Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 Question on reinforcing sock heels
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

meridiana@verizon.net
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  10:59:14 AM  Show Profile Send meridiana@verizon.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,

I'd appreciate advice from those of you who are sock experts. I am knitting a wonderful pair of socks in the toes-up, two-socks-at-a-time, Magic Loop method. I'm nearly ready to start the heel. I know how to do that--have made lots of socks--but for the first time I'm using a lovely 100% wool sock-weight yarn, and I wonder if it needs to be reinforced.

To that end I bought Regia 75% wool/25% polyamide thread in a matching color, wound on a flat card.. I bought two of these cards, thinking I'd use one thread from each in one of my socks. So here's my question.

That would mean I'd be managing two threads for each sock--one from a Regia card & the inside of my sock yarn skein for the Left Sock, and one from the other Regia card and the outside of my sock yarn skein for the Right Sock.

Eeek! This seems unwieldy & unmanageable and likely to be a recipe for a tangled mess. I'm losing my courage here...thinking of not reinforcing at all.

Any thoughts/advice?

Thanks in advance,

Meridiana

Vcoerulea
Chatty Knitter

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  2:42:38 PM  Show Profile Send Vcoerulea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The easiest way would be to place the stitches for one sock on holders,work the heel on the other sock,and then reverse places. That way you're only working one sock with two threads at a time. When you have both socks back to one thread each,resume Magic Loop to finish legs.
HTH
Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

meridiana@verizon.net
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  3:16:12 PM  Show Profile Send meridiana@verizon.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Elizabeth. That's the only option that I can see so far. Good to have that affirmed. Thanks so much for this response!

Any other thoughts/methods out there?
Go to Top of Page

Vcoerulea
Chatty Knitter

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  5:12:39 PM  Show Profile Send Vcoerulea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well,another option is to put the two balls for each sock in separate containers(zip lock bags are a popular choice).But if you think four threads sounds unwieldly,imagine trying to unwind a pull skein from the inside and outside at the same time to divide it in half - when you are already this far into the project.If you even consider that option I bow to your dedication-or compusiveness or insanity depending on the point of view.LOL I've worked with four balls of yarn at the same time before,but draw the line at dividing a pull skein in half mid-project.
Go to Top of Page

aprilshowers
Chatty Knitter

295 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  5:14:24 PM  Show Profile Send aprilshowers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Vcoerulea. Even if I only had 1 thread for each sock, I do the heels separately when knitting 2 at a time. Because, most likely, you're not knitting all the way across the heel every row anyway. So your needle tips won't be at the right point to continue across the 2cnd heel. Does that make sense? One beer with dinner and I feel like I am spouting complete gibberish!

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4376 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2010 :  02:48:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I'd solve the dilemma by not reinforcing the heels at all! I've never worn out the heel of a sock (and I wear mine in all kinds of shoes). The ball of the foot usually goes first for me, if ever (well, it happened once).

Jane

Betty needs a warm hat: Support KR
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

fiddlerbird555
Permanent Resident

USA
1429 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2010 :  06:45:35 AM  Show Profile Send fiddlerbird555 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm threatening to do the peasant (easily replaced) heel next time I knit socks for DH. He's hell on the heels of his bought socks. (The one pair I knitted were too wooly and too thick for his taste.

I can go loopy, or I can knit. Your choice.
Go to Top of Page

meridiana@verizon.net
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2010 :  10:24:01 AM  Show Profile Send meridiana@verizon.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh thank you all so much--I am loving reading these responses. First of all, they are helpful AND hilarious. And second, they reinforce the fact that I have so much conflict about how to proceed. I've considered not reinforcing, or trying to put the cards of nylon in separate containers, and yes...I even considered trying to unwind the ball and doing it over into two balls (but as you suggested, that really boggled my mind so I gave up on that idea immediately).

Most useful was hearing that most of you who do Magic Loop 2 Socks at once stop when you get to the heel and do each sock separately, one at a time. That's what I almost always do too, and I thought I was wimping out, so it was good to know I have lots of companions in that method. After I finish both heels I go right back to doing the two legs at the same time.

If there are any more ideas out there, I'd love to hear them, although I think I will be starting the heels tonight. How, exactly, I still haven't made up my mind! Oy!

PS, I keep typing "heels" as "hells." Is there a deep psychological meaning there? LOL.
Go to Top of Page

Coolj
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2010 :  05:18:42 AM  Show Profile Send Coolj a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And another option--I made a toe-up Christmas stocking last year and wanted the heel and toe to be a different color than the body of the sock. I decided it was time I learned how to do an afterthought heel and was amazed at how easy it was. It looked great, too! Here's the tutorial I used. http://knitting-up-a-storm.blogspot.com/2009/04/afterthought-heel-pt1.html

To answer your question regarding "deep psychological meaning," a good sense of humor gets us through our knitting dilemmas! Hmmm . . . I didn't really answer it, did I?

Juanita
Go to Top of Page

meridiana@verizon.net
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2010 :  07:30:29 AM  Show Profile Send meridiana@verizon.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Juanita,

THANK YOU for that URL to that fabulous afterthought heel tutorial. Most impressive. I will have to re-read it carefully and decide whether to try it. Probably not on these socks because they are a gift for someone, but I think I will give it a try on my next pair, obsessive sock knitter that I am. Believe me, I bookmarked it and will go right back to it! Again, thank you.

M. who still hasn't started the damn reinforced hells...er...heels...
Go to Top of Page

socks4all
Permanent Resident

USA
1460 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2010 :  04:51:18 AM  Show Profile Send socks4all a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I control the reinforcing cards by putting them inside the sock they are being used for. For each row I unwind a little more than I think I will need and put the card back in the sock. This way they are not unwinding excessively and are not twisting around each other and the main ball of yarn. Taking your time and being mindful of what is happening with all the strands helps too.
Go to Top of Page

meridiana@verizon.net
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2010 :  3:08:00 PM  Show Profile Send meridiana@verizon.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah!!! Now there is an idea I am going to try. Thank you. I think I will pick up the socks tonight and try this.

Everyone: Thanks so much. I have many new tips to try.

M.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.98 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?