Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 Signature NeedleArts Circulars
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

SandraPurl
Chatty Knitter

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  12:46:37 PM  Show Profile Send SandraPurl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just received two circular Signature NeedleArts needles. They are beautiful needles, but I have found one problem. I have to push the stitches onto the needle at the join because the part of the needle that is attached to the cable is too thick. :( I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem. I will be getting in touch with the company to see if there have been any complaints of this nature.

SandraPurl
Layla's GrandMa

SkeinHerder
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
385 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  1:37:36 PM  Show Profile Send SkeinHerder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've wanted to try those, but they've always been sold out when ever I've looked. I love their dpns!

Happiness is an inside job.

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/SkeinHerder
Go to Top of Page

caroledward
Chatty Knitter

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  12:57:37 PM  Show Profile Send caroledward a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have encountered the same problem. I am very disapointed with the Signature circulars. I love my DPNs and Single points but am not at all impressed by the circulars.

Go to Top of Page

SandraPurl
Chatty Knitter

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  5:34:11 PM  Show Profile Send SandraPurl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much for the feedback. I really didn't think I could be the only one not completely happy with the circulars. I love the needles, they are really great! However, always having to push the stitches from the cable onto the needle wastes so much (knitting)time.

SandraPurl
Layla's GrandMa
Go to Top of Page

SandraPurl
Chatty Knitter

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  5:39:26 PM  Show Profile Send SandraPurl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always use (and love) KnitPicks circulars, but wish they would come out with a set of non-interchangeable circulars in all sizes and cord lengths.

SandraPurl
Layla's GrandMa
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
543 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  4:08:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SandraPurl, I'm with you ... I prefer fixed circulars to interchangeables. Having the KnitPicks fixed circulars only in the smaller sizes limits the "options," IMO.

I have wanted to try the Signatures, but they are still not available when I check. Now that I've read these posts, I may just try the straights. I still like short (9-10") straights for knitting scarves.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time.
Go to Top of Page

knitwitch39
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
482 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  12:00:18 AM  Show Profile Send knitwitch39 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was recently gifted a pair of size 5 circs that had the same problem: the join on one side required that I push and wiggle the stitches over it. Other than that, though, the circs were a dream...beautiful, well marked, very pointy with a sturdy cable that rotated as it should and didn't kink.

I contacted Signature and they very speedily sent me a return label and authorization number, even though I'd had mine long past the 21-day return period and they were a gift. I was told it would probably be 6-8 weeks before my replacement would get back to me.

Signature circs are a new product they are developing and as such are a wip. I expect a few bumps in the road and I am impressed with their great willingness to *make things right* and to stand behind their name, even in situations like mine when they could have said *Sorry but...*

...and I am impressed enough with the circ I received that when they are available, I will order the sizes I need for my cobweb and laceweight knitting.

SandraPurl, contact them and let them know about your needles. I'm sure they will resolve the problem for you with either a refund or a replacement.

"Let there be nothing within thee that is not very beautiful and very gentle, and there will be nothing without thee that is not beautiful and softened by the spell of thy presence." -James Allen

Go to Top of Page

SkeinHerder
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
385 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  07:14:39 AM  Show Profile Send SkeinHerder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's good to know. I might wait for them to work out the kinks and try to get some. Of course then they have to be available on their website. But I'ld be willing to try them.

Happiness is an inside job.

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/SkeinHerder
Go to Top of Page

bridget99air@hotmail.com

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  01:22:09 AM  Show Profile Send bridget99air@hotmail.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update on the Sig Circs - I will wait until the 'bathtub curve' is more shallow before purchasing (in reliability engineering, there is a classic curve regarding failure called a bathtub curve - it starts out high on the left and has a steep slope until it flattens out - then at the end of life, the curve slopes upward steeply - you want to purchase at the point the curve 'turns the corner and flattens out') I do love the Sig straights, though - gorgeous.
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  03:22:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Clara - for the post about the new Signature circular needles. I've enjoyed fondling their straights at MS&W but I'm strictly a circular needle gal and if the join isn't as good as an Addi Lace I'm not interested.

I laughed at the complaint about the packaging because $40 IS a luxury price - but I guess I'd rather not pay another $5 or $10 for a box. Can't wait to try out a pair.

