Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Never Again!
 Fiesta La Boheme
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

denmark
Gabber Extraordinaire

377 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2005 :  5:17:37 PM  Show Profile Send denmark a Private Message
I saw a scarf made with a single skein of this yarn...pretty! And since I was looking for an easy project that had an elegant look, I plunked down the $30.00. It is a two-ply yarn made of one ply rayon, one ply mohair. What a pain to knit with, as the rayon stretched, and the mohair remained taut. I actually had to maintain tension threading the different plies through different fingers. Not impossible, but certainly not the relaxing, mindless project I had hoped for! Still, it IS pretty and I know I'll enjoy wearing it!

Beth

knitterlady
Chatty Knitter

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2005 :  05:02:25 AM  Show Profile Send knitterlady a Private Message
I had the same experience with La Boheme. It's gorgeous yarn, but nearly impossible to keep the two strands at the same place in the colorway. And if you ever have to frog or tink, good luck with that. There are other yarns on the market that give you the same effect without all the hassle.
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2005 :  4:57:46 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message
Yes, La Boheme can be a royal pain but it is so pretty when worked up. I told myself when I did a shawl/stole out of it that I wouldn't work with it again. However, I would. I was fortunate enough to get a great deal of Fiesta yarn at their outlet so didn't pay the full retail price, that might have made the experience more distressing!

However, I would use it again if I could get my hands on it at a decent price, glutton for punishment that I am!

M L
Others may ask, "What's in your wallet?" But I ask, "What's on your needles?"
Go to Top of Page

Dehbi
New Pal

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2005 :  8:09:13 PM  Show Profile Send Dehbi a Private Message
I've made several shawls with La Boheme. I think the key is to relax and not worry about the colorways of the two different yarns lining up perfectly. My shawls turned out beautifully. Since the dyers are colorists, I trust their color combinations and it really did not matter to me that things would shift in that way.

I think that you probably have to have two different colored yarns of the same fiber to avoid that shifting... or you can relax and just allow that shifting of the colors to be a design feature.
Go to Top of Page

denmark
Gabber Extraordinaire

377 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  03:30:39 AM  Show Profile Send denmark a Private Message
Actually, it wasn't the shifting colorways that gave me trouble; I never even tried (or thought about!) keeping that even. It was the stretching of the rayon ply versus the stable mohair ply that made this yarn difficult to work with...how do you prevent this?

Beth
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  06:16:31 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
Did you hand wind it or on a ball winder? We adjust the yarns by hand when winding and it seems to help- big pain in the a-- but ultimately woth it.
Go to Top of Page

Trina
Permanent Resident

USA
1871 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  07:22:06 AM  Show Profile Send Trina a Private Message
I made a shawl with La Boheme & had no problems with it. I was told when I bought it, not to use my swift, but to wind it by hand into a ball. I did & it worked fine. I would use it again- the colors are absolutely gorgeous.

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly.
-Langston Hughes
Go to Top of Page

denmark
Gabber Extraordinaire

377 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  07:42:27 AM  Show Profile Send denmark a Private Message
Interesting! Never thought about the hand vs. swift/winder variation. My LYS owner offered to wind it for me in the store (w/the swift/winder), because it could be troublesome, so that's the way I went. Now I know!
Thanks!
Beth
Go to Top of Page

CPAknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  06:24:03 AM  Show Profile Send CPAknit a Private Message
I made the Waterfall scarf in Knitters with LaBoheme and a silk yarn. I had wound it on my swift (I had a little problem with the first skein until I figured out what was going on with the yarn)- but didn't really worry about the colors matching throughout. I just kept the yarn loose as I knit it, so as not to pull the LaBoheme tight. The colors and texture turned out great.

Cindy
Go to Top of Page

Lorli
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  10:53:45 AM  Show Profile Send Lorli a Private Message
I had the same experience when I used La Boheme to make the short kimono jacket in a Vogue Knitting last year. I got so tired of having long loops of one of the stands - and of running out of one strand when there was quite a bit left of the other. The stripes of Kokopelli were a relief, and I was so glad to finish it. Pretty, but never again.
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  11:54:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
The best advice for successfully (read: not wanting to kill yourself) working with this yarn is to separate the plies and wind TWO balls - one of each fiber - and knit them stranded. That way, everybody gets to stretch however they wish without leaving big loops in the other yarn.

Lissa

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2603 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  2:07:16 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message
Interesting discussion and advice. I just started a scarf with this stuff, and here's what the inside of the yarn band says - always use a swift when winding - keep the yarn taut. Do NOT try to separate the two strands - it will cause tangling and hours (in bold) of frustration. So I gamely went ahead and began the scarf. Ball 1 worked fine. I just tried to attach Ball 2, and everything everyone has said is happening to me. The strands are "off" so the colors don't match up - the rayon boucle is loopy everywhere. If I continue, it will be ridiculous - half the scarf will look one way, half the scarf another. So I will frog back to where I attached the second ball, and try to rewind it - slowly and with a better match. NEVER AGAIN!!!!

(By the way, someone posted that there are other yarns which yield the same effect but are much easier to use. PLEASE TELL US - WHAT OTHER YARNS???)

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2603 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  2:08:33 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message
PS - Mohair up my nose, mohair in my contacts, mohair in my mouth. Blach!

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

TaraGel
Chatty Knitter

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  5:20:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit TaraGel's Homepage Send TaraGel a Private Message
I have to admit, I expected but had no problems with La Boheme. Could be because I used a loose stitch pattern--the wave stitch. It really looked lovely when finished and perhaps the yarn behaved because of the drop stitches?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe