Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitterly Happenings and Events
 Is anyone going to Maryland Sheep and Wool 2010?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cindymen
Warming Up

71 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  5:20:13 PM  Show Profile Send cindymen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't found anything about this years festival on the forum so I wasn't sure where to post!!

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1802 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  5:30:52 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's coming up soon,, and I am going!

Anna
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3973 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  5:43:24 PM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought this year I could go but I'm needed by the family.

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.
Go to Top of Page

knittingrunner
Seriously Hooked

USA
809 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  6:30:06 PM  Show Profile Send knittingrunner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I anticipate having family visiting from VT that weekend so no MDS&W for me

Run, Bike, Knit, Repeat!
knittingbiker on Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

cindymen
Warming Up

71 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  6:35:55 PM  Show Profile Send cindymen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any suggestions for a first timer?
Go to Top of Page

LJ
Permanent Resident

USA
1939 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  06:11:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit LJ's Homepage Send LJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be there on Saturday.

First timer suggestions: comfortable shoes, layers, bring food as food lines are long, set a budget, look at the vendors list and set a plan for shopping/seeing esp if your there only one day, be prepared to be overwhelmed!

Linda in Va

My Blog: http://wallisknits.blogspot.com
My Patterns:
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5190 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  06:35:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will absolutely be there, spending most of my time in the Tuatha and Spirit Trail Booths. I cannot wait!

I agree with Linda's suggestions, and would also add--sunscreen sunscreen sunscreen, make a point of seeing the knitting and spinning competition entries, bring reusable shopping bags to make purchases easier to deal with, and focus on things you can't get or see at your local yarn shop--the animals, the farm yarns, the wonderful people, etc.

Are we going to try for a KR lunch get-together this year?

See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.com/
Read my audiobook reviews: http://booksforears.com/
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Go to Top of Page

LJ
Permanent Resident

USA
1939 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  09:40:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit LJ's Homepage Send LJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We won't get there until 11:00 at the earliest so won't be stopping for lunch. I'll be eating on the move!

I do plan to shop at SpiritTrail. Have you seen Jen's new shawl pattern? Beautiful!

Linda in Va

My Blog: http://wallisknits.blogspot.com
My Patterns:
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2600 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  1:48:16 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be there if the weather and conditions are perfect - by that I mean: no mud, no dustbowls, no rain, no searing heat. All the earlier suggestions are spot-on. Did someone mention bringing water? Also, if you are bringing a child, bring a SMALL stroller - not one of those behemoths!

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

thgrowlikeagirl
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  08:33:26 AM  Show Profile Send thgrowlikeagirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am counting the days! I love this festival. This will be my third year and I plan to be there as much of the weekend as I can, easy for me because I live nearby. I agree with all the other suggestions. You never know what you might find, last year I even bought some organically started tomatoes for the garden. I would love to meet for lunch or just to meet some other fiber addicts! lol

Heather in Catonsville
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2027 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2010 :  08:05:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do.

I cannot wait to be there (like Lanea, I'll be at the faboo Spirit Trail Fiberworks booth - we're in the main buidling!) so please come & see Jennifer's beautiful yarns & fiber & see us too.

Some vendors from the smaller farms may accept only cash so be prepared for that - it took me by surprise the 1st year.

Lanea & LJ gave great ideas to which I add my "Ditto" - see you soon.

Martha

http://marfasmewsings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4403 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2010 :  12:03:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be there with bells on! Can't wait to see Jen's new yarns too - I'll probably orbit around her booth often, crowds permitting.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

thgrowlikeagirl
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2010 :  05:47:49 AM  Show Profile Send thgrowlikeagirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I plan to be at the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival on both days. I just finished my very first lace shawl, the Prairie Rose Shawl from The Knitters Book of Wool. I need to block it after work today. This is why warm weather is predicted for the festival, I knitted a wool shawl. Every other year I have attended, it has been cold and/or rainy. Anyway, if you see a middle aged woman with dark hair, slightly overweight, wearing a green lace shawl, please tell me it looks great (lie). It was the most difficult item I have ever knitted. I really would enjoy meeting others from this forum.
Go to Top of Page

Cheerleader9
Permanent Resident

USA
1563 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  7:24:38 PM  Show Profile Send Cheerleader9 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really have to share this email from my daughter. She's a fairly new knitter and when she manages to come "home" to Arizona she wants a lesson in something. The last visit she started a sock. I ordered some beginner books and she patiently went to work! Now to the point.. I had not mentioned the festival to her. I had to chuckle as I read her email. Ladies, she's hooked I couldn't help but think that any one of you might have crossed paths with my daughter as well. She lives in Annapolis. I hope her note makes you smile. There's nothing that compare to the joy of sharing is there?

Hi. Just got back from the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival. Walked around
in 90 degree humid weather and shopped for yarn and stuff. Spinning and
weaving seems to be very big now. Beautiful yarn and patterns. Took
Phyllis with me, now she has the bug. Also there, are sheep and alpaca and
rabbits etc. It's like a fair with contestants and ribbons. They have a
"sheep to shawl" contest where you compete as teams. They bring their own
sheep, shear it, spin it, then weave it. It has to be of certain dimensions
and they time you and rate you. Very fun.

Well, I am exhausted. I can't imagine being any older than this. I hurt
all over.

Love you, Les

Ps. Have started over at least 10 times with my herringbone pattern socks.
But I think I'm on a roll now.

Barb in AZ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cheerleader9
http://www.ravelry.com/people/Cheerleader9
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4388 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2010 :  02:38:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Priceless, Barb! Especially the part about being any older...

I was the weaver on a sheep to shawl team at MDS&W back in its early days. We had about ten spectators. It was fun, though!

Jane

Betty needs a warm hat: Support KR
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

thgrowlikeagirl
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2010 :  09:45:19 AM  Show Profile Send thgrowlikeagirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had such a fantastic time at the MS&W. The crowd was a record breaker on Saturday from what I heard. I had to park across the street for the first time and I was already hot and sweaty before I got to the gate. I was determined to wear my new lace shawl, I had just blocked it the night before. I received many, many compliments and it wasn't hot, it helped to keep the sun off my shoulders. I live nearby so I was lucky enough to go both days. I spent quite a bit of money on yarn, but I think I got many wools that are harder to find locally. I already can't wait for next year.
Go to Top of Page

linda-gail
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  07:07:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit linda-gail's Homepage Send linda-gail a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I go every year, usually both days, and I love it. I no longer spend "lots" of money but always a little more than I had planned. ; )
It was so hot this year, and Saturday was more crowded than I have seen it in a long time. I think it's the first tiem they parked cars across the street. Sunday was much better. If you only have one day there, I suggest Sunday - at least you can get into the booths without being crushed.

I liked the new set up with some of the vendors being moved out to where there was more space. As a shopper, I appreciated having room to move around instead of constantly bumping into shelves, baskets and people. I had no trouble finding the new area and they made announcements about it all day to alert people.

I only bought one skein of yarn but came home with more fiber than I had planned to buy, a drop spindle, some wonderful stitch markers, and a beautifully turned orifice hook for my wheel. My friend Nancy (new to spinning) left with a couple of pounds of fiber, yarn for at least 2 sweaters and other goodies. She had classes on both mornings and only shopped in the afternoons. Imagine what would have happened if she'd had all day to shop!

We stayed for the spinning gathering on Sat. night - that's always fun if you have the energy to last that long. It's informal, you get to watch people trying out new fibers, spindles, wheels and other goodies, and everybody shares info with everybody else. I tried three new spindles while there.

The skein and garment competition was awesome to behold - I hope those of you who attended looked in at it. It is truly inspiring.

Linda, knitting and spinning away in MD
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.62 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?