Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Yarn Stores Around the Globe
 Yarn Shops in Westchester County
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jakesmom
New Pal

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2003 :  1:13:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit jakesmom's Homepage Send jakesmom a Private Message
I have many opinions on this subject. My most favorite shop in Westchester is a new one in Irvington - Flying Fingers Yarn Shop. The shop is beautiful - bright and cheery. It's owned by a husband and wife team who are very helpful and just plain nice. The yarn selection is spectacular. They stock mostly natural fibers, with a few noteable exceptions. I also like Inn Stitches in Rye. The store is cramped and a little disorganized, but kind of homey at the same time. If you are in Northern Westchester, it's worth a drive to Yarn Central in Hopewell Junction. She has every yarn ever produced on her shelves (or so it seems). It also, is slightly lacking in atmosphere, but it hardly matters - her selection is so good. Now for the bad: I would NEVER ever shop at Lee's Yarn Center in Beford Hills. Lee and his staff (who he never seems to be able to hang on to for very long) are nasty. They are not helpful and on occasion, really really mean. The shop is industrial looking and very cold feeling. He does stock some nice yarns, but nothing that I wouldn't drive a little further to buy. (I have pretty strong opinions on the subject...)

Amy (jakesmom)
http://www.iknitting.com

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2367 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2003 :  7:47:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message
Welcome, Amy! I think we must be twins separated at birth, because if you look at the archives on yarn stores, you would see that I've voiced almost all of the exact same opinions as you have above.

Seriously, though, it's nice to see another neighbor - where do you live? Are you a WKG member? Have you heard of our Knitting Meetups around the county?

Sehlia (White Plains, but definately a traveling knitter to get together with others around here)
Go to Top of Page

of troy
Permanent Resident

USA
2474 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2003 :  09:56:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit of troy's Homepage Send of troy a Private Message
are either of you familiar with Goldman Yarns? it used to be in the bronx (first on Kingsbridge Rd by Fordham Rd, then on Grand Concourse (bewteen fordham and kingsbridge)--or is it the other way round? well they had 2 locations in the bronx. Now they are in lower westchester. it was my LYS for the first 10 years i was knitting. it was full of 'grandmothers' who were sales consultants, and knitting teachers. (and their son's who thought they 'owned' the business.) they have email but no web site.

i get up to westchester infrequently, i was wondering if anyone knows what the store is like now. (it used to be as big as 'city' supermarket-- huge really for a knitting/needlecraft store!)is it worth making a detour to the next time i am on the mainland?
Go to Top of Page

jakesmom
New Pal

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2003 :  09:58:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit jakesmom's Homepage Send jakesmom a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by of troy

are either of you familiar with Goldman Yarns? it used to be in the bronx (first on Kingsbridge Rd by Fordham Rd, then on Grand Concourse (bewteen fordham and kingsbridge)--or is it the other way round? well they had 2 locations in the bronx. Now they are in lower westchester. it was my LYS for the first 10 years i was knitting. it was full of 'grandmothers' who were sales consultants, and knitting teachers. (and their son's who thought they 'owned' the business.) they have email but no web site.

i get up to westchester infrequently, i was wondering if anyone knows what the store is like now. (it used to be as big as 'city' supermarket-- huge really for a knitting/needlecraft store!)is it worth making a detour to the next time i am on the mainland?

Amy (jakesmom)
Go to Top of Page

jakesmom
New Pal

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2003 :  10:00:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit jakesmom's Homepage Send jakesmom a Private Message
Goldman's is on Rte. 100 in Hartsdale, just outside White Plains. They carry lots of yarn, but mostly lower end stuff. They do carry some high end yarns, but they tend to have just one or two colors from a particular line. They are open Sunday, which is useful if you are desperate, but the ambiance is severely lacking. There's nothing wrong with the store, I just don't particularly love it there. Hope this helps...

Amy (jakesmom)
Go to Top of Page

jakesmom
New Pal

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2003 :  10:04:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit jakesmom's Homepage Send jakesmom a Private Message
Hi Sheila - I live in Katonah. I don't belong to a guild, but we just started a knitting group on Tuesday / Wednesday mornings at our local coffee shop. Check out my website for the details. I am a working (single) mom, so I have kind of a weird schedule and mornings are an okay time for me to knit with friends, but some of my other working friends have suggested that we make it an evening thing. Where do you do most of your group knitting?

