Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Machine Talk
 Bulky or Chunky Machines
 Help its been a long time
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ginni
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2010 :  3:59:35 PM  Show Profile Send Ginni a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello knitters,

I am looking for some help. I have a Bulky Eight S-120/S-140 machine.

I purchased this machine in approx. 1988. I had a great time knitting for my sons and relatives. Them life became busy with teenage sons and a new career. The knitting machine was sent to the attic.

Now that I'm retired,I want get started again.
I'm having trouble moving the carriage completely to the right, it seems to get stuck at the extension plate.

Please remind me how to cast on. When I tried, the machine was able to knit almost to the end of the row. Then the yarn becomes very tight and the carriage won't move on.

I'm sure it is just a couple of simple things that I have forgotten.

It would be great if I could find someone in North West Indiana or the south suburbs of Chicago for a couple of hands on lessons.

Thanks so much
GT

always willing to help

Clara
queen bee

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2010 :  4:13:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Ginni! Welcome! I'm sorry I can't answer this, but I'm moving it to the Knitting Machine section to help it get under the eyes of our members who know more about knitting machines.

Best of luck!

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

karinsocke
New Pal

Germany
5 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2010 :  11:29:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit karinsocke's Homepage Send karinsocke a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Ginni,

I don't know the type of your machine. I am working with brother machines. And there is a desaster like yours almost a flat sponge retainig bar. When the sponge is flat, the needles are not enough pressed to the needle bed....

Bye
Karin
Go to Top of Page

amoonsinger
New Pal

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  10:24:35 AM  Show Profile Send amoonsinger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You probably need to change the sponge bar first. They need to be changed every couple of years as they break down over time. Since they hold the needles in place to allow free passage of the carriage that could be the beginning of the problem. There were a few machines built with permanent bars, I have one, but most weren't.

Try this site for one sponge tutorial.
http://knittsings.com/knitting-machine-sponge-bar/

As for casting on there are various methods to do so. Do a search of youtube for some videos that show the e-wrap, crochet, and simple cast on's for machines. There are many videos that can help get you going.

Then find your manual. Each machine has different ways of doing things. So you will want to start with that manual and work your way through it to learn just what your machine requires.

Mary
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?