Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Talk about books reviewed in Knitter's Review
 The Haapsalu Shawl
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Clara
queen bee

USA
4401 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  8:04:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was very curious about this book - curious enough to shell out $60 and eagerly wait for my 3-pound tome to arrive. Hadn't Nancy Bush written all there was to say about the lace knitters of Haapsalu? Did she know about this book? Did they know about hers? (The answers would be no, yes, and yes.)

Here's this week's review.

For knitterly folks who take pride in having a comprehensive reference library, this is a must-add. If you're an Estonian lace dabbler on a budget? Maybe not. All I can say is that this book comes with its own soundtrack. Open the cover and a choir of angels starts to sing. Birds tweet. Doves land on your shoulder. Deer wander out from the forest. It's a beautiful thing.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher

Martheme
Sustaining Member

USA
1565 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  08:07:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martheme's Homepage  Send Martheme a Yahoo! Message Send Martheme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, Seriously Clara! you have got to stop reviewing such great books! You are totally killing my book budget so far this year . . . I've wound up with something like 6 new knitting books I hadn't planned to buy and about 1/2 of those are directly because of you! And now I have to go get this one! I'm begging you, please next book review pick a nice celebrity filled pattern book . . .

Are you trying to be the Oprah of knitting books?

;) Margaret

Blog: http://www.afewsheepshyofafarm.com/
Go to Top of Page

carolbeech
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  08:22:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit carolbeech's Homepage Send carolbeech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I purchased this book from Elann and I think it is so beautiful. I love the photographs of the original shawls and the stories about the famous people who were the recipients of a Haapsalu shawl. I think the book is very usable with a little experience.

www.carolbeech.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LJ
Permanent Resident

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  08:26:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit LJ's Homepage Send LJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Clara,

Please stick with sock book reviews. I am not tempted by them.

Lace books are another story. And I need new shingles for my roof.

Regards
Linda in Va

My Blog: http://wallisknits.blogspot.com
My Patterns:
Go to Top of Page

larkanne
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  08:45:20 AM  Show Profile Send larkanne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is an excellent review, and made me take a second look at the book. Having read Nancy Bush's book cover to cover, and knit from it, I wasn't really interested in a second book on the subject. You make it clear that this is quite a different view, and I will be watching for it. Although I will probably check it out of the library rather than buy this one.

Clara, you are a great writer. You provide prospective and a tremendous amount of information with economy and interesting style!
Go to Top of Page

kcknitnut
New Pal

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  09:00:31 AM  Show Profile Send kcknitnut a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I. too have the first book. Our Knitting guild wants to have a raffle for Oct. Cancer Walk. So I went to pg 83 and decided I'd so that TRANGULAR SHAWL for the project. Doing the "nupps" is the challenge. Using a toothpick along side the needle solved the problem for me. I'm on the second layer of "nupps" on the first chart. Takes me 45 min to do 2 rows. There have been needlepoint challenges in my life but THIS is my first REAL knitting challenge.

KC
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3458 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  12:09:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The problem with Clara's reviews is that her writing is so compelling that if she wrote a positive review on a book about the history of toilet paper or the many uses of sawdust for example, I would be halfway to the bookstore or clicking on the "buy now" button before realizing that I don't care about those topics that much. Or I might read the books and discover that these topics are profound and important.

Her power is great...

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Martheme
Sustaining Member

USA
1565 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  12:16:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martheme's Homepage  Send Martheme a Yahoo! Message Send Martheme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Minh, I totally agree . . . she could sell ice to penguins ;) My copy of the book is now on its way from Elann . . . I had to get it before the power of Clara's review cases it to sell out ;)

Margaret

Blog: http://www.afewsheepshyofafarm.com/
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4379 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  12:16:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by minh

The problem with Clara's reviews is that her writing is so compelling that if she wrote a positive review on a book about the history of toilet paper or the many uses of sawdust for example, I would be halfway to the bookstore or clicking on the "buy now" button before realizing that I don't care about those topics that much. Or I might read the books and discover that these topics are profound and important.

Her power is great...

Ahhh, remember Clara's fabulous review of PurrFect Yarns?

Jane

Betty needs a warm hat: Support KR
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3458 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  12:38:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jane, thanks for the reminder! I am so gullible and powerless when Clara reviews something...

Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  6:43:28 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is really a very lovely book.

I was so excited to hear about it on another newsletter (you got scooped, Clara!)
that I bought it from Estonia, and it is written in Estonian!

Now there's cultural integrity for you!

Of course, within a week of receiving it, I heard that it was going to be republished in English! Glack!

But it only cost me $40.00, maybe $45, with postage! So I am not totally disappointed.

And I have heard that learning Estonian is a snap! Berlitz says 4 hours, max.

Anna

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?