Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Poll Feedback
 Suggest a poll
 Other hobbies?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2002 :  7:28:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I'm curious what other hobbies people have - do we tend to only knit, or also do other fiber arts (needlepoint, quilting, crocheting) or are we artists who paint or play musical instruments (including the voice) as hobbies? Cooking? (shudder to think) Cleaning? Excercise?

What are we doing when we aren't knitting? (far and few between as those times are)

Myself, when I'm not knitting, I'm probably reading, which I do a lot, or playing a computer game (The Sims is addictive in a power-hungry overlord kinda way), which I do much less frequently. I do enjoy other crafts, but tend to only do them when I have a specific project or goal - not as a past-time, but as a way of making something a little more special than store-bought, such as the litter-box-privacy-screen I'll be working on this weekend.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."

Marjorie
Seriously Hooked

New Zealand
605 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2002 :  7:41:10 PM  Show Profile Send Marjorie a Private Message
Knitting is my real passion but I also like crotchet,cross stitch,hardanger,reading,collecting bags (yum) and patterns which I have told my family I intend to knit them all before I die. My daughter thinks I'll be here forever.I loath cooking and cleaning.
Marjorie

Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2002 :  9:37:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
I'm also a fledgling potter (my teacher calls my pots "interesting..." sigh) and an avid gardner, reader and DIY home decor addict.

Go to Top of Page

ginny
Chatty Knitter

USA
279 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2002 :  11:49:18 AM  Show Profile Send ginny a Private Message

Lissa,

I love working out in my yard and garden. There is something endlessly fascinating about planting a little brown seed and then watching it grow. My son, who is now 20, also enjoys gardening. When he was little, he went to nursery school and told his teacher that we had planted 106 bulbs.

As soon as it warms up a bit more, I want to get out to the vegetable garden and plant some peas and broccoli. Then, I will be anxiously waiting for my asparagus to come up. I just love fresh asparagus and it is so expensive at the store. I just laugh and say,"I got mine for $0.00 per lb."

Happy Gardening!

ginny

Go to Top of Page

Simplicitly
Chatty Knitter

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2002 :  12:34:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Simplicitly's Homepage Send Simplicitly a Private Message
Besides knitting...*IS* there anything else!?!? No really, I do a lot of crafty things, I don't think I could list them all. scrapbooking, candle making, soap making (cold process), paper mache things, t-shirt painting/applique, sewing, dabble in gardening (my seedlings are coming along nicely!), other personal care product making (everything from shave cream to lip balm to hair removal syrup - and more), reading (just re-read the chronicles of narnia), cooking gourmet meals once in a while, and last but not least, I work on cars to make them faster, and then race them at the track :) My car just left Texas to come and join us and I'm SO excited!!!
Me working on my car: http://www.nolke.com/SyTy/nextphase/master-mechanic.jpg

Anyway -- that's about it. I'm thinking of trying some new things like marblizing paper. But for now I just need to finish this baby blanket!!!

Shetha

Novice Crafter
Professional Geek
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2366 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2002 :  1:54:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message
I've always done cross-stitch and embroidery off and on, and have sewn most of my clothes up until the last few years. I also do stamping and scrapbooking, which is new for me in the last couple of years, but is doing wonders to reduce the stacks of photos that had accumulated (I'm the only one in my extended family that always has a camera handy when there's something going on).

So this means that not only do I have a knitting stash, I have sewing, embroidery and scrapping (paper, stamps and pens)stashes! Good thing we have an extra bedroom.

Shelia

Go to Top of Page

Marjorie
Seriously Hooked

New Zealand
605 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2002 :  5:15:32 PM  Show Profile Send Marjorie a Private Message
Although I say I loath cooking I do love making home made bread etc.I do have a bread maker but much prefer getting my hands into it.I'm making hot cross buns at the moment.Can you smell them cooking?Yum.

Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2002 :  5:37:50 PM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
Knitting is my first love, followed by crocheting and <gasp> cooking. I don't cook as often as I used to when my 5 (count em, 5) kids were all at home. Now I'm down to 2 and they are in college and working part time, so many times I just fix something quick for DH and I.

When I'm watching television, my favorite thing is to pop in a tape (I have several) of one of my favorites which are: Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett, Poirot, or Inspector Morse! I love these 3 and it's comical the way my family will now say "don't tell me you're going to watch one of your tapes AGAIN?" As a matter of fact, I am.....with a hot pot of tea, naturally!

Regards, Patience
Go to Top of Page

Marjorie
Seriously Hooked

New Zealand
605 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2002 :  5:49:53 PM  Show Profile Send Marjorie a Private Message
Oh yes Patience I forgotabout the tea.There's always time for a cuppa and visitors always know that the jug is always hot at my house.My family bought me an absolutly enormous cup for Xmas

Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2002 :  7:19:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
If I am not knitting I am probably reading. I will read just about anything including labels. When I am all alone (like that ever happens) I have been known to read and knit. Ah... give me a hot cup of tea and let me read and knit at the same time and I am one happy woman. (you could throw in some chocolate to make the idea complete!)

My husband and I are working together to landscape our yard. After 15 years I finally convinced him he needed a hobby that didn't have a keyboard attached. Two weekends ago we planted a Lemon tree. It is so pretty! Now he wants to re-do the patio. I want a swing I can sit in and knit.

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2002 :  3:02:45 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
In my lifetime I've done anything and everything that could be done with a needle, hook, or shuttle. Now I sew about 3 times a year when I can sit that long and my hands shake too much to use a hand sewing needle. I used to quilt extensively. I also loved DIY home decorating, gardening, especially herbs, but I had to stop that 2 years ago. I raised herbs hydroponically and they were lovely. I had quite a reputation as a gourmet cook and collected cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. As a single mother, I learned to do my own plumbing, electrical work, and home repairs, I refinished "old" not antique, furniture instead of buying new. Now I just read, surf the net, and knit.

Fran

Go to Top of Page

jdroeger
Chatty Knitter

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2002 :  10:11:02 AM  Show Profile Send jdroeger a Private Message
Wow - reading all these posts makes me feel like I need more hobbies! You all are such a talented group.

I really don't have much time between a full-time job and two little kids but when I'm not knitting, I crochet (baby blankets almost exclusively). I'm trying to make time for yoga, which I love and I know would be really good for me.

I used to read lots but since I spend so much time reading at work I haven't really been able to bring myself to read for pleasure. I don't particularly like cooking and I although I'd love to garden, I don't have a green thumb (and the fact that I live in the city with no balcony right now means that I don't have the opportunity to develop one anyway!) When I have spare time (which is all too rare) I like to play the piano (well, the keyboard - not much room for a piano in our 2 bedroom apt.) and sing show tunes.

Before having kids, I loved to play computer games (love the old Sim City but I've never played the new versions). The problem is that they're addicting - DH and I have agreed that we can never own a Nintendo or the like, we'd never spend quality time with our kids!

I figure that once the kids are older and more independent - especially once I retire (if I can ever afford to!), I'll have more time to explore other hobbies.

Jessica (procrastinating right now . . . must - get - back - to - work!)

Go to Top of Page

Smock7
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
491 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2002 :  4:20:21 PM  Show Profile Send Smock7 a Private Message
Ooohhhhh....all these talented ladies! I am totally jealous of Lissa and her pottery skills. I've always wanted to learn pottery...maybe when things slow down! I teach full time, go to school full time, I'll graduate in June with my masters in ESL Education and by Christmas I'll have 15 hours under my belt towards my doctorate degree in education, SO I don't have a whole lot of time lately for my crafts. I do knit almost every evening (and read) and I also do beadwork. I sell my creations, mostly earrings and bracelets, to friends at work and Native American Stores here in Oklahoma and Arkansas and Nevada. I also make all my own clothes (except jeans). I used to quilt (still have several wip), crochet (doilies mostly) and tat (an American Flag for my wall and earrings), draw and paint (but not lately). I used to teach smocking classes and sewing classes at a local fabric store but haven't had time to smock since last year (smocked a bubble suit for my great niece). JUST SO MANY PROJECTS AND SO LITTLE TIME!!!!! I love to bake but my husband and son will tell you the truth...they've been living on instant and fast food this last year ! I have many knitting wip and that seems to be my first love (along with beading)! I've even knit a beaded bag. I've got one in the process that I designed using the "End of the Trail" design. It's only about 1/10th of the way knit though. My husband just purchased all the equipment/cabinets to completely build in my sewing room with baby blue and cream colored cabinets with formica tops! YEAH...he's so sweet! I might have to cook a big meal for him . Well, I have strep throat (yuke) so I've been home sick and I'm trying really hard to work on a research paper, but couldn't resist popping over to this site for a few......Lissa, have you knit any cozies for your pottery?

Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2002 :  9:22:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
BWHAHAHAHAH! Vanessa, be careful throwing words like "skills" around! ]When I say that I'm a fledgling potter, I really mean it! I haven't made anything yet that would be suitable for a cozy, but I HAVE made some really neat little round...boxes(?) that I enjoy. Perhaps someday I'll be able to make one bigger than 4" x 4"!

Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2046 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2002 :  4:17:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message
How do.
As a treat to myself before I do some chores (work related paperwork, finish off the income tax paperwork w/checks, put books & china closet items away that have been boxed for 2 weeks as our living & dining rooms were painted & then, hopefully, exercise), I have been spending time here on the Forum. This is something that has been absent for too many days. I have had tiny chunks of time here but little time to scope out the topics.
This subject & your responses to it warmed my heart, impressed my brain, & inspired me to 1. get off my butt more & 2. want to share what moves me.
In no special order: quilting, gardening & houseplants, reading, my monthly book group (in existence since 10/90), my monthly quilt group (been in this for the last 4 or so years), my monthly knitting group (I'm new to this one), cooking when I have time. I try to stay in touch w/my friends, far & near, w/as much frequency as we can muster in this hectic world. As a self-employed person who works 7 days a week, I do long for more time!! Don't we all?!?!?
Thanks for the nudges to grow my creativity!
P.S. As a novice knitter, I feel that I have lucked into one of the best hobbies ever!!
Go to Top of Page

mamaaishy
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2002 :  5:12:30 PM  Show Profile Send mamaaishy a Private Message
I love to read & write. Playing with the kids is always fun ;)
I think thats about it. I like trying all different crafts and stuff.
Oooh I love cutting pictures & words to make collages.
I want to learn to crochet, now that I am knitting ;) I have sewed but it really isn't my thing.

Aisling

Go to Top of Page

mornin
New Pal

15 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2002 :  5:17:22 PM  Show Profile Send mornin a Private Message
quote:

When I'm watching television, my favorite thing is to pop in a tape (I have several) of one of my favorites which are: Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett,
Regards, Patience[/blue]

I had to reply... Jeremy Brett IS Sherlock Holmes! One of my favorites too. I have many of the tapes... Enjoy them every time I see them... with tea of course! LOL Dawn

Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2002 :  5:52:48 PM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
Dear Dawn,

Isn't that the truth...Jeremy Brett played Sherlock Holmes so well! I couldn't believe it when he suddenly died at such a young age ( I believe it was 57). I can watch them over and over to my families dismay, but we have 2 televisions so what's all the fuss. Oh, and you're right.....don't forget our pot of hot tea to go along with our feature presentation, right?

Regards, Patience
Go to Top of Page

MadameDeFarge
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2002 :  5:55:16 PM  Show Profile Send MadameDeFarge a Private Message
Other hobbies? Who has time? I started a needlepoint for DGS before he was born. He was just 4 ... and we are waiting for his sibling to arrive in September. Maybe I will take it out and finish it now. maybe ...

Since I took early retirement in 1997 ... I have been so busy I dont know how I had time to go to work.

I read ... mostly Science Fiction ... mostly Star Trek TNG, DS9 and Voyager. Also like biographies.

I was thinking about doing other crafts, but when I look at my Knit To Do List, i know there is no way. The list contains projects to do now ... I have the yarn in stash ... and ideas ... so I know what yarn to look for at the Stitches Market!

Thought I'd share this with you ... from another email list:

IF I SHOULD KNIT WHILE IíM ASLEEP
I PRAY THE LORD MY GAUGE DOTH KEEP
AND IF I DIE BEFORE I WAKE
I PRAY I MAY MY KNITTING TAKE!

Madame DeFarge

Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2002 :  6:01:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
ROFL - I LOVE that poem!!!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

ginny
Chatty Knitter

USA
279 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2002 :  6:10:46 PM  Show Profile Send ginny a Private Message

Vanessa,

I wondered if you knew how to smock when I saw your user-name. Smocking is something that is on my, "I want to learn to" list. My niece knows how to smock. She did a beautiful christening dress for her daughter and also did smocked outfits for her 2 boys. My daughter received a dress with kittens smocked into the top of it. I'll never give it away!

I already know all of the embroidery stitches and my niece tells me that makes it easier to learn. She has a Bernina sewing machine that does all of the gathering. We just need to find a time when our kids aren't taking up so much of our time so I can learn how to smock.

Good luck in working toward your Ed.D. I have a Master's Degree in Elementary Ed.

Happy Knitting!

ginny

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.64 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by