Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Knitalongs
 February Cormo Woolalong
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ceddy
New Pal

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2010 :  12:29:48 PM  Show Profile Send ceddy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clara: An organizational question - when will you be announcing each month's yarn selection?

Ceddy
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2010 :  2:25:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh indeed, Carrie - I shall definitely "Clarafy" each month's selection.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4390 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  04:27:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since the Woolalong has morphed into the Woolympics (or coincides with it, or something), I thought I'd check in to see how everyone's knitting is going.

I cast on a Mara shawl in Foxfire Cormo Alpaca Lace, and then I had the bright idea to knit a Porom hat for the Knitting/Woolympics with my Bijou Spun Cormo Yak. The shawl is going along nicely, and I finished the hat, which is beautiful, but I'm afraid it isn't a good look for me (Yay! I've started my Christmas knitting already!).

Both of these projects have confirmed what I already know: I love Cormo, and I love how it behaves in a blend. So, Woolalongers, what about your projects?

Jane

Betty needs a warm hat: Support KR
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3463 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  3:06:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have two lovely skeins of Foxfire Cormo silk alpaca in "bluebird" that are being knitted into a La Novia scarf by Anne Hanson. So far, so good.

I'm taking a class with Barb Parry in a couple of weeks so I want to finish it to show it to her.
Go to Top of Page

KnittingKittens
Chatty Knitter

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  6:31:27 PM  Show Profile Send KnittingKittens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finally, a decision! I am making the Thermis Cowl and seriously thinking of using the pattern stitch to make some matching Thermis Mitts. What say y'all? I started the cowl yesterday and have almost 17 rows of the ribbing done. I think I can do 3 more ribbed rows and then start the two set up rows--let us pray! KnittingKittens are tired tonight. (Sigh) Monday, Monday can't trust that day. . .wait, I forgot I cannot sing!
Go to Top of Page

One Stitch at a Time
Chatty Knitter

297 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  08:03:43 AM  Show Profile Send One Stitch at a Time a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My heart is racing and I'm in a knittingdecisionpanic. I need suggestions- fast! I decided to take Clara's
*cough* suggestion *cough* to knit her wonderful Sweet Fern Mitts for the Cormoalong this month. Well, the yarn arrived only yesterday and of course, I didn't take the time to look at the directions until the yarn arrived. I have 2 concerns:
1- they will be too large for my baby sized hands and 2- I don't know how to make the necessary modifications to the pattern which will make them smaller. This yarn is soooo special. Any suggestions for a cozy 1 skein (237 yds)project using Elsa's worsted

Maybe I should follow KnittingKittens lead and simply display it and enjoy looking at it (until I use it for the mitts).........

Thanks
Nanci
Go to Top of Page

Coolj
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  12:14:19 PM  Show Profile Send Coolj a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love cormo! My friend, Janine (a.k.a. Sniggle on Ravelry) ordered from Elsa, and we split two skeins of wool-spun. I believe she got more for herself, but half of two skeins was enough for the project I had in mind. I had intended to do a football hat (each half in a different color, then it's reversible), but the hat would have been too heavy. So, now I have half a skein to complete yet another hat! Woohoo!

In the past year I've done loads of lined, top-down hats, and I've begun each with a "toe chimney." Threading yarn through those loops then pulling it tight certainly puts its tencel strength to the test. Cormo could pull a truck out of a ditch! (Pardon me, I'm a farm girl!) It isn't the prettiest hat I ever did, but that's my fault, not the yarn's. I did a stockinette crown and ribbed the rest of it. Elsa is beautifully spun with enough definition to create gorgeous ribs and cables, yet provide a perfectly even stockinette fabric.

Janine and I are planning on trying some worsted-spun soon.

I almost for to tell you--I was determined to use every single bit of the yarn, and I finished with only 8 or 9 inches to spare! Whew! I admit I was getting nervous at the end. :-)
Juanita
Go to Top of Page

minh

USA
3463 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  7:37:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For February, I was able to combine the Cormo woolalong with the Defi 13 theme "Cruise" by knitting a blue scarf in Cormo.

For March, I'm in trouble... The woolalong is Blue Face Leicester but the Defi 13 theme is plant fibers (hemp, linen,...). So it's either two projects or I have to spin two fibers together into a yarn and knit it up. I do have two lovely skeins of BFL sport from String Theory. Maybe a brioche hat?

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KnittingKittens
Chatty Knitter

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  03:43:00 AM  Show Profile Send KnittingKittens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thermis Cowl is finished, blocked and worn several times already. So soft against the neck--I really love it! I am sitting out the March BFL and look forward to seeing the knitted pretties in BFL.
Go to Top of Page

peggymchoe
Warming Up

63 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  06:54:12 AM  Show Profile Send peggymchoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This sounds fun! Serendipitously I have been working on a Prairie Rose Shawl with Elsa Cormo woolen-spun yarn. I didn't even know this was going on until I read about the March woolalong this morning. Unfortunately motoring on the shawl has caused a pain in my right wrist, so I am on a knitting hiatus (hopefully brief).
Go to Top of Page

minh

USA
3463 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  12:27:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I posted pictures of two Cormo scarves on my blog: "La Novia" (in Foxfire Cormo/Silk/Alpaca) which I knitted in February and "Patricia's shawl" (in Foxfire Cormo/Silk) which I knitted a couple of years ago.

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

NutmegOwl
Gabber Extraordinaire

581 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  1:12:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit NutmegOwl's Homepage Send NutmegOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now I know for sure what to do with my Foxfire! L.O.V.E. the La Novia - so glad you posted pix!

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.61 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000