Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 help! my needles taste bad
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nataleeza
Warming Up

New Zealand
86 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  10:08:49 PM  Show Profile Send nataleeza a Private Message
A friend of mine bought me a pair of gorgeous pearly knitting needles. Today I accidently stuck one in my mouth, and boy does it taste bad!

I remember reading that casein needles don't taste nice. Any one know what they taste like? These taste chemically, kind of like chlorine. Do any other needles taste bad?

I'm a little intrigued because I thought Swallow were the only brand that made casein, and these were Patons I think.

Any thoughts?

EDIT - now that I smell them, they smell a bit chemically too

--
Check out what I'm up to at my blog - HookStars

Ivynforestsmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

465 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  07:37:26 AM  Show Profile Send Ivynforestsmom a Private Message
Hmm. I have long hair and stick all my needles in my top-knot or behind my ear like a pencil.

How cool would it be if companies started selling needles in different flavors? What a marketing idea!

Yvonne
"Wrinkles should merely indicate where the smiles have been."-Mark Twain
http://ybrach.photosite.com/
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  07:42:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
I would say don't stick them in your mouth......

they aren't pacifiers they are needles.....

vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with chickens!
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  10:29:50 AM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by truly violet

I would say don't stick them in your mouth......

they aren't pacifiers they are needles.....

vi

Nataleeza...pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain.....(she lives with chickens)...

Trish
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  10:52:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
yup 7 chickens and 4 cats......
and soon a goat kid and a lamb
soooooooo?
what's your point?

huh?

vi

Go to Top of Page

autumns daughter
Chatty Knitter

267 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  11:06:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit autumns daughter's Homepage Send autumns daughter a Private Message
ha ha, vi, I can just see you standing there, hands firmly on hips, glaring, with the cats mewing and chickens clucking...
(but I agree. no need to taste needles.)

autumn's daughter
bloggy blog:
http://autumnsdaughter.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kdavies
Warming Up

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  11:50:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit kdavies's Homepage  Send kdavies a Yahoo! Message Send kdavies a Private Message
Hey...I hear honey is great on everything...might make knitting a little, um, difficult, though.

Try a little soap and water bath on them? Maybe the taste is from the molding process...

Kathy
Knitting Noodles

The Lord says: "Get ready to be Amazed, for I will do great things; you would not believe them if you were told." Habakkuk 1:5
Go to Top of Page

nataleeza
Warming Up

New Zealand
86 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  12:04:56 PM  Show Profile Send nataleeza a Private Message
Does anyone how I could find out if they are casein?

That sort of plastic intrigues me

--
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3469 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  12:14:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message
Even if I don't put needles in my mouth (though my husband threatened to put them in my ears while I sleep...), I can understand how the chemical smell/taste would be annoying. When I knit with plastic needles, my hands sometimes smell funny afterwards and I wash them right away. That's one of the reasons that I prefer bamboo.

--Minh
Go to Top of Page

The Irish Ewe
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  07:51:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit The Irish Ewe's Homepage Send The Irish Ewe a Private Message
A warning - my ex stabbed the roof of his mouth with a small toy simular to a knitting needle. Stick the needles in your yarn, not your mouth!

(can you tell I have 4 kids??)

The Irish Ewe
Norway, Maine
http://www.TheIrishEwe.com
Go to Top of Page

Tam
Permanent Resident

Australia
2810 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  2:57:24 PM  Show Profile Send Tam a Private Message
The only cassein needles I have seen are a white/milky colour, I don't know if they come in other colours.
I just smelled and tasted mine and they don't smell or taste of anything!!

Happy Knitting,
Tam in Melbourne

http://photos.yahoo.com/lillysmum2002

2005 Stats: 2 WIPs, 26 FOs
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  6:34:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message
They sound like standard plastic to me - Casein needles are plasticised milk protein so the taste would be more organic I believe, not chlorine. I haven't tasted mine to confirm that though!

If they are a small size and casein they will be extremely flexible so that is one way of finding out.

Wen

2005 stats: 7 FO, 9 WIP, 1 frogpond.
http://photos.yahoo.com/whdayus
Go to Top of Page

ScubaQueen
Seriously Hooked

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  08:19:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit ScubaQueen's Homepage Send ScubaQueen a Private Message
I never put my needles in my mouth....they have been in many unsanitary places....under airplane seats...between the couch cushions...dropped in the dog food bowl... etc. I do tuck them behind my ear...but NEVER put them in my mouth.

Wendy

Somewhere in Texas there's a village missing its idiot!
... My Knitting Blog.... My Other Nonsense
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  08:44:31 AM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
My needles have NEVER been under the seats of an airplane, never stuck in my hair and NEVER in a bowl of dog food!

...and it doesn't bother me at all to put them in my mouth, especially when sock knitting.

Trish
Go to Top of Page

spindyerella
Seriously Hooked

601 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  11:44:48 AM  Show Profile Send spindyerella a Private Message
I have swallow casein needles in a variety of pastel colors and some tortoise shell color, too. They do have a chemical type smell if they get wet. I don't put them in my mouth ever, but if I have just put on hand cream and touch the needle, or just washed my hands and not dried them completely, then I smell the chemical smell when I touch those needles. I think it's perfectly normal for casein to smell, so I just don't get these needles wet at all.
Go to Top of Page

nataleeza
Warming Up

New Zealand
86 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  11:58:50 AM  Show Profile Send nataleeza a Private Message
Cool, thanks guys, I guess I'll have to do a little more research :)

They are vey bendy, and do smell more when wet so they might be casein.

--
Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  10:35:22 AM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
I used to tell my sons (when they were small) "Your mouth is not a tool or a third hand! Don't use it that way!". Unfortunately, it was a case of do as I say, not as I do.

I'm always holding a needle in my mouth when I need both hands free...usually when sock knitting as Trish said. And the ONE time I did it with cassien needles was the first and last time I used them. Bryspuns...yuck, ptui, blah![crazy] And that's not just my opinion on the taste... I'd put them behind my ears, but that's like putting something into my cleavage...it just falls right out. My very thin, fine, short hair will not help my floppy ears hold anything.

My theory on putting things in your mouth is like the theory on why it's healthy to let kids pick their noses: you introduce yourself to germs a little at a time, you build up resistance!

chris (who lets her dogs drink out of her glass...no, really!)

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

lizknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1179 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  01:26:35 AM  Show Profile Send lizknit a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by chris
chris (who lets her dogs drink out of her glass...no, really!)

A woman after my own heart! Not only my dog but my cats do too.

The cat, the only self-cleaning appliance in the house
Go to Top of Page

Woodlander
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  11:46:19 AM  Show Profile Send Woodlander a Private Message
Hmmm...

I used to sell vintage knitting supplies via eBay and one of the ways to identify old, bakelite knitting needles was by taste. It had a strong, formaldehyde kind of taste, almost numbing to the tonge.
I don't know if bakelite is still used to make needles, although I understand it is used once again in costume jewelry, etc. I have also noticed that some writing pens, which sort of end up in the mouth no matter where they've been. also have that same taste.

Jana
Go to Top of Page

nataleeza
Warming Up

New Zealand
86 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  12:47:51 PM  Show Profile Send nataleeza a Private Message
Tricky huh? Especially since I haven't been able to find any casein needles labelled as such locally.

I asked my Dad [my Dad actually does know everything ;) ] and he said could be casein, but they weren't bakelite, although they would taste funny like that too.

And they are Australian made, so it's a definate possibility that they are casein.

It's an interesting question, but I love them despite their funny taste, so I've actually completed my set of them since I posted last time. So pretty and pearly and colourful!

--
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.