Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Crochet Talk
 Random crochet-related chitchat
 Where have all the crocheters gone?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

zknit08
Chatty Knitter

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  12:41:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit zknit08's Homepage Send zknit08 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where have all my fellow crocheters gone? It's year 2010 and I feel like singing this song and wake my crocheting friends to this topic.

It's year 2010! Have you made any new year's resolution regarding crochet or yarn? My new year's resolution involving crochet is to crochet more and start planning and making Christmas gifts now.

Happy new year to all!

psorum
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  02:38:19 AM  Show Profile Send psorum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello,I am new to the whole site and just found this forum for crochet.Glad to see it because I knit and crochet.In fact I have more experience with crocheting than knitting.I love to crochet one piece afghans in the winter because they keep you warm while creating them.
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  05:23:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where have I gone? I check in here most every day but spend more time over on Ravelry, partly because the pages there load so much faster. I'm on a high speed connection but for some reason these pages sometimes load very slowly.

I prefer calling them goals instead of resolutions, more chance of getting them done. but my primary yarn related one this year is to practice differet types of joins for motifs and overcome my dislike of making things in pieces and joining them to achieve a finished project. This is primarily for crochet but does apply to knitting as well.

Also, I'm planning to do some items each month for my craft fair sales tub so I won't end up crocheting stuff under pressure in the days leading up to a show.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass ...
.....it's learning how to dance in the rain!
Come visit me at http://yarnbasket.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

zknit08
Chatty Knitter

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  3:21:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit zknit08's Homepage Send zknit08 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
psorum,
welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy your stay and looking forward to seeing some of your projects. I'm doing more crochet work but I already learned basic knitting, thanks to the help and encouragement of friendly knitters in this forum. I just need to get back to knitting and convince myself that I can do both crochet and knitting if I organize my time and workspace efficiently.

knitz2,
I agree with you on working with motifs. Finishing too many loosed ends overwhelms me. I seem to do better if I join motif as I go and finish each and every motif (hide yarn ends) before I make another. Leaving the finishing or hiding loose ends as the last step does not work for me.

May we all achieve our goals for this year 2010

Happy Crocheting!
Go to Top of Page

fiddlerbird555
Permanent Resident

USA
1429 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2010 :  5:33:51 PM  Show Profile Send fiddlerbird555 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I just got back into crochet this past year. It seems the ideal way to make mittens -- THICK fabric, and it works up fast, though I still prefer the knitted cuffs. I'm debating making one more set of crocheted mittens this season, but I may want to start my double-knit project first.

I can go loopy, or I can knit. Your choice.
Go to Top of Page

Bethany
Permanent Resident

USA
1546 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2010 :  10:14:06 PM  Show Profile Send Bethany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually crocheted something over the holiday for a change... I made thread snowflakes. It was fun. I've never done thread crochet before, although I've knitted with thread. The snowflakes -- at least the patterns I used -- really were as fast and easy as everyone told me they would be. They look much harder than they are. Good times!
Go to Top of Page

fiddlerbird555
Permanent Resident

USA
1429 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  1:57:40 PM  Show Profile Send fiddlerbird555 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got a book of snowflake patterns for "pre-Christmas". I haven't really had the nerve to use thread, but I had some heavy lace/light sport weight glittery white yarn to play with.

I can go loopy, or I can knit. Your choice.
Go to Top of Page

stitchmd
Seriously Hooked

716 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  3:07:58 PM  Show Profile Send stitchmd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do both but tend to knit more because it distributes the stress between both hands and involves more changes in motion, so less fatigue and stress. Crochet uses a more steady grip and I tend to tire much more quickly. I prefer crochet for things that are small and need to be firm, like bags, rugs or some hat shapes.

You can't have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
Go to Top of Page

mrssuem
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
457 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  5:58:51 PM  Show Profile Send mrssuem a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bethany I saw the words crochet snowflakes and then saw you did them in thread. I am not a very experienced crocheter, but I decided to make some simple snowflakes for my daughter's 12/19 wedding as favors for each guest. Searched for a SIMPLE pattern and found one, but try as I did, could not manage the thread, so all of them were made in the white cotton yarn and they stiffened up very nicely with "Stiffy". Messy to work with, but does the job. Ended up making about 70 of them because I had to experiment with 2 different yarns and then the stiffening. I am planning on becoming more proficient in crocheting, and increasing my knowledge of stitches beyond, sl st, sc, and dc, and maybe by the next Christmas season the snowflakes I make will be in the thread. Oh yes everyone was happy with the one they got. Sue
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  10:27:01 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My arthritis stopped my crocheting because I could only crochet about 2 minutes at a time before the pain became too much to handle. Then, earlier this year, while crocheting to finish a knitting project, I noticed that I didn't have the pain in my wrist, then I noticed that I had picked up the hook and held it like a knitting needle instead of a pencil. It worked just as well and I am kicking myself for not discovering it 20 years ago. Now I am thinking about my first real crochet project in about 30 years.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