Amy (jakesmom)
Go to Top of Page

tellerspoint
Warming Up

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2003 :  3:22:26 PM  Show Profile Send tellerspoint a Private Message
Hey! I'm glad I found this topic! I live in Ossining. I, too, am not enamoured of Lee's or Goldman's. Goldman's is too dark lighting-wise. Flying Fingers is very nice. Inn Stitches is just as you say. I look forward to looking at Hopewell Jct., too. Perhaps the most special place for me is at Marymount College in Tarrytown. There, on the 4th floor of Marian Hall is a textile dept. Its geared towards weavers-there are at least 10 looms in this one room. Yet the shelves are nearly floor to ceiling of fibers. They are extremely welcoming towards me and I love it there. Some of the fibers are best for weaving and you won't find all super high end ultra stuff you'd find elswehere. However, Ann who runs the place with Sr. Bianca has a great eye for color and quality. I am fond of these women. Its a very quiet and meditative place.
Go to Top of Page

tyrone
Warming Up

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2003 :  9:12:40 PM  Show Profile Send tyrone a Private Message
Can you tell us more about the textile department at Marymount? Is this open to students only, or can the general public also stop in and shop.
Go to Top of Page

Laurie K
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2004 :  11:44:38 AM  Show Profile Send Laurie K a Private Message
The Center for the Fiber Arts is a wonderful place for weavers. Sr. Bianca Haglich and Ann Eaton run an extraordinary studio for those wishing to learn to weave. There are about 2 dozen looms and lots of yarns, many suitable for knitters but mostly geared for the weavers. They come in all variety of fiber and measure, cones, skeins and reels. Irecommend this special place to any fiber lover. they are open Wednesdays through Saturdays. Call 914 3328242 for specific hours and be sure to tell them Laurie sent you.

Laurie who weaves and knits
Go to Top of Page

Laurie K
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  07:45:00 AM  Show Profile Send Laurie K a Private Message
Sorry computer glitch. The Center for the Fiber Arts is the weaving Center at Marymount College
Go to Top of Page

Spinnerella
Permanent Resident

1040 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  10:01:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Spinnerella's Homepage Send Spinnerella a Private Message
Hey, all you Westchester folks: come on over to Connecticut! Stamford, right off 95, has a great new shop (Knitting Together) which gets better every time I get down there. There is also a new, very high end shop, in Greenwich, also right off 95. I have heard there is a new one in Darien and there is also a shop in Trumbull, but I have no personal experience with either. In Western Connecticut, Stitch in Time in Bethel (east of Danbury) started out as a needlepoint/cross stitch shop but has expanded greatly in the yarn department over the past year and has wonderful stuff. Way north, but still convenient from I-84, is Selma's in Southbury in the Heritage Village complex. Tiny shop but a great selection and very knowledgeable staff.
Go to Top of Page

Julie_K
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2004 :  12:45:15 PM  Show Profile Send Julie_K a Private Message
Hi all, I am glad to have found this forum.
I just want to put in a good word for Goldman's. I didn't know it in its past incarnations in the Bronx, but it has been the closest thing I've had to a LYS for years. They stayed around through all the years when knitting was not the Big Thing, and for that I am grateful. They have tons of knitted up sweaters, scarfs, baby sweaters, etc,etc hanging all over so you can see what a yarn looks like knitted up. The whole ambiance is definitely not hip, but don't you enjoy that too? to go into a yarn store that's been there forever, that comes from another era.

Now the new Flying Fingers in Irvington is closer, and its really lovely, very hip, warm and friendly.

To tell the truth, where I used to spend the most money was mail order from Patternworks, which was so close that I'd get things almost as soon as I hung up the phone - like Amazon. Now that they've moved (to NH?) it takes longer, which is expectable, but seems to me it should really be only a day or so longer. It takes a good week to get anything. I tried to talk to them about that on the phone, but they didn't seem too interested. In this day and age I think fast shipping should not be too difficult. If they don't improve, I will stop ordering from them.

Well this turned into a long message! Nice to discover you all here. After I return to work Monday, I'll probably fade back into the e-ethers.
Julie
Go to Top of Page

HAmom
Chatty Knitter

USA
105 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2004 :  3:43:14 PM  Show Profile Send HAmom a Private Message
I went to Flying Fingers in Westchester today...what an adorable shop..the owner was such wonderful! The place is hip...friendly...and just so incredible. Definitely make a trip to visit........
Go to Top of Page

Ilonka
Chatty Knitter

141 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2004 :  2:00:41 PM  Show Profile Send Ilonka a Private Message
Hi, I am totally blown away by this site. Logged on yesterday. Need to check out all these shops. There is a very quaint shop in Pawling. Overstuffed. Marie has been there a long time. Yarn Central was nice last year, now she lost direction with what she wants to carry.If you know your yarns www.yarn.com ( Webs in Massachusetts is good and gives discounts. Helene

Helene M. Diener
Go to Top of Page

PamS
Seriously Hooked

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  09:16:10 AM  Show Profile Send PamS a Private Message
I live in Westchester as well; close to Marymount. I never knew there was a fiber/weaver center, although I'm not much for looms and spinning wheels--too complicated for me to master--I'm a klutz.

