :-)

Natalie

-- "A fool would know that with tweeds one wears gold, and that with evening clothes one wears platinum."
The Duchess of Windsor

-- "The thing that impresses me most about America is the way parents obey their children."
The Duke of Windsor "
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.