zknit08
Chatty Knitter

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  12:14:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit zknit08's Homepage Send zknit08 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I discovered a crochet stitch combination that is most relaxing for me. This is a series of ch1-sk1-sc (Chain 1, skip 1 stitch, single crochet next stitch) or ch1-sk1-esc. I made several scarves and shawls with this stitch combination. The trick for making scarves and shawls drapeable is to catch only one loop either back or front loop when inserting the hook. It almost has the flexibility and the feel of a knitted item. I posted the process on my blog. Please check it out and let me know what you think. I have used crochet hook sizes 3.75mm to 6.00mm on med. wt(4) acrylic yarn, The more relaxed the stitches, the softer the finish fabric feels and the bigger the hook, the softer the fabric feels also. You do have to crochet loosely in order to achieve the desired feel of the fabric. I would like to try this stitch combo on alpaca yarn. That would be a step up for me.

Happy Crocheting,

Zknit

http://time2crochet-n-craft.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ClaireG
Seriously Hooked

602 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  2:50:29 PM  Show Profile Send ClaireG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My Crochet guild is having learn a stitch a month and making squares for my own afghan and for a charity afghan and I am looking forward to doing this. My goal this year is learning new Crochet stitches and actually finishing projects with the help of Fran's method the Ten minute rule.
Claire
Go to Top of Page

Chayah
Permanent Resident

1926 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2010 :  06:50:00 AM  Show Profile Send Chayah a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am so happy to hear from other crocheters here. Currently I am making a small rug in strips and an afghan for my son which has been languishing for a long time. I also love crocheting hats. I look forward to chatting here with all of you.

"Each breath really is a new beginning of the rest of our lives." Jon Kabat-Zinn
Go to Top of Page

zknit08
Chatty Knitter

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2010 :  5:13:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit zknit08's Homepage Send zknit08 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm spending some time mastering the technique of knitting so later I can combine crochet and knitting in making an item. I've seen some garment made this way by a particular designer. I'm not abandoning crochet at all. Besides When I get tired of crochet and needed a change of routine, I can pick up my knitting, and vice versa.

Happy Crocheting and Knitting,

Zknit
Go to Top of Page

LoneKnitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  10:21:00 AM  Show Profile Send LoneKnitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I spend most of my time on Ravelry. I like to see completed projects in both knitting and crochet. I also can keep track of my stash and where I am in a project that I have not worked on in a while. I also help crocheters out there in the forums. I am LoneCrocheter on Ravelry.
Go to Top of Page

zknit08
Chatty Knitter

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  11:05:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit zknit08's Homepage Send zknit08 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I'm not crocheting, I'm reading other crochet blogs and or knitting, sometimes I sew and would like to do more sewing. I'm transferring my sewing machine in the attic where it is warm and I can't get motivated doing anything in the basement when it is too cold despite the wood burning stove we have down there. Hopefully I can do more sewing, knitting, crocheting in the same attic room. I sometimes post in my blog also but neglected it due to some other things that takes more priority.

Happy Crocheting and Knitting!

Zknit

http://crochetcheers.blogspot.com

http://time2crochet-n-craft.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

zknit08
Chatty Knitter

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  3:50:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit zknit08's Homepage Send zknit08 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now, I'm spending way too much time on facebook and it is time for gardening also. I have one big afghan project going and I know that it will take me forever to finish this.

Just the same happy crocheting!

zknit
Go to Top of Page

v-allknit
Seriously Hooked

India
741 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  10:50:56 PM  Show Profile Send v-allknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i have started crochet this year and am loving it :) i find it as addicting to knitting

shruti

My blog

ravelry

Go to Top of Page

zknit08
Chatty Knitter

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2010 :  05:16:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit zknit08's Homepage Send zknit08 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm struggling to revive my interest in knitting and or crocheting, this is what happens when my routine is interrupted with so many unexpected event that I cannot control, I lost my creative focus and energy. I'm glad that all of you are crocheting and knitting as usual.

Happy crocheting and knitting,

zknit
Go to Top of Page

Chayah
Permanent Resident

1926 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2010 :  07:15:02 AM  Show Profile Send Chayah a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I have been reading more and crocheting less lately, just returned to my afghan and hope to do some coral reef pieces and scrumbling too soon. Happy to see more crocheters writing in, xoxo,,Chayah

"Each breath really is a new beginning of the rest of our lives." Jon Kabat-Zinn
Go to Top of Page

zknit08
Chatty Knitter

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2010 :  3:27:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit zknit08's Homepage Send zknit08 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I need to work with more color combination, maybe this will revive my interest.
Do a free form crochet perhaps?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.66 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.