Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Poll Feedback
 Suggest a poll
 Other hobbies?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Chrys
Chatty Knitter

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2002 :  12:10:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Chrys a Yahoo! Message Send Chrys a Private Message
It is really amazing how many things all the people here do, it is really great that there are so many fun hobbies.
Lets see, for myself in addition to knitting I am a compulsive reader (novels, history stuff (my major), even shampoo bottles ). I have done candlewicking, have a wip of cross stitch (and a few waiting). I am looking to learn embroidery and crewel, and figure eventually I will learn to crochet since so many knitted things have crocheted edgings. Oh, and I also love to cook and bake things.
Unfotunately like many others with housework, work, and chasing my 2 girls around I just do not have enough time to do my hobbies very often (although there is always time to check this board ). I am sure once they get a little older there will be more (the oldest is 6, younger is 19 mos.
Christy

Go to Top of Page

Smock7
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
491 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2002 :  1:23:12 PM  Show Profile Send Smock7 a Private Message
Hi Edith! I tried to master tatting also and gave up frustrated so I tried needle tatting and WHAMMO! It was so easy! You should try it sometime! I'm making a tatted American flag for my front hall to go with my cross stitch Americana theme! I purchased the supplies at Hobby Lobby!

Go to Top of Page

Smock7
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
491 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2002 :  1:35:48 PM  Show Profile Send Smock7 a Private Message
Hey Ginny! When you get the time to learn smocking, you will find it addictive! I still have two pleating machines that I refuse to part with. I use many of the Cherry Williams patterns. I picked up a book at a local store called Smocking A to Z and I love it as a quick reference. They have another book out called Bullions A to Z that I really want and will probably purchase after I pay my taxes .....anyway, how do you gather on the Bernina sewing machine? I have a Bernina machine....do you just use a LONG straight stitch? I'll have to try it if you can tell me how. I've always used the pleating machines with quilting thread. Also, there is another type of smocking where you use stripes, have you seen this? You just mark horizontal lines on polished cotton striped fabric. I've made several dresses for my nieces with these patterns and they made up VERY QUICK and are more casual.

Go to Top of Page

justus6au
New Pal

Australia
5 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2002 :  11:10:06 PM  Show Profile Send justus6au a Private Message
My other hobby is sewing. I use to do cross stitch years ago but I find it takes too much concentration. I have managed to combine my sewing and knitting hobby together by making knitting needle storage rolls.

Go to Top of Page

KnittinMom
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2002 :  04:32:13 AM  Show Profile Send KnittinMom a Private Message
Besides taking my first baby steps in knitting (and learning to use knitting design computer programs) I crochet. (I've been crocheting for over 30 years, thinking all the while that my garments would look so much better if they were knitted. Now I am on the road to reaching my goal of knitting garments for family and friends. You know how it is, the final fun of making it is giving it away because with it you send your love. I do enjoy cooking, more sometimes, less sometimes, but I enjoy the compliment at the dinner table a lot <g>. I am about to get back to an old hobby--furniture refinishing and redecorating. I've got an unused badly stained antique chest of drawers. Soon I hope to have transformed it into a contemporary vanilla white chest with climbing vines and roses stenciled up one side. The refinishing will be fun; seeing my daughter's eyes twinkle when she sees the completed project will be fun; and seeing the close formerly strewn on the floor find their places inside the chest will be FUN. Yep, I think this activity will be a good thing :-)

Go to Top of Page

ginny
Chatty Knitter

USA
279 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2002 :  05:23:22 AM  Show Profile Send ginny a Private Message

Dear Knittinmom,

The chest sounds adorable but don't count on the clothes being put in the drawers. My DD, age 17, thinks the floor of her room IS the closet!

Happy Knitting!

ginny

Go to Top of Page

Bsktpeg@aol.com
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2002 :  8:00:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bsktpeg@aol.com's Homepage Send Bsktpeg@aol.com a Private Message
My other hobbies are the folk art of rug hooking with hook and burlap and hand cut wool stripes.The primitive type. I also love to bake. I am also a collector of handcrafted hardwood maple baskets.

~Peggy~
Independent FAMOUS BASKET CO. Consultant BA
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2002 :  11:51:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Ginny, you mean it's NOT?????

Go to Top of Page

Rebecca
Permanent Resident

USA
1119 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2002 :  3:27:25 PM  Show Profile Send Rebecca a Private Message
It sounds like if you knit, you like to work with your hands considering all of the handcrafts that are mentioned in these posts. I have tried crochet, crewel, embroidery, quilting and lots of machine sewing for clothing. Knitting is the thing that really has endured over the years since childhood as my main hobby, the thing that I get excited about. I like to sew clothing but only do that in the summer when I'm off from school.

Last summer I started doing natural dyes and look forward to exploring that area a little more this coming summer. I had also done some handweaving and bought some simple looms but really like to knit the most.

I garden at home, mostly perennials. I read a lot, in fiction: Barbara Kingsolver, Anne Tyler, Orson Scott Card; in nonfiction: books on environmental issues, rain forest, biology, genetics, and of course, knitting.

I like to visit natural areas and do a little birdwatching and some hiking. If there's water in the creeks or rivers I like to go kayaking.

That's about all I would consider as interests or current hobbies of mine.

Thanks for reading!
Rebecca

...found easily in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia...
Go to Top of Page

mmagic
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2002 :  5:50:44 PM  Show Profile Send mmagic a Private Message
I'm glad to hear others have so many hobbies to work at. Sometimes I think I have too many but they all enrich my life. There is something spiritual about being so engrossed in a project that you lose all track of time and place. I am recently semi-retired and love finally having some extra time to work at my projects. Actually not working full-time has taken ALOT of stress out of my life. I knit at every opportunity where I am in a meeting, waiting or watching TV. Otherwise I spin, weave, bead, stamp, collage, make dolls and one of these days I will learn to quilt. I also read alot (my husband works in a book store) but I do not clean house unless company is coming, and i am not the best gardener. I like the "natural"look.

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2002 :  7:45:06 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
It has suddenly dawned on me that since I have gotten my own personal computer I love to surf the net. I love history and know a lot but not enough about the history of my background, Scottish (my mother was born in Scotland) and Swedish extraction (my father was born on Telegraph Hill is San Francisco). I love to check out the history of both backgrounds. Not too long ago someone who is high up in some computer company said something so correct, "The PC is PEOPLE friendly. I do believe we have all figured that out for ourselves. Me--I managed to hit some key and wipe out my icons. I won't bore you with what happened next. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

SheepLass
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2002 :  8:52:59 PM  Show Profile Send SheepLass a Private Message
Along with knitting, I crochet, cross-stitch, play guitar, read obsessively, and then I have some "geekier" hobbies (which I mean as a compliment to myself, of course!), such as computer games, my online journal (http://sheeplass.livejournal.com/ -- if anyone is interested in trying it, feel free to ask me for an invite code so you can make yourself an account, just email me at sheeplass@yahoo), and I'd like to do more programming, but who can fit it in around all the other hobbies? :)

The latest craze in my life, oddly, is exercise. I have been sedentary and anti-exercise all my life until this last February, and since then I can't seem to get enough of it... it's great! I really like my exercise ball. :) It's like getting to do exercise and play with a toy like a five-year-old all at once :)

Go to Top of Page

Capucine45
Warming Up

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2002 :  7:59:49 PM  Show Profile Send Capucine45 a Private Message
Wow, you all amaze me! I have lots of hobbies but I'm not a particular standout at any of them, perhaps because I don't have enough time to practice?? When I'm not knitting I spend my time doing schoolwork, reading (for pleasure), schoolwork, taking jazz dance lessons, schoolwork (get the picture? ahh, the academic life), baking, a little crochet, and attempting to learn about photography. However, I will be spending September through June studying in Bristol, England, so I will be adding TRAVEL to my list (on holidays, of course . . .)!!! What makes it more exciting is that several yarn companies are based in Britain, so my habit will suddenly become a little cheaper - always exciting.

Heather

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2002 :  08:19:34 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
With three daughters, I could always count on two places being clean--their closets and their dresser drawers....they were both empty.

Fran

Go to Top of Page

Allyn
Chatty Knitter

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2002 :  10:09:04 AM  Show Profile Send Allyn a Private Message
Wait a minute, Fran! I had six daughters...the clothes were on the floor because the drawers and closets were full of dolls and doll clothes, stuffed toys, school papers, stashes of old Halloween candy, empty boxes...I could never figure it out.and now... How come it didn't get better when they moved out? Now the drawers and closets are full of half done projects, antique fabric, stashes of yarn, lost cat toys....I just don't hide that Halloween candy anymore! ROFL!!

Allyn

Go to Top of Page

gaelle
New Pal

Canada
16 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2002 :  10:30:12 AM  Show Profile Send gaelle a Private Message
My but we're all very busy. I love to do word puzzles - crosswords especially although I can't figure out the cryptics. I think I need a tutor. I have started sewing again (first grandchild born March 30!) But my main other passion is working with refugees. My church sponsors on a regular basis (I'm in Canada) and I find that some of the people we sponsor have access to e-mail so we can get acquainted before they arrive. It's very labour-intensive but extremely interesting and rewarding. Frustrating too in the current political climate. I've met some wonderful people rom all around the world and my life is infinitely enriched.

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2002 :  1:30:02 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Now Allyn,

candy wrappers and empty food containers go under the bed.

ROFL

Go to Top of Page

happyneedles
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2002 :  7:29:21 PM  Show Profile Send happyneedles a Private Message
Reading your posts makes me smile. Sounds like knitters are a fulfilled group! I've always thought the more interests you have keeps you happier, and healthier because you have things to look forward to. Like many of you, knitting is my #1 passion. I'm knitting 18 years and have probably knit close to 100 sweaters. I always have 1 or 2 projects going on, and 5 ideas besides. I've often said I'd be happy if I had 8 arms like an octopus! I've been working on a Kaffe Fasset needlepoint pillow for my daughter for the past 5 years. It's about a third (I hope) done. You can see it's not a priority of mine. But it will be beautiful when it's done, it's patchwork with a center rose and the colors are beautiful. Better hurry before DD grows up and moves out! Does DD stand for darling daughter, I've been trying to figure it out. I've always loved color, that's what got me started knitting, I loved looking at yarns. I have dabbled in painting and pastels, I took classes while on sabbatical from teaching. Speaking of color, I like playing with make-up as well. Nobody mentioned tennis, that's something else I like to do. Reading has always been a pleasure of mine. Two of my all-time favorites are I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb, and Angela's Ashes by Frank Mc Court. I have to give a plug to those two, they're great. Someone mentioned Anne Tyler, I think her best were Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant and The Accidental Tourist. And last but not least, there's shopping! I think that qualifies as a hobby, too! What a great release. Let me know what DD stands for and also RFOL. My daughter told me what LOL stood for!
Sue

Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2309 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2002 :  9:25:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
DD is dear daughter, or darling daughter, and ROFL is rolling on the floor laughing. Some people also use ROFLOL, which is rolling on the floor laughing out loud! For the serious giggler! I used to do a lot of cross stitch and sewing. I still sew some and WANT to do cross-stitch. I have a couple of projects waiting to be done someday. I homeschool my last 2 kids, so that keeps me pretty busy. I used to do folk art painting and I do SMOCK, by the way. I haven't done much smocking lately since my dd is 11, and is growing a little tall for most of the styles; she's 5'3" and growing. Last smocking I did was a cute little flannel nightgown for our granddaughter when she was born 3 years ago. I still have my pleater and my dowel that says "This is mom's stick" in permanent ink on its side! I love to read, too, but have trouble getting to it lately. I usually can get some reading done when dh is out of town! Barb P.S. There is a forum that tells you more of these "acronyms," I think they are called...under how to use the forums.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.62 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?