Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Poll Feedback
 Explain your answers!
 this week's poll
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2002 :  10:06:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
I spent a long time trying to figure out the true answer to that poll - but it has been a long time since I had trouble figuring out what I wanted to do in a particular project. Mostly I've been knitting things that are pretty easy. So when i thought back to the last time a real problem came up i had to admit, it got tossed in the drawer, gone but not forgotten because i spent so much money on the yarn. I hope (intend to) I rip it and reknit the stuff because I think now I can make something I like out of it.

jenni feldman
New Pal

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2002 :  11:18:00 AM  Show Profile Send jenni feldman a Private Message
I also had a hard time - 'cause I needed the one that says "all of the above"

Hi, Jenni here - got back to knitting about 3 years ago, discovered knitlists on the 'net, and am trying to decide which is the more addicting! (<G>) Re-discovered socks, and 2 Circs, which made me love socks all the more - I must say the magazines, and patterns, and books, oh my! that are available now (as compared to my last subscription: McCall's (!) up to 1987....) are mind-bending!!! (does that tell my age? well, 50+...)

Lovely to meet up with such crafty people (and I mean that in a good way!), you all are very encouraging!

jenni
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4398 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2002 :  1:23:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
Welcome Jenni! And I'm sorry that the poll answers don't always cover every possible perspective. That's the curse of having a fixed-answer program like that. Thank goodness for the forums!

There's some group of artisans (my mind draws a blank right now) who intentionally place a small error in all of their works. I think they're Native American rug weavers? Anyway, the reason is that it keeps them from treading too close to something only God should be able to achieve (perfection).

Of course I totally seized on this story. Anytime someone says, "That's a lovely sweater... why is one arm shorter than the other?" I can bluff big time, explaining why, in fact, the mistake was intentional. Whether they believe it or not is another story!

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2309 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2002 :  8:32:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
You're right about the Native Americans, I think the Navajos do that(said from Navajo country) and I remember visiting the U.N. Building on a field trip, as a kid, and they said that same thing about one of the Middle East countries, I believe. There was a large rug from that country hanging on one of the walls, and they said that they alway weave a mistake in, because only God was perfect. (Too many years to remember the exact details ) Barb

Go to Top of Page

knitter2568
Chatty Knitter

Germany
146 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2002 :  11:08:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitter2568's Homepage Send knitter2568 a Private Message
Hi all,

I had no trouble answering the poll. If there's a mistake somewhere in my knitting it has to be fixed or I won't wear the garment. However, there are visible mistakes and invisible mistakes. If I work on a pattern like cables the mistake has to be fixed. If I'm working on a sleeve and I notice that I forgot an increase last row, I make the increase the next row. It won't ruin the shape and nobody will ever know. I freqently check my work when I'm knitting. I check if I'm still in pattern and if there's any dropped stitches. I have to admit that I recently made a little scarf from very hairy mohair and I'm sure I made mistakes increasing. The yarn was so hairy that I wasn't able to find the mistakes though.

Happy Knitting,
Knitter2568
knitter@newsguy.com
http://www.geocities.com/knitter2568
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=knitter2568
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2002 :  02:10:49 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
In quilting there is the "devil's eye" A deliberate mistake to draw the devil's eye to the mistake instead of the person lying under the quilt.

Personally, I never did it. I trusted my own abilities to provide the devil with enough mistakes......LOL

Fran

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?