Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Poll Feedback
 Suggest a poll
 Other hobbies?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

pnitter
New Pal

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2002 :  6:14:13 PM  Show Profile Send pnitter a Private Message
Gadyooks! I used to be a pastry chef, and while you couldn't pay me enough to bake a cake for you, I am an unapologetic and enthusiastic cook of all Asian, African and Mediterrean cuisines. I cook for at least 8 hours per week (just for pleasure). And since I work for an importer of European products, I guess you could say I support these cuisines as well.

I dye and spin fleece, play the piano 4 hours per week (one of my majors in college) and read a good book or two per week (English was my other major.) It amazes me: music and English, so now I sell cheese!

Go to Top of Page

pat
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2002 :  6:22:12 PM  Show Profile Send pat a Private Message
Hi all-
I'm new to this forum & this is my first posting -but I have been an avid knitter for more than 30 years - besides knitting, I am learning to spin, my DH gave me a beautiful wheel for my birthday - WOW was I ever surprised! I also love to garden and do-it yourself home improvement projects - in fact my DH thinks a trip to Home Depot qualifies as a night out!

Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2002 :  6:30:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Hi, Pat, welcome!

Don't tell your DH that a night out isn't Home Depot - just tell him you're going to "spice things up" and head to a yarn store every once in a while!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

chrisknits
New Pal

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2002 :  6:32:37 PM  Show Profile Send chrisknits a Private Message
I do rubber stamping, cross-stitch, canvas work(like needlepoint), crewel, sewing, quilting, basketry, sing soprano in a choir and for weddings, baking(not to be confused with cooking which I semi detest), go carting with husband and daughters and my favorite hobby vacationing in Florida where I can indulge just about each of these activities!

Chris
Go to Top of Page

clariestar
Warming Up

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2002 :  9:02:16 PM  Show Profile Send clariestar a Private Message
Hello all.

My we are a busy group of ladies and gentlemen!

I knit, play Celtic harp, grow house plants, chase my two Westies, read anything and everything well written, work part time,go to college full time, work out at the gym (I'm trying to convine myself it's fun, not work ) I try to cross stitch sometimes, but the progress is not fast enough for me, I leave that to my sister.

It's not a huge list, but I still sometimes feel like I don't have enough time for what I want to do!

Clare

Knit the world together, one stitch at a time.
Go to Top of Page

GerriClemens
New Pal

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2002 :  9:09:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit GerriClemens's Homepage Send GerriClemens a Private Message
I can't remember not knowing how to knit, I think I was born knitting, but I also spin, weave and make bobbin lace. I crochet a little too, but me fingers tend to tire more easily with it rather than anything else., you can see some of my stuff at http://www.geocities.com/cricketglenn/ I have other pages but I'm trying to figure out if I wamt to combine them or delete them. I even founf one that I started 6 years ago.

CricketGlenn
Gerri Gregory
Go to Top of Page

Evi
New Pal

Australia
1 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2002 :  9:14:52 PM  Show Profile Send Evi a Private Message
Hmm....Hi...I'm not sure whether I'm at the right place here, it's my first attempt to write in these Forums and I wanted to add something to "Other Hobbies"....Well what are they!? Apart from knitting...when I have time I like to Cross stitch or decoupage, I also write songs and I love making fancy cakes as long as they are not a weekly project, one every month or so is plenty. I have loyts of interests but I would say these few belong to my favourites.

Evi
Go to Top of Page

sue ann
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2002 :  05:48:51 AM  Show Profile Send sue ann a Private Message
In the (good?) old days I painted and did some print making (etchings , mostly). Its been awhile. These days, I am adjusting to the life of the mommie, with my 16 month old son. Finally feel ready to take on something creative. Started knitting about a year ago. Now, when the wee one is off to bed, I can sit with the knitting and fell a bit closer to my former creative self. nice. So, at this time, knitting , reading, and chasing a toddler are my acivities of choice.

Go to Top of Page

Edith
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2002 :  08:11:30 AM  Show Profile Send Edith a Private Message
Many of you ladies sound like you have the same interests as I do. I might add an interest in miniatures -especially textiles, plus the fact that I've been trying to master tatting for the past 40 or so years!

Go to Top of Page

fairlady11
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2002 :  10:19:45 AM  Show Profile Send fairlady11 a Private Message
Knitting is what I enjoy along with making beaded earrings, plastic canvass and as soon as I loose a little more weight I will do some sewing again, along with working. Beaded earrings are fun to do but I have to have quiet, a tabletop and as few interuptions as possible, plastic canvass is fun but there again I stick to the simple, and sewing I stick strictly to the simple things in ladies, shorts, skorts, skirts and dresses. I do know how to crochet have done it for years but my preference is knitting, and so it seems like I just do not crochet anymore. It all seems to keep me pretty busy, but when it is something you like you manage to find time to do it
Have a good day
Gloria

Gloria June Garland
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2002 :  10:45:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Welcome to all of the new posters! How nice to know how much we all have in common. You'll enjoy the forum - were not just creative loonies, this forum is full of lovely, friendly people who love to talk knitting and to help others. No "snootiness" here!

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2002 :  1:45:56 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
In addition to knitting, I do needlepoint, sew, embroider (don't do counted cross--have a bad astigmatism), I love to garden but living in an apartment don't have a garden but I do grow pots of herbs as I love to cook and use lots of herbs in my cooking. I also read a lot but not as much as I did when I was working as I don't ride the bus that much any more. I do take a book with me when I go someplace I know I will have to wait and I would not think of going to the local post office without a book because you have to wait so long. I use to paint but haven't done that in a long time. I loved doing water colors but switched to oil. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2002 :  4:13:27 PM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
Hobbies....work, cleaning house, playing with the Greys... I don't imagine those count...

Cooking...that's part of housekeeping to me, though I do collect cookbooks and really love to cook, especially with Tony in the kitchen with me. Lately, cooking has become a real adventure. Our kitchen is maybe 12' x 17' with a huge island in the center that holds the sink and dishwasher...imagine that and two dogs that weigh at least 70 pounds each surfing the counters and floors for dropped or unguarded food. We've gotta get those baby gates!!

Sewing...when the machine was working, I made a gajillion renaissance faire costumes (those of us who wear them call them "garb", not costumes). I haven't sewn in more than a year, haven't done it on a regular basis since we left NC more than 4 years ago. There, I had a lovely unfinished basement where I could spread out and have plenty of room and not have to put it all up so we could eat dinner. I MISS that basement!

I used to garden, but gardening in Arizona is not the same as it was in NC. I do have a 'garden'...three large planters in the entrance way with parsley, sage, (the rosemary is planted along the front walk)thyme, feverfew (great for headaches), oregano, basil, and lemonbalm. Other than that, it's xeriscape plants and rocks. Did you know aloe vera will flower if you leave it in a too small pot long enough? We have the most beautiful yellow spikes coming out of the aloe that's been stuck in that plastic pot for more than a year.

I've dabbled in all sorts of hobbies through the years, but none that have grabbed me and held on the way knitting has. I don't know if it's the feeling of accomplishment as you see the fabric slowly (in my case, anyway) dropping off the needles, the portablilty of the craft, or the feel of the yarn and the rhythym of the motion. Whatever it is, I am addicted.

chris (even thinking about it brings a peaceful feeling!)

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

AtomicKnit
Chatty Knitter

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2002 :  5:07:14 PM  Show Profile Send AtomicKnit a Private Message
I have a couple of former hobbies: beading and polymer clay. I lost enthusiasm for them when I realized that one can make and give away only so many necklaces/earrings before one's friends reach their beaded-gift saturation level. The cool thing about knitting is the versatility in the choice of end product, and if I want to embellish my knitted things with, say, leftover beads and clay buttons--I can!
I also like to read, bake, paint in watercolors, and collect funky thrift-store art. All of this in my copious free time (ha!) outside my day job and taking care of the five year-old DD, Nipper. And now that Spring has sprung, I get to wrestle with the 27 rose bushes and 7 grape vines at my new house: I am the Pruning Queen!

Go to Top of Page

dancingleaffarm
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2002 :  5:36:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit dancingleaffarm's Homepage Send dancingleaffarm a Private Message
I only knit at night. During the day I paint furniture, weave, make jewelry or (my favorite passion) mountain bike. I do ususally have my knitting with me though, even on the bike. Knitting is my sedentary sport!

Go to Top of Page

marshad
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2002 :  07:49:36 AM  Show Profile Send marshad a Private Message
Have lurked in this area for awhile and am learning to knit. My other hobbies is to do machine embroidery with these lovely yarns I am knitting with. It's amazing what you can come up with.
As well as machine embroidery, I love to sew, garden, and read everything I can about learning to knit. Taken lessons too and am branching out to more difficult patterns. Have a local shop that has a sit 'n' knit on Saturday so you can bring in anything you are working on and knit and ask questions if you get stuck.

Marsha in stitches
Go to Top of Page

Knitgirl
Warming Up

79 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2002 :  07:59:54 AM  Show Profile Send Knitgirl a Private Message
Wow! I can't believe all the hobbies everyone has! I was really excieted to see how many of you love the paper arts as well.

Like many of you, I guess I have tried many needlework crafts. I was on a counted cross stitch craze at one time, also a little crochet, knitting of course but started rubber stamping several years ago and got into all kinds of paper art stuff like book binding, atists books, box making, papermaking, a type of paper marbling, and origami. ( I even have a pattern to make paper shoes that I want to try someday!) I make many of my own cards and have even sold a few (without rubber stamp designs!) In fact I have one design of a woman's face where I add a hat and a neck piece that I knit with fuzzy yarn. It is great fun.

I enjoyed reading all the talent that is here....WOW!

Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2002 :  08:23:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I have to chuckle when I see someone mention how talented we all are. I feel like I should post a disclaimer: WARNING: Just because I participate in said hobby, does not mean I'm actually any good at it!

I knit a mean scarf, I'm certainly a proficient reader, and I suppose I sing better than the average person... but only just. TALENTED? That's an entirely different topic....

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

Allyn
Chatty Knitter

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2002 :  09:04:55 AM  Show Profile Send Allyn a Private Message
Might as well add my 2 cents to this topic. Along with knitting and reading (I love mysteries. Anne Perry is my favorite author!), scrapbooking, occasional sewing...I collect! I collect Coca Cola memorabilia, a variety of antiques (was a dealer for many, many years) and Department 56 lighted villages. The village collecting leads to all sorts of other crafts and hobbies since we like to display our little houses in a village set up. We do display work and miniature making, paint backgrounds, lots of fun stuff! I'm also president of the local collectors club and write their newsletter. Keeps me off the streets! ROFL

Allyn

Go to Top of Page

Rita2372
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2002 :  10:50:36 AM  Show Profile Send Rita2372 a Private Message
The other hobby I also enjoy is weaving. For this reason, I'm always looking for natural fiber yarns. I would like to find a nubby cotton or linen yarn for making towels.

Rita Deyo Fleener
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.77 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.