I want to second almost everything I've read here--Flying Fingers is terrific! Plus, they offer workshops and they're open on Thursday nights--for that work week fix. I agree about Lee's--his sales help are really nasty and not much help. However, when he runs a sale, he's worth the trip. But now that Flying Fingers is here (just a town away from me), I see no need to trek up to Bedford. As for Golman's, the old coot who's still kicking and owns the place is soooooooo nasty and he treats his sales people like dirt. I hate that store.

Now, where is Hopewell Junction? I can't believe that there's a store that I missed! I really didn't like Inn Stitches.

--Pam from Tarrytown, NY
Go to Top of Page

PamS
Seriously Hooked

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  09:25:17 AM  Show Profile Send PamS a Private Message
One more yarn shop to trash in Westchester County--Yarn and Notions in White Plains opposite Sam Asch music store. They are UNfriendly and rude. They mostly sell Lion's Brand and Plymouth, and their prices are OUTRAGEOUS--as much as $4 above everyone else. If it were the last LYS, I still wouldn't go there.

Pam from Tarrytown, NY
Go to Top of Page

of troy
Permanent Resident

USA
2474 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  10:25:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit of troy's Homepage Send of troy a Private Message
PamS- The old coot who 'runs' goldmans yarn shop is most likely the grandson of the first Mr Goldman (who was an old man when i was a child!)

and i really dislike your line [red]One more yarn shop to trash [/bred]--i don't think these thread are about trashing yarn shops, but about sharing information.
some times the information is less than positive, but its not really about trashing.

No store is perfect for everyone. Goldman's is a family owned concern (and years ago, most of the 'employee's' were also family!) and when i taught myself to knit, (and i knit in an unusual style) and my mother (a member of the knitting police) had nothing nice to say about it, one of the bubba's (grandmothers) in Goldman's looked at my work, and was surprized (Are you Lithawanian? she asked) and when i said no, Irish, she shook her head, and said, No matter, lets sit down and figure out what to do!--and we did.

I haven't been in one of their shops (for a while they did have 2 stores in the bronx) for decades, but the memory of the bubba's will forever make Goldmans one of my favorite Yarn shops.

I haven't yet been to seaport yarns, but yes, the owner (who i vaguely know) is a wonderful warm person. I have been to KnitNY-and while i personally don't like the store (i have been there for Meet Ups, and i think its a particularlly [b]unsuitable[b] location,) --i think part of many manhattan stores is over the top High Style. It not the worst thing in the world, its not my style, --and never was, but its not worst place in the world.
Go to Top of Page

PamS
Seriously Hooked

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  1:24:09 PM  Show Profile Send PamS a Private Message
Apologies to all who didn't quite get my sense of humor--but I'm really irked at Yarn and Notions in White Plains--particulary as many people who would shop that store because it's near public transportation and near many apartments are being ripped off. And, some of these folks are on limited budgets and can't afford to be ripped off and that makes me angry.

And, as to the original Goldman--I'm happy that you had a fond memory there. But I remember on at least two occasions, one getting knitting advice and the other needlework advice when I had just spent a fortune, that whatever Mr. Goldman was there, he berated the sales persons in front of me for wasting time and to go on to the next customer. Now that's not nice. Remember my complaint was with him, not his poor overworked sales help.

--Pam
Go to Top of Page

Laurie K
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
448 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  8:01:54 PM  Show Profile Send Laurie K a Private Message
I am familiar with almost all the shops in Westchester and frequent many of them. Yes, there are plusses and minuses with many of them but
I haven't seen my favorite shop mentioned here. Distinctive Yarns in Harrison is my yarn shop heaven. It is a small shop with a wide range of yarns. They offer a sophisticated selection and a good choice of colors and fibers for all kinds of knitters. They even have a great sale basket for those looking for a bargain. Only problem is that they are only open about 4 days a week Tues, Thurs, Fri and Sat. from about 9;30-5:30 PM Check with them for their current schedule.

You also might consider driving into Greenwich for The Knitting Niche. It is a pretty, well-lit shop. I thought the ambience was lovely there.
Go to Top of Page

coleemal@clientlogic.com
New Pal

42 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2004 :  06:59:35 AM  Show Profile Send coleemal@clientlogic.com a Private Message
Hi! I am headed over to Flying Fingers this morning for their "sit and knit"...I have never been...I love the store so I am interested to try this out....I am playing hooky from work...I work from home most days so my phone will be for forward for a few hours!..and just going to enjoy myself!
Go to Top of Page

coleemal@clientlogic.com
New Pal

42 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2004 :  07:37:30 AM  Show Profile Send coleemal@clientlogic.com a Private Message
You are not going to believe this! Just as I finished typing the last message about Flying Finger and "sit and knit" my daughters school called that her eyes look funny and itchy/crusty....PINK EYE...so off to school I went to get her...there went playing hookey!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.84 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?