Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Errata in Knitting Patterns
 Wire Menorah Votive comment
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AnnDS
New Pal

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  7:48:32 PM  Show Profile Send AnnDS a Private Message
Is anyone working on the wire menorah/votive sleeves? It's a very easy pattern, but I think the wire yardage and bead numbers are inadequate. I've tried twice to make a sleeve with just 5 yards, and even stretching it as I go, I come up very short -- about half to two-thirds of the way around a plain glass votive holder.

My advice to anyone making this pattern is to leave the wire on the spool, load about 50 or so more beads than suggested (you can always drop them later), and knit right from the spool. Don't cut the wire until you know the sleeve is the right length (about 7.25 inches for a standard, plain votive holder).

Good luck! This really is a very pretty item when finished!

booglass
Permanent Resident

Costa Rica
1987 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  12:42:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit booglass's Homepage Send booglass a Private Message
I am not working on this but would love to! Where is the pattern? Tell me more......

bonnie

Check out my blog:
http://www.booglass.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

JeanneL
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
394 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  1:15:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit JeanneL's Homepage Send JeanneL a Private Message
I saw these on a blog -
http://www.grumperina.com/knitblog/archives/2005/12/fully_sleeved.htm

She gives details on pattern, etc. I'd love to make these!

Jeanne
Go to Top of Page

AnnDS
New Pal

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2005 :  08:48:03 AM  Show Profile Send AnnDS a Private Message
The pattern is in Handknit Holidays by Melanie Falick. The pattern is by Annie Modesitt. I accidentally made this a new topic post, but it really belongs under posts for that book.

I've made a few more of these since posting, and here's what I do: I use a spool of 24-gauge copper wire (I've been into burgundy) and I do NOT measure or cut it. I just leave it on the spool.

I load about 220 beads on my wire and just knit from the spool. I haven't had too few beads yet (usually I have too many). I just leave the beads on the spool for the next sleeve.

About 6 inches goes around a standard glass votive holder (straight), so I knit in stockinette for about 30 rows (just use the votive holder as a guide, as your knitting may be different).

As Annie Modesitt suggests, make sure you 'block' along the way, pulling and shaping your sleeve as you go. It looks good stretched out a bit.

I also tried skipping rows (using beads only on the knit rows), but I really like it better as is, with beads on every row. Don't worry if the beads escape their place -- it looks better that way.

Good luck -- this is a fun and quick project.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe