Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Seeking Advice about Yarns
 Asking the Impossible?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

terpsfan
Warming Up

65 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2010 :  10:00:47 AM  Show Profile Send terpsfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I live in a hot, humid mid-Atlantic state, and when it's time to knit a summer top I always encounter a dilemma. Cotton is too heavy, bamboo loses its shape, and silk also tends to droop. Last year I had success with a Tahki worsted-weight cotton tape called Terra, but it has been discontinued. Have been reading Clara's reviews for years but don't remember seeing anything that was both lightweight and elastic. Am I asking the impossible?

NutmegOwl
Gabber Extraordinaire

576 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2010 :  1:05:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit NutmegOwl's Homepage Send NutmegOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recommend linen or hemp. Depending on the stitch you use, these can hold their shape beautifully. elsebeth lavold Hempathy is a really nice blend, but there are many other hemp yarns. (You will want to be SURE to wash your swatch of it, as there is some gauge change after washing.) I also enjoy Louet linen, though I'm sure many many other knitters are going to protest that they don't like knitting with it. To each her own. ;)

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3935 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2010 :  2:26:17 PM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with Nutmeg Owl - Louet Euroflax is wonderful to wear and I too don't mind knitting with it.

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2010 :  03:26:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Louet's Euroflax is much easier to knit with if it is soaked in water for 20 minutes or so and allowed to air dry before winding into a ball and using.

Universal Yarn distributes a linen yarn called Flax which can be comfortably used without the pre-soak. they also have a yarn called Summer Linen which is a blend of cotton and flax and is much softer than then Flax. Both Flax and Summer Linen are categorized by Universal as "DK" or "3" in weight but they feel like sport weight to me.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass ...
.....it's learning how to dance in the rain!
Come visit me at http://yarnbasket.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2594 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2010 :  03:59:47 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree that the linens make nice summer garments, but they don't have any elasticity. Another option is a cotton/microfiber (fancy name for acrylic?) blend.* The microfiber lightens the cotton and gives the yarn some bounce. I've used various blends - GGH (Samoa, Bali), Rowan Calmer - but there are many out there.

*I must admit, it took me awhile to get over my "knit with natural yarns only" high horse, but after knitting some unwearable summer tops in cotton, I tried a blend and am much happier for it.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

Gelliott
Seriously Hooked

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2010 :  6:40:22 PM  Show Profile Send Gelliott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really like working with cotton/wool blends in the summer. KnitPicks Risata is a favorite but there are many others.

Gelliott
Go to Top of Page

Kade1301
Permanent Resident

France
1438 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2010 :  03:16:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kade1301's Homepage Send Kade1301 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite summer top is 80 % wool with 20 % ramie - granted though, when it's really hot here it's generally not humid. Plus I handspun the blend (which I prepared myself), so I'm not sure whether anything like it is commercially available.

http://www.lahottee.info
Go to Top of Page

terpsfan
Warming Up

65 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2010 :  05:00:43 AM  Show Profile Send terpsfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by anderknit

I agree that the linens make nice summer garments, but they don't have any elasticity. Another option is a cotton/microfiber (fancy name for acrylic?) blend.* The microfiber lightens the cotton and gives the yarn some bounce. I've used various blends - GGH (Samoa, Bali), Rowan Calmer - but there are many out there.

*I must admit, it took me awhile to get over my "knit with natural yarns only" high horse, but after knitting some unwearable summer tops in cotton, I tried a blend and am much happier for it.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "

I too have dismounted my high horse! Thanks for the blend recommendations. My LYS also has a bamboo-wool blend from Classic Elite that I plan to swatch.
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2010 :  08:06:08 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Microfiber is a synthetic, usually acrylic or polyester, but it has been manufactured in a special way which allows it to wick away moisture. That removes the biggest complaint against acrylics and makes them comfortable instead of plasticky. (is plasticky a word?) It is used a lot in sportswear.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

terpsfan
Warming Up

65 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2010 :  5:51:46 PM  Show Profile Send terpsfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fmarrs

Microfiber is a synthetic, usually acrylic or polyester, but it has been manufactured in a special way which allows it to wick away moisture. That removes the biggest complaint against acrylics and makes them comfortable instead of plasticky. (is plasticky a word?) It is used a lot in sportswear.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/

Has Clara reviewed any of the microfiber yarns? She has written for a lot of different publications, and I often have a vague recollection but can't track it down?
Go to Top of Page

denvani
New Pal

42 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  03:43:05 AM  Show Profile Send denvani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A couple I like are Valley Yarns Longmeadow (Webs) and Cascade Pima Tencel. I'm a big fan of tencel for warm weather.
Go to Top of Page

gracielynn
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  06:24:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit gracielynn's Homepage Send gracielynn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks SO much for the facts about 'plastic' yarns..
I knew cotton would be too heavy & stretch too far..
but was unsure what would work.
thanks SO much for ALL or your input..

lisa

Do all work for the Glory of God :-)
Go to Top of Page

Tribble
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  07:56:39 AM  Show Profile Send Tribble a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As someone who has been knitting for 30 years and lives in the south, (not to mention, experiencing hot flashes), I'm always searching for cool yarns. My newest and coolest surprise is Bonzai by Berroco. Nicole by Vittadini is another one. Although they are not as popular as they used to be, ribbon yarns such as Rondo and Timo feel light as air next to the skin.I agree with anderknit- GGH Bali and cotton blend boucles tend to brush against the body than cling to it.I have been pleasantly surprised by Tye-Dye Cotton, as well. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

outlawknitter
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  10:39:26 AM  Show Profile Send outlawknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've knit with Euro Flax, wish I'd known about soaking it first. I did that after and it was much nicer. I've used Lion Brand Mirco Spun from JoAnn's and it has beautiful rich colors. The stitch definition is crisp but you must be careful with splitting the yarn since it is made up of 6 mico strans.
Go to Top of Page

NastiJ
Permanent Resident

1288 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  1:21:31 PM  Show Profile Send NastiJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FYI - Just received Elann's preview of June sales today, and several "summer-weight" yarns will be offered at sale prices:

http://www.elann.com/Commerce.web/sneakpeek.aspx

If I were not already in the SABLE category, I would enjoy some of those!

Nancy J.

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.84 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe