Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Things we do Besides Knitting
 Recipe Swap
 Vanillie Kipferl (Viennese Crescents)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  9:09:57 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message
On request, I'd like to share my mother's recipe (with her permission) for Vanillie Kipferl (Viennese Crescents).

1 cup shortening
4 Tablespoons powdered sugar
1 Tablespoon cold water
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups sifted flour
1 cup chopped pecans

Cream shortening and sugar. Add water, vanilla, flour, nuts. Roll into Kipferl (crescents). Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 325 degrees for 15 minutes. Roll in powdered sugar.

Season's Greetings!

WendyB
Knit to your heart's delight.

Sher
Permanent Resident

1292 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  06:23:55 AM  Show Profile  Send Sher a Yahoo! Message Send Sher a Private Message
Thank you WendyB!! They sound much like my "Russian Tea Cake Cookies but mine are rolled into balls. They are unbeliveably delicious!
Go to Top of Page

Eleanor
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
583 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  08:23:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Eleanor a Yahoo! Message Send Eleanor a Private Message
Hi Wendy: I see you posted the recipe for the Viennese Crescents. They "sound" delicious, but not the ones I was thinking of that my Mom used to make. They were made with cream cheese, butter, flour (I guess), and that's all I can remember. She used to roll up little balls (before or after refrigering the dough) and than roll out the little balls, spread on some filling, roll them up and shape into the crecsent shapes. I guess that unbelievably delicious recipe is "gone" forever.
Thanks again for your Mom's recipe.
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  09:26:58 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
A very Central/European biscuit indeed! The ones we make are similar but we use butter, vanilla sugar, and ground hazelnuts.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

griffsmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

457 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  11:13:11 AM  Show Profile Send griffsmom a Private Message
My grandmother made these every Christmas when I was a little girl, and of course, I had the honor of helping her. I've never been much for nuts in my food, but I love these cookies. Our family's heritage is German (among other things) and we called these cookies "Kieflies" (pronounced "Kee-flees").

My grandmother passed on in 1997, but I continue to make these cookies every Christmas in her memory and am teaching my 5 y/o DS to make them. I love reading her writing on the recipe card each year. It makes me feel close to her again and brings up those wonderful childhood memories.

*~*Lori*~*

My finished projects: http://community.webshots.com/album/308469463umpbHG

"Measure wealth, not by the things you have, but by the things you have for which you would not take money." ~ Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Knit kitty
Permanent Resident

USA
1383 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  11:57:54 AM  Show Profile Send Knit kitty a Private Message
How interesting! We call these Sand Tarts. I have an Austrian recipe called Vanillekipfeln (in actual German) that calls for butter, sugar, flour, and ground almonds. The cookies are dusted with powdered sugar after cooling. Isn't it neat how such similarly named cookies have such a wide variety of ingredients?

~Rebecca

"Nothing, why?"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.