Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Needles and Security
 Dangerous Goods in Hand Baggage
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mwedzi
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  04:03:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit mwedzi's Homepage Send mwedzi a Private Message
I put this at the end of another topic but perhaps some missed it so I thought it warranted its own post. Technically, at least on Virgin Atlantic (which, btw, I LOVE), you are not allowed to carry knitting needles.

Quoting from the pamphlet they handed me,

"Dangerous goods in hand baggage

You are prohibited from carrying the following in your hand baggage:
Toy or replica guns, catapults, household cutlery, knives with blades of any length, paper knives, razor blades, hypodermic syringes, tradesmen's tools, darts, scissors, KNITTING NEEDLES, sporting bats, billiard, snooker, pool cues"

Then there's something about being allowed syringes if you have proof that you need to inject yourself. I don't know if you guys heard but someone tried some mess on a plane with a syringe in South Africa while I was there.

Anyhow, I asked the attendent at Virgin Atlantic when I was checking in specifically if I could carry the needles, because it was the very day of the foiled attack, a couple Thursdays ago. I was flying from Jo'burg to Heathrow. She said no problem. Then they handed me this pamphlet which I later read that said it was definitely a problem (after questioning me because, with no glasses and hair braided, I look very different from my passport photo).

Anyhow, just passing this on.

--nikki

Corddrymum
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
519 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  06:46:48 AM  Show Profile Send Corddrymum a Private Message
Hi Niki,
Since I just booked a flight to NY from Boston I just checked the site and knitting needles are on the allowed list from the TSA.
Here's the link for anyone who is interested:
http://www.tsa.gov/
Don't go by the media which is frequently wrong. I'm glad I'm flying Jet Blue not Virgin Atlantic!
Robin
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  07:21:22 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Different rules for different countries so TSA is not the universal answer.

I've only had a problem with knitting needles once, and that was with a flight attendant not security. Still I'm always surprised that circs are never a problem for me - now that's a weapon.

http://www.femiknits.blog-city.com/knitting_for_canadian_troops.htm
http://greenfishoutofwater.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  08:01:12 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
So true! The original email was about flying from South Africa to the UK so TSA doesn't apply.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  4:07:21 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Did you know that a corkscrew is on the TSA list of PERMITTED items you can bring in your carry on? Gives one pause for thought, don't you think. Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

Pinnsvinn
New Pal

20 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  03:05:06 AM  Show Profile Send Pinnsvinn a Private Message
Just one more little note. This really surprised me. But last summer I was flying from Copenhagen to Bergen Norway. The security in Copenhagen took all my needles and said none ar allowed on flights from Kastrup.

Interestingly enough, I had brought all those needles with me from Bergen the week before and the Norwegian security had no problem with it.

So it does vary from country to country--- if if there are tons of knitters there.
Go to Top of Page

dothead
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  06:31:10 AM  Show Profile Send dothead a Private Message
In July (right before the incident in London), I flew Northwest Airlines from NY to Portland, OR and I was not allowed to bring my knitting needles even though knitting needles are on the TSA approved list.

Vicki, the Chronic Lurker(who sometimes stops lurking and actually posts)
Go to Top of Page

bonitapita
Chatty Knitter

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  07:39:51 AM  Show Profile Send bonitapita a Private Message
Example of different countries having different rules:

I flew from NYC to Dublin with my needles in my carry on, no prob. But having looked ahead (while still in the US) online at the Dublin airport website I knew not to put them in my carry on on the way back. And I've heard that certain airlines will just deny them across the board.

I took the advice of someone on KR a few years ago, and I will go the day of or the day before and print out the TSA allowances and put it in my bag. The final word always comes from the airline or the last TSA agent you pass, but at least it gives you something to show them if they were to catagorically deny your needles. I've never had to pull it out, knock on wood!!!

**Mokey, I too am surprised about circs but I'm not going to be the one to bring it to their attention!!!

Tanya

There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.67 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe