Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Book recommendations and questions
 The Principles of Knitting
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2003 :  10:15:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
I finally saw this book in person!!! I was at LYS and they had one copy that was their reference book and of course not for sale. I looked through it and it is very textbook-like. Someone on Amazon compared it to the knitting version of The Joy of Cooking and I think that is a good analogy. Do I want to own this book? YESSSS! Do I want to pay over $200 for it? Not really..........but it is easily available on all used book sites for anyone who does want to pay (usually $225 - $250 from what I have found).

myshelle10
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2003 :  12:14:56 AM  Show Profile Send myshelle10 a Private Message
Didn't someone say there would be a reprint sometime soon? Any idea when? Whoever has the knowledge, come on out!

myshelle

Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2003 :  02:50:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
Gail on KnitU has repeatedly reported that Ms. Hiatt is working on a second edition - no telling when, if ever, it will be reprinted.

Bess
http://likethequeen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Parrot Girl
Permanent Resident

2129 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2003 :  08:44:38 AM  Show Profile Send Parrot Girl a Private Message
If this ever comes out in a new (ie cheaper than $200) edition, I'll snarf up a copy before the ink is dry!

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined." Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

argus
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
595 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2003 :  10:30:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit argus's Homepage Send argus a Private Message
I can't imagine paying > $200 for the book, when the information it carries can be easily found elsewhere. If I am not mistaken, there were several knitting instructional books published recently. Unless this particular book reinvents the wheel, I can't see how it became so popular. I guess, it is the fact of the book being out of print...

Argus

Carpe diem.
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1752 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2003 :  11:27:13 AM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message
I have this book - bought it years ago, and by far, it is the book I turn to first when I need to learn something new. The high price is probably partly due to the low availability, but I wouldn't sell my copy for any price.

I have other instructional books, and do use them as well, particularly the Vogue book. I really like the illustrations in the Vogue book, but for complete and thorough information, in my opinion, the Hiatt book is the best.

Kim

Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4403 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2003 :  2:11:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
I second Kim's comments - I have hundreds of knitting books and this is still the most prized one in my collection. It's not a great pattern book, nor is it that deep on specific stitches, it's just a fantastic huge overall epic ode to all that is knitting and fiber. I've kept a few of my college textbooks for the same reason - I may not refer to them every day, but when I pick them up and start leafing, I have that wonderful feeling of learning something new. Every time.

I do hope it comes back in print at a more affordable price, because it - along with Knitting in America - deserve to be on every serious knitter's shelf. (And even the comedic knitters too!)

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2003 :  3:27:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
Gotta ditto Kim and Clara - it's the utter comprehensiveness of the book - it comes the closest to being the complete encyclopedia.

I have favorite articles from other how-to books. I love Maggie Righetti's article on blocking, for example - better than Hiatt's. But for the deepest treatment of our craft, this is the best. I borrowed it from a library a year or so ago and was utterly swept away. I am soooo jealous of certain people who own their own copies.

Bess
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2003 :  5:52:16 PM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
Bess, I am also so envious of CERTAIN people who are blessed in owning a copy of this book! Maybe they have one because they are old knitters????

Does anyone know when this book is going to come out again??? Otherwise I might ask everyone who asks me what I want for Christmas to donate $$ to go towards my purchase of the book. I'm not sure tho' if I would spend that much on a book. Think of all the yarn and notions I could buy w/ that much money! Maybe I can wait until this book is reissued. Well, gotta get dinner in the oven. Take care.

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

Elizabeth
Permanent Resident

USA
1557 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2003 :  7:51:35 PM  Show Profile Send Elizabeth a Private Message
I've been tracking this book on eBay and it is routinely selling for US$150-175--which is a little cheaper than the Amazon and Half.com prices, but still too expensive for me! I'm hoping for a reprint or second edition.

Go to Top of Page

marty_s
New Pal

32 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2003 :  5:12:45 PM  Show Profile Send marty_s a Private Message
Any idea who the publisher is for the reprint?

I contacted the publisher of the original edition a few months ago to ask if they planned to reprint it and they said no.

quote:
Originally posted by BessH

Gail on KnitU has repeatedly reported that Ms. Hiatt is working on a second edition - no telling when, if ever, it will be reprinted.

Bess

Go to Top of Page

Margie Mum
New Pal

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2003 :  8:53:15 PM  Show Profile Send Margie Mum a Private Message
I own POK -- bought it new for the $35 list price. And don't use it much.

I find other books easier to use, not to mention more friendly. That one is so completely against the picking way of knitting and thinks circular knitting is wrong.

It does have a great range of cast ons and offs, though. Many of them I've not seen elsewhere. Right now it's almost at the end of a year's visit with a friend I met at Stitches. She loaned me a video for a year, I loaned her POK. Haven't missed it at all.

