Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 border with mitered corners?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2010 :  08:37:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure this has been covered somewhere, and if so, perhaps someone can just direct me to the previous posts. But ... here goes:

I'd like to put a garter-stitch border around a baby blanket by picking up stitches around the blanket and doing increases at each corner, sort of the way I did for the bottom of a market bag with a square bottom (YO and knit at end of each "row," knit and YO and beginning to make four corners), or perhaps some other increase without the YO. Anyway, I see that this will be a huge number of stitches on a long circular needle. Has anyone done this?

I see in Mason-Dixon Knitting that the mitered borders are done one edge at a time, with the increased ends of each side joined with mattress stitch.

I'd appreciate any feedback and/or suggestions on these techniques, which is most satisfactory, etc. Thanx!

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time.

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2010 :  10:22:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have the same thing coming up but with a larger (couch potato size) blanket so I'll have 216 sts down the sides and 180 sts on each end. I've come up with a few ideas, one of which is what you have described.

For a baby blanket you should be able to get all the stitches on a couple of long circs and knit around increasing at each corner for the miters. Don't forget that if you are knitting garter stitch in the round you have to Knit 1 Row, Purl 1 Row and not Knit every row as you normally would for garter.

This link will take you to a blog showing multiple circular needles in use: http://chicknits.com/rambles/?m=20100429

enabler info: Elann sells 60" Addis.

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2010 :  12:28:36 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've done the same thing many times. Just place a marker at each corner and increase one stitch before and after the marker every other row to get a neat miter. I usually put one or two stitches between the increases.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  08:12:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sincere thanks to you both, and especially for the reminder about purling when making garter stitch in the round. Duh, I wasn't even thinking of that. That fact may be enough to convince me to knit just one edge at a time so I can knit every row; lots of purling does tend to slow me down.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe