Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Share your latest find!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3458 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  7:00:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Please share your latest find, be it a technique, pattern, yarn, or book!

I'll start with the bind-off mentioned for the shawl I just finished.

K2, * transfer the 2 stitches back to the left needle and k2tog through the back loops, then k1 *; repeat from * to *

You don't actually need to transfer the 2 stitches back to the left needle, you can just insert the left needle into the 2 stitches to knit them through the back loops. This bind-off is both stretchy and quick, no need to lift one stitch over another.

This is similar to Lucy Neatby's *awesome* modified conventional bind-off which I just learned a couple of weeks ago:
http://happystitches.wordpress.com/2009/07/31/modified-conventional-bind-off/

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2357 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2010 :  08:02:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've used Lucy's awesome bind-off ever since I learned it about 8 years ago - it's so much faster than doing the conventional bind-off, and also is generally loose enough for everything I do (I'm not a tight knitter).

Shelia
www.letstalkstash.blogspot.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits
Go to Top of Page

Coolj
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  05:07:53 AM  Show Profile Send Coolj a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Recently, I've been using http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall09/FEATjssbo.php for a super stretchy bind-off, but I'm going to have to try Lucy's next.

I love Lucy's Toe-up Sock Chimney not just for socks, but for top-down hats. I generally cast on six or eight stitches, start increasing around, and thread the yarn through hat becomes the hat's first row. These I draw up and close off the top of the hat. Here's a link: http://www.lucyneatby.com/tbsoctoe.html

Juanita
Go to Top of Page

pmcgrath
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  05:52:32 AM  Show Profile Send pmcgrath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since I learned Lucy's knitted bind off this past spring, it is all I sue for binding off. It is easy, stretchy and adds a nice even knitted finish.
Go to Top of Page

Rho
Permanent Resident

1570 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  06:08:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rho's Homepage Send Rho a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just happen to be close to binding off a toe up sock can't wait to try this out. Thanks Minh.

rho#13;#10;#13;#10;If at first you DO succeed -- try something harder #13;#10;#13;#10;http://thisandthat-rho.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Rho
Permanent Resident

1570 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  06:10:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rho's Homepage Send Rho a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well shoot even on my iPad I get silly numbers popping up in my signature. Sorry about that.
Go to Top of Page

Knitcrazy
New Pal

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  06:46:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Knitcrazy's Homepage Send Knitcrazy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

This ssounds great!!! Its a bit different than what I was doing.. I am going to try it today on a neck of a sweater I am doing.
quote:
Originally posted by Shelia

I've used Lucy's awesome bind-off ever since I learned it about 8 years ago - it's so much faster than doing the conventional bind-off, and also is generally loose enough for everything I do (I'm not a tight knitter).

Shelia
www.letstalkstash.blogspot.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits

Go to Top of Page

mathiemom
Chatty Knitter

USA
242 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  11:12:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit mathiemom's Homepage Send mathiemom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recently learned how to do the "Norwegian Purl" from Beth Brown-Reinsel in one of her workshops. I believe that it only works for continental knitters, but its advantage is that you can then work both knit and purl stitches with the yarn in back, so that you don't have to keep switching the yarn from back to front to back. Unfortunately, I don't think that I could explain it here, especially not without an illustration . . . but I can show anyone who asks me in person. Or you can take Beth's class!

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  11:52:41 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rho, I thought I was seeing things! lol

Lella
Zippiknits
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  12:28:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't subscribed to a knitting mag in years. I buy them if I like the issue and pass if not.

But this is a find: subscription (4 issues) of Vogue Knitting for $14 and you get a $15 gift card for VK books bought online.

VK books is having a 40% off sale right now and you can use the gift card. When you sign up for the subscription they give you the gift card code right there in your confirmation.

Don't lose the link because if you go to the VK site & click on subscribe you will get the real $$$ and no gift card/code.

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

stephcat
Gabber Extraordinaire

510 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2010 :  10:00:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit stephcat's Homepage Send stephcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thank you for the code! I went ahead and got both a new sub & the new cascade book.

Steph

http://www.sunsetcat.com
StephCat on Ravelry!
http://aranknittingring.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

minh

USA
3458 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2010 :  4:14:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A new find for me today: Manos Del Uruguay has a new yarn called Serena, which is 60% baby alpaca and 40% pima cotton. It's amazingly soft, comes in solid and variegated colors, and has pretty good yardage (170 yards per 50g skein).

http://www.fairmountfibers.com/yarn/serena

The yarn tag has a little blurb reminding people that this is a non-profit organization and there's even a handwritten part listing where in Uruguay the yarn was dyed and the name of the artisan who dyed the yarn.
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2010 :  11:23:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stephcat, I placed my order Thursday night, 6/10, and my book arrived today via Media Mail. How is that even possible?

I bought the Nicky Epstein book, Crochet on the Edge, which I have previously borrowed from the library more than once.

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

stephcat
Gabber Extraordinaire

510 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2010 :  6:17:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit stephcat's Homepage Send stephcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wow! that is fast...I did get an email saying the order's been shipped, so hopefully mine will arrive soon.

Steph

http://www.sunsetcat.com
StephCat on Ravelry!
http://aranknittingring.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2661 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2010 :  6:24:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My best find this year came from NutmegOwl, who gave me a roll of highlighter tape. It is the best thing ever for working charts. Much better than a Post-It because you can make it as long as you need. And unlike a magnet marker, it is thus far uninteresting to toddlers. One piece can be stuck and restuck dozens of times, I just keep moving it around. I am an office supply maven but I had never seen the stuff before.

Luann

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

minh

USA
3458 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2012 :  7:10:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
New technique (well, probably not to all of you but at least to me): twisted stitches the easy way.

It's similar to cabling without a cable needle but a little trickier. Here's a video.

Now I am less intimidated by those bavarian socks in Knitty...

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2012 :  12:34:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a friend who bought a used knitting machine at a garage sale. It included the garter bars for a 4.5 mm bed. Wow, I've been hunting for one so I bought it from her! Just like Christmas, for me!

Now I'll be helping her get the machine, a Singer 700, in working order. The seller didn't tell her about the problem and she is not machine savy. The price was so low I knew there had to be a problem, besides the fact that the sponge bars would need replacement, which is a given.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1236 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2012 :  08:32:18 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Minh, thank you, I've been wanting to learn Bavarian twisted stitch knitting for about a year now. I just bookmarked your links. So, twisted stitch knitting is on my to-do list, but I'm currently knitting my first cabled scarf (Twist's Autobahn: it's driving me nuts. Not for beginners, I think.) and also trying a leeetle tiny bit of Fair Isle in some house socks I'm knitting for myself. Love love love learning new things. Even when it does drive me a little nuts.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  03:52:09 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not exactly something I found but something my daughter had and I saw it. They are called pebbles and they are great to hold the needles and bodkins that you use to sew up your knitting.
http://www.jjneedles.com/categories/JOHN-JAMES-PEBBLE-COLLECTION/Sewing-Needle-Pebble/

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

Chayah
Permanent Resident

1926 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2012 :  07:58:50 AM  Show Profile Send Chayah a Private Message  Reply with Quote
EZ. My son's sweetheart asked me to help her find Elizabeth Zimmerman books. When I did I realized that I really wanted to use them myself. I love her stories.

"Each breath really is a new beginning of the rest of our lives." Jon Kabat-Zinn
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2012 :  9:04:00 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gee, the "find" that came to my mind isn't something I can really share. I was running low on dishcloth cotton, so I was going to head to the store. Before I did, I checked through some bins, bags, and hidey holes, and I ended up with a full grocery bag of new balls, and a gallon zip-loc bag of leftover small balls. So my "find" was in my stash! I've got to knit (at least!) 50 before I can justify buying any more cotton.

Jan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.67 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.