Bess
http://likethequeen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tessellate
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  05:26:31 AM  Show Profile Send Tessellate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe it's just me, but I am really tired of frilly packaging. The needles are luxurious, I don't need them to come enclosed within stylish stuff that's just going to get tossed into a landfill to confirm that. Am disappointed at the suggestion that there should be extra disposable packaging so that we can feel they are special enough - anyone in doubt can just ask a Signature user: they're already special!
Go to Top of Page

sprboston
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  05:37:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit sprboston's Homepage  Send sprboston a Yahoo! Message Send sprboston a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I may need to try these out. But I'll feel like I'm cheating on my Addi's, no?

Sean
Go to Top of Page

HRH the Knitting Queen
Chatty Knitter

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  07:04:46 AM  Show Profile Send HRH the Knitting Queen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought the 5s, 6s and 7s as soon as we could online about a month ago and I am in love!

I immediately changed out needles on other projects. I wish I had a whole set of these things...I may have to take out a second job.

www.merrykarma.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Schaeferyarnlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

513 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  12:47:58 PM  Show Profile Send Schaeferyarnlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The packaging thing really does bother me. When my hubby or son buys clothes, especially a jacket they get a nice hanger. Used to be wood but still a nice plastic. I ordered a FULL price jacket and pants from Talbot, for $315!!!(because I was desperate) and received them balled up in a cheap plastic bag, inside another cheap plastic bag thrown onto my porch after dark. Strangely enough, when I needed to exchange the jacket,it came on a hanger in a cardboard box.
I think women accept the cheapo stuff whereas a man would not bring a suit home from the store balled up in a bag.
I'm just saying.

Debra
Go to Top of Page

sba13221
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  3:04:44 PM  Show Profile Send sba13221 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Am I the only one who thinks $40 for a knitting needle (I only use circs) is out of sight? These sound wonderful, and maybe I'd love them (just as I'd love to have lots of new and wonderful things) but the economy these days has hit us hard and $40 for ONE knitting needle seems just exorbitant to me. I'll keep on w/ my Addi's. The lace ones are sharp, have a great cord, and a perfect join. AND, I can almost buy 3 for the price of one of these.
Go to Top of Page

bkallima@bellsouth.net

USA
Posted - 05/27/2010 :  4:26:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit bkallima@bellsouth.net's Homepage Send bkallima@bellsouth.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, you are definitely not the only one who thinks $40 for a pair of needles is excessive. I did pay $20-something a pair for several pairs of Holz & Stein circulars and dpn needles a few years back and after the fact I wondered if I had a bout of temporary insanity.

Don't get me wrong I love them but at the same time I realized that there isn't a needle in the world that I would pay that much for again. I love my Addi's and the set of Colonial Rosewoods that were a Christmas gift but I've definitely reached my max on what I will spend on needles. I'd much rather spend the money on yarn.
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  5:21:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not having ever seen, nor ever likely to see, the new Signature NeedleArts circs (I have seen a friend's DPNs and was suitably impressed) my reply isn't about the needles but about the packaging.

Instead of ordinary, throw-away packaging why doesn't one (or all) of the companies package their circulars in a see-through, zippered pocket which can be inserted into a binder, possibly distributed by the company. The packaging would be useful on its own, could lead to follow-up sales of the binder and does not add to the ever-increasing burden of the landfill. Just a thought.

KathyR

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.
My Blog
http://www.flickr.com/groups/kr_members/ (Roselea Fibres)
Go to Top of Page

terry@inastrol.com

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  6:11:04 PM  Show Profile Send terry@inastrol.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So are the circulars they sold at MDSW the corrected ones or the flawed ones?
Go to Top of Page

mcmircle
New Pal

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  8:49:21 PM  Show Profile Send mcmircle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Signatures sound lovely, but I agree that $40 for one circular is excessive, if not Athena's way of saying you have too much money. ;-).
I love circulars, but Addi turbos are so much more reasonable....
Each to her own, I guess
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2010 :  10:00:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcmircle
I love circulars, but Addi turbos are so much more reasonable....

After reading through this thread I've come to the conclusion that the $40 Signature circs could be the best thing to happen to Addi. It wasn't that long ago that people considered Addi to be outrageously expensive at $15-$20. Remember the hysteria when the price went up from $12? Now Addi looks like the frugal choice.

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4165 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2010 :  1:20:27 PM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have to agree with GFTC. Addis do look like a relative bargain now. I've never knit with signature needles but I've read great reviews, especially the pointy tips. But I find that KnitPicks tips are just fine for me. I'm wondering how much better the actual knitting looks with the more expensive needles?

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by