Margie

Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2003 :  10:05:30 PM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
Welcome to the forum Margie. I haven't seen you around before so I thought I'd better say hi! I'm glad you gave your idea on Principles of Knitting. I like different views to mull over in my mind. This way I'm not so disappointed that I can't afford it! Thanks. You are so welcomed to the forum. Your input is valuable. How long have you been knitting? What's your favorite things to knit? I look forward to reading more postings from you.

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2003 :  10:20:41 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi. Vicky: When we meet next for lunch I shall bring Principles of Knitting. I believe it is rather like the La Rousse Gastronomique of knitting. Can you believe I have two La Rousse. I note they have a new edition but I am not getting it. Too old--don't need it. The other two are being shipped off to the niece as we speak. The old aunt knows what to do. Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

spinner?
Chatty Knitter

143 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2003 :  10:26:09 PM  Show Profile Send spinner? a Private Message
Yikes!! >$200?? Sorry, but that's way outta my league! Any suggestions for substitutions?
Go to Top of Page

MissPooh
Angel

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2003 :  09:43:11 AM  Show Profile Send MissPooh a Private Message
This is my favorite reference book and I wish I owned a copy. I seem to be the only one who borrows it from my library so I consider it to be my own personal copy - just a bit inconveniently located at times.

Mary Lou
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2003 :  12:42:34 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by MissPooh

This is my favorite reference book and I wish I owned a copy. I seem to be the only one who borrows it from my library so I consider it to be my own personal copy - just a bit inconveniently located at times.

Mary Lou

I know exactly what you mean. I feel the same way. And of courese yuo need it for somethig as soon as you've returned it, right?

Barbara

Remember, we're self-selecting!
Go to Top of Page

ET
Sustaining Member

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2004 :  02:49:29 AM  Show Profile Send ET a Private Message
I checked out this book from the library and it's really amazing! Maybe if a lot of people contact the publisher, they will reprint this book. I emailed them and am waiting to hear back. Here's the email address and the info I gave when I made my request:

Consumer.CustomerService@simonandschuster.com

Title: The Principles of Knitting: Methods and Techniques of Hand Knitting
Author: June Hemmons Hiatt
ISBN: 0671552333
Publishing Date: January 1989

Edina

"All things are literally better, lovelier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making." John Ruskin
Go to Top of Page

M. Shawn
Chatty Knitter

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2004 :  11:07:15 AM  Show Profile Send M. Shawn a Private Message
Hi all! I too am one of the fortunate owners of POK. Until today, I didn't realize how lucky. I only paid $15.00 for it at a used bookstore. For those of you who are trying to find it, start shopping in out of the way places and maybe you'll have some luck.

As for my opinion of the book, I think it is both fantastic and terrible. I collect knitting books and read them cover to cover. This one is dull, dull, dull to read that way so I'm knitting my way through it. That is an AMAZING way to learn new techniques. Ms. Hiatt has gathered every technique that you've ever imagined and put them under one cover. I LOVE this aspect of the book. The thing that I dislike about the book is that she doesn't seem to ever identify the technique by its popular abbreviation. There are so many different types of decreases and increases. When pattern writers insert the direction into a pattern, they use an abbreviation. It helps me to see that abbreviation next to the technical directions for the technique -- sort of imprints it on my mind better. Still, this is a small thing and more a pet peeve than a true complaint about the book.

She has also created some new language for describing knitting techniques. I admit that her language is more technically clear but it is not what the average knitter is accustomed to reading and it makes the book difficult to understand at times. For example, she discusses the rightside and wrongside of the project as inside and outside. And stitch directions are given in terms of inside of the fabric, outside of the fabric, nearside of the stitch and farside of the stitch.

I am VERY happy to have this book and I am thoroughly amazed at what a comprehensive volume it is but I do think that there are aspects which make it a very confusing text. My last thought is that this book is a great book but not necessarily the book a beginner should purchase.

M. Shawn
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2599 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2004 :  2:07:18 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message
I too am one of the lucky "Old" knitters who bought this book way way back in the 90's for something at or below list price. Yes yes it is DULL, but yes yes yes it is comprehensive. When I want to "learn", I love that. But when I just want to get an answer and get on with my knitting, I go to my Vogue "Ultimate" Knitting book. It is so much friendlier and to the point, and the pictures are fabulous.
Go to Top of Page

Margie Mum
New Pal

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2004 :  8:50:23 PM  Show Profile Send Margie Mum a Private Message
I certainly understand checking out a book from the library early and often. In my library system, if I book isn't checked out x times in y amount of months, it gets removed because we need the space. So, if you want the book to remain in your library, **borrow it**!

I'm Grand Poo Bah Book Sorter for our Friends of the Library book sale. Once in a g-r-e-a-t while I'll find a knitting book. Try your Friends of the Library book sales. You never know what'll show up. If possible, offer to help sort donated books.

As to suggestions for basic reference books, I like

- Knitter's Handbook by Montse Stanley
- all four Elizabeth Zimmerman books, esp. Knitting Without Tears. Not at all dull!
- Mary Thomas Knitting Book

Just got Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques and don't know it well yet.

Margie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.88 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.