Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Knitting for Babies and Children
 Looking for zip up back hooded sweater pattern
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mmjryoung
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
360 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  08:05:53 AM  Show Profile Send mmjryoung a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have found the baby/infant pattern on Knitting on the Net.
Cannot find the one in worsted weight in 3 sizes that people have mentioned finding on "about.com".
Found mention of one in Zip Up Baby Sweater Decorating and Craft Ideas/March 1981 but that is as far as I get.
If anyone can direct me to worsted weight pattern or different size pattern would appreciate it.

Have seen Fiber Trends ribbed one and don't like it.
Thanks...

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2594 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  08:52:38 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This one has no picture, but here is the pattern:

http://www.knitting-crochet.com/found/hooswefou.html

and here's the one you probably have - one (newborn) size, sport-weight yarn:

http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/babyswezipback.htm

Maybe you could use worsted weight and have it come out bigger, but I can't speak to the proportions.

The one I had bookmarked from about.com has a broken link. Sorry. I'll keep digging for it.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  10:56:22 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The lady on "Knitting o n the net" used to be the one who handled about's knitting section. She should be able to help. Some patterns left with her when she left them.

What size are you looking for? Buy the zipper before you start knitting.

Scroll down to see a pic of the last one I made. It was knit with grow room and continued to fit her until she was over 3 years old. The style of the hood is such that it stands up in the back but continues to cuddle the face as the child grows. I loved it. I knit a small teddy on the fron of the pattern and also put in a hoodie pocket and made matching pants that were not part of the original pattern.

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/2007_01_21_archive.html

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mmjryoung
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
360 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  12:29:46 PM  Show Profile Send mmjryoung a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks ladies.

Think I am probably looking for 12-18 mos size....anything larger than infant. That is the pattern I like though.
I'll try to contact knitting on the net lady.

Fran...about 2 years ago in the forum you sent me info on how to do ribbed cap using gauge. Can't tell you how many of these I have made...thanks for this info.
Baby is adorable!
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  3:46:36 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is your knitting gauge rather than the size of yarn you use that determines size. I use the knitting standards sizing charts. So I ran a few numbers with this pattern, which is almost my favorite. I make a few changes in it.

http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/babyswezipback.ht

As written, it is a size 12 month size sweater, that is 6 st. and 7.5 rows per inch.

At 5.5 stitches per inch, it is a size 18 mo.
At 5 stitches per inch, it is a size 24 months.
Primary difference between a 24 month and a size 2 is in length.

Now for the lengths use ruler measurements rather than the number of rows.

length to underarm, (underarm to waist) for a size 12 mo. is 3.5 and (3.5)
for size 18 mo is 4 and (4)
for size 2 is 4.5 and (4) Ahhhh.... go ahead, make it a 4.5

On the average another 2 inches is added to the length of a sweater for below the waist and then ribbing is added.

So now for your yarn, baby yarn will make a delicate light weight sweater, sport weight will make an average weight sweater with a soft hand. Worsted weight will make a tighter knit, warmer sweater. Choose whatever one you want and then work on your correct stitches per inch.

Note: difference between a 18 mo and a size 2 is 2 inches around the chest and 1 inch in back waist length. 3 inches in sleeve length.

Changes I make to pattern: knit until center front piece is 10.5 inches across. This will lower armholes about 1/2 inch. Measure for sleeve from center back down to cuff. Make it 17 inches and then add a 2 to 3 inch cuff. This will allow you to fold up the cuff at first and then lower it as the child grows. Benefit--another year of wear. This is the size being worn in the photo of my great grandbaby.

Other changes: I use a 2 stitch garter band on both sides of the zipper. Stitch the zipper in by hand with your stitches at the back of the 2 stitch band. Use a back stitch or picking method. This is the exact amount needed to cover the metal part of the zipper and help eliminate the yarn catching in the zipper. I also put a stitch between the increases along the raglan lines. That's just because I like it that way. Please note: the sweater in the picture is sewn together incorrectly. Match the sides of the sweater on both sides of the zipper. One side should not be longer than the other.

How do I know this stuff? You start with 3 children, then you add 12 grandchildren and follow up with 5 great grandchildren. I've knit more sweaters than I can count.

fran

Go to Top of Page

mmjryoung
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
360 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  05:39:22 AM  Show Profile Send mmjryoung a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Once again...thanks. Fran your post most helpful.
May be back in touch when I start this sweater.
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1796 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  5:44:10 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just got my spring Patternworks catalogue, and there is a very cute back-zipped baby hoodie pattern on one of the baby pages towards the back of the catalogue.

You could go online to Patternworks, and bring up the catalogue pages, find the baby yarn pages, and have a lok.

Good luck!

Anna
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2594 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  6:47:12 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anna -

I couldn't find the pattern on the Patternworks website. Can you provide more info on it, or a link?

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  05:20:05 AM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went through this same search a couple years back. I had a sweater like this for my children, and wanted to make one in about 18 - 24 mos size. Most that are available are 6 - 12 mos for the largest size. A friend brought me an old faded Xerox copy of a magazine from the 70's, but it's so faded that I couldn't follow it. Why on earth is this old classic not available? It was my absolute favorite sweater, and each of my five children wore it. Thanks for your input, Fran! I tried making one larger, but it fits my 8 month old grandson right now. He needs a bigger one!

Jan
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  05:30:36 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer knitting with DK weight yarn and that is why I developed this pattern. It is the simplest way to increase the size up to a size 2. If you want a larger size, that is not too difficult either but does involve changing the numbers. Once you have the hood finished on this pattern, it is a basic top down sweater that is open in the back.

I am still working on hood sizing. I have a 23 inch head size. I need a hood that is 12 inches by 12 inches. My daughter had a 22 inch head. She needs a hood that is 11 inches by 11 inches. I wonder if that follows through for smaller sizes.

If any of you have a knitted hood, could you measure it and see if that is how hood sizes correlate to head sizes? Now I knit my hoods a little larger, about an inch in width but the same length, but we may be on to something here.

fran

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  05:32:35 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Coming soon.......a universal pattern for zip up the back hoodie in all sizes.

fran

Go to Top of Page

mmjryoung
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
360 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  05:42:20 AM  Show Profile Send mmjryoung a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you...looking forward to it!
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  05:52:41 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zip up the back hoodie pattern now posted on my blog, dated 2/24/10 Just click below

fran

Go to Top of Page

sjanova
Seriously Hooked

USA
963 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  07:23:41 AM  Show Profile Send sjanova a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fran, you are just amazing. And checking out the blog gave me another chance to ooooh and aaaahhh at the babies. Hard to believe that little boy is so big now.

sja
Go to Top of Page

mmjryoung
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
360 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  08:05:09 AM  Show Profile Send mmjryoung a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wonderful...thanks so much. I'm on my way to Michaels this am to buy Bernat Baby Jacqurds to try this out. Thanks again Fran...amazing!
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1796 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  12:04:41 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not necessary, but I was incorrect in my description of the location of the Patternworks catalogue pattern, if anyone is interested.......

The picture is about 1/3 - 1/2 of the way through the catalogue, stuck on the upper right corner of a page, light blue hoodie.

I comes a few pages before the baby stuff, not in any particular logical order!

Anna
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  6:50:41 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks! I'm printing it out now!

Jan
Go to Top of Page

mmjryoung
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
360 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  4:45:58 PM  Show Profile Send mmjryoung a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Fran. Printed it out and should start next week.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe