Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 Interchangeable circular needles
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

iamknittycat
New Pal

34 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2010 :  11:41:25 AM  Show Profile Send iamknittycat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What do you use? I have Denise Interchangeable circular needles and am disappointed. Several have broken (where needle attaches), and altho the company kindly replaced for free, the problem I have is the needle connection space is not smooth - at all! Just does not fit as smoothly as I think it should. Want to buy another set - what advice do all you knitters have for me? Addi? I see KnitPicks have them too. Others?

suecq
Chatty Knitter

USA
205 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2010 :  1:20:37 PM  Show Profile Send suecq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IMHO you just can't beat Knitpicks Options. The price is good and the quality is as good or better than the others. Their pointy tips makes them tops in my book.
Go to Top of Page

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2010 :  3:10:41 PM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought KnitPicks Options and dislike them. Several tips have flaked and cords have separated from their metal parts. I also found the very pointy tips to be too pointy; I ended up with sore fingers (I'm a thrower/pusher) and a lot of split yarn. I also tried the Harmony tips and gave up after several of them split. As for the acrylic tips, the see-thru property of those drove me batty.

I use the Addi Clicks and love them. I'm waiting for the Addi Lace Clicks to become available (have them on pre-order).
Go to Top of Page

suecq
Chatty Knitter

USA
205 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2010 :  06:27:45 AM  Show Profile Send suecq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by maribelaprn

I bought KnitPicks Options and dislike them. Several tips have flaked and cords have separated from their metal parts. I also found the very pointy tips to be too pointy; I ended up with sore fingers (I'm a thrower/pusher) and a lot of split yarn. I also tried the Harmony tips and gave up after several of them split. As for the acrylic tips, the see-thru property of those drove me batty.

I use the Addi Clicks and love them. I'm waiting for the Addi Lace Clicks to become available (have them on pre-order).

I, on the other hand, find the Addis far too blunt. Even their lace tips are blunt for me. The lace tips also seem to have a funny odor. I have the 3 Knit Picks set and love them all. I love the fact that I can choose which tip to use depending on the yarn and pattern. I have had no problems with any of the tips and only one problem with a cord.

I have been using the KP since they first came out and knit just about everyday. I also am a thrower.

This is what is so great about knitters. We can use different tools and yarns and still respect each others choices and work.
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2010 :  2:04:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have both the Knit Picks (metal) and a very old set of Boye that I bought around 1978. I can still get parts for the Boye. I like the KP needles the best because of the flexability of the cables. KP has come out with a cable connector, like my Boye set has, and that is a plus. Also, the Boye cables do not kink up, so that makes them my 2nd choice for any cable needle. I have several brands of cable needles, in fact, I started intentionally increasing my knitting "parts" stash about 8 years ago and doubt there is much left to find that would be of further use to me. I have some self designed items that are home-made and not available, at all, on the market. I wouldn't give them up for anything.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!
Go to Top of Page

Panhandle Jane
Seriously Hooked

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  08:41:29 AM  Show Profile Send Panhandle Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also have the complete set of Knit Picks Options, plus a few Harmony tips in the sizes that I use most often. I have not yet tried the Zephyrs. I also have a number of KP classic circulars in sock sizes for magic loop. Occasionally I have a problem, but I can usually fix the problem with Gorilla Glue or call Knit Picks and get a replacement. Some of the needles, like the sock ones, really get a workout with the cables bent at rather sharp angles at times. I am not surprised that after a period of time, there is not some wear and tear breakage. For the price, that is ok with me.

I should add that I have no LYS, so customoer support by telephone or on line is very important to me.

Blog--http:\\www.panhandleknitandsew.blogspot.com
Ravelry--panhandlejane

Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  3:53:49 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What do you prefer to knit with? Metal? Bamboo? Plastic? Do you prefer pointy sharp? Blunt? Answer those questions, and you will greatly narrow your search.

I like my Denise set, size 7 and up. Smaller, and the cables are just too thick. They have a nice, pointy tip, and the ease of changing sizes is wonderful. I've yet to have any problems.

I have the Knitpicks Options. Had numerous breakages, and had two needle tips that would not fit onto the cables - the screw opening was too large. They always replaced them, but it was a hassle. I hate the tiny tool for changing the needles. It needs to have a handle that you can grasp. (I also would be less likely to lose the darn thing.)

The Webs bamboo set has nice smooth joins, but rather blunt (like Addi) tips. I'm not a real bamboo fan, but the set is really nice, compact, and portable.

I played with the Addi Clicks in the store, but since I have an extensive set of Addi's already, it would be a waste of money.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  4:21:01 PM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by suecq
This is what is so great about knitters. We can use different tools and yarns and still respect each others choices and work.

You bet! I also think a lot depends on what you're used to. I've been knitting over 50 years and am quite used to the more blunt tips, so I like 'em. I still use my old Aero needles from England that are Teflon coated (they're just like Prym sold here). They were a real "break thru" in neeedles 30 years ago!

My late DH used to say "that's why they make chocolate ice cream and vanilla ice cream" (OK, let's face it...chocolate is far superior) and that's true with everything. Newbie knitters have lots of choices and I think it's a good idea to try lots of different brands and types to find out what they like best. But, like most of us, there might be several different types that work "best", depending on the yarn and the design. I say buy 'em all!!!

Mari
Go to Top of Page

suecq
Chatty Knitter

USA
205 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2010 :  06:03:11 AM  Show Profile Send suecq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(My late DH used to say "that's why they make chocolate ice cream and vanilla ice cream" (OK, let's face it...chocolate is far superior)

Must agree on that, chocolate is far superior! I also have been knitting for over 50 years. We certainly didn't have the choices new knitters have today. And the yarns are just too yummy. Every time I tell myself I have enough yarn I find another that I just must have. I tell everyone that in addition to knitting and crocheting I collect. I collect yarn, patterns and needles. I've told both my sons they better marry someone who knits or they will be stuck with more yarn and needles than they can possibly find homes for.
Go to Top of Page

linda-gail
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2010 :  10:54:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit linda-gail's Homepage Send linda-gail a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought a set of the Harmony needles and several of the options plus, more recently, a few of the acrylic tips. I love the points (I do a lot of lace and cables, so that's important) but I am in the process of gathering all I have to return them. I got fed up with the cable coming undone while I am knitting (pulling out of the tips, not unscrewing). It happened several times and I have wasted quite a bit of time re-knitting due to that problem. The cost is great. The quality leaves something to be desired. I plan to return all of my KP needles (the interchangeable ones) and buy Addi lace turbos. I need my points.

Linda, knitting and spinning away in MD
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1742 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2010 :  4:13:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by maribelaprn

I'm waiting for the Addi Lace Clicks to become available (have them on pre-order).

Where did you pre-order? I've been looking around.

Ceil

Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1742 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2010 :  4:15:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iamknittycat

I have Denise Interchangeable circular needles and am disappointed. Several have broken (where needle attaches), ...

I have Denise and have no problems. I'm not crazy about the kinks in the cables from them sitting in the container, and while they knit just fine, there's something about the feel of plastic in my hands. I'm really talking Addis here.....

Ceil

Go to Top of Page

Mocha
Permanent Resident

Singapore
2903 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2010 :  02:41:42 AM  Show Profile Send Mocha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Love my Addi. I like it when my needles are smooth and have less drag. I used to like KP but since I have Addi, that's the first thing I reach to. If I do ever want to knit with slippery yarn or lash yarn, then perhaps I would have to change.
Go to Top of Page

noallatin
Chatty Knitter

280 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2010 :  07:42:34 AM  Show Profile Send noallatin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been knitting with HiyaHiyas. They are relatively new to the interchangeable needles business. The needles come in two sets 2-8 and 9-15 and tip lengths of either 4" or 5". They come with flexible non-kink cables to make 16", 24", 32" and 40" circs. The needles are in a nice case with a rubber grip to help tighten the needles. They are also lightweight.

I think the small size set is $67 and the large size about $10 more. Several online shops carry them. I'm using the size 9 for a project and I haven't had problems with the cable coming undone.
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Warming Up

54 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2010 :  6:38:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Evergreen's Homepage Send Evergreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have the Denise set and one of mine just broke at the point where it connects too. I've been wondering if there was a warranty and how I can access it.
Also, several times I have been knitting something with a lot of stitches and used the extensions, only to have them come apart in the middle of a row and lose all my stitches. Seems the weight of the yarn was too much for the connections. Beware of this!

I love the set because it is good for doing swatches, I have all the sizes right there, but for overall knitting, I think I like the plain wood ones best.
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2010 :  7:29:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recently bought one of the Hiya Hiya interchangeable sets (smaller sizes) after being pleased with some of the fixed circulars. I really love these; entire set is very small and unobtusive in a knitting bag. I do plan to order the set of larger sizes soon. Thus far, the joins have been smooth and stayed tight, and the cables are flexible enough to use for magic loop. I am learning to prefer the steel Hiya Hiya needles to the Addi turbos (and the KnitPicks nickel-plated) because the glare is not so bothersome to my eyes, as they don't have such a gleaming finish.

I also have the Denise set, which I like in the larger sizes (usually size 8 and above); IMO, the cord is too thick to work well with the smaller sizes in the set. BUT, even though the cord is thick, it is still soft enough to knit magic loop (I use this for hats), so don't be fooled by the thicker cord.

AND I have the KnitPicks options, one set of the acrylic plus a number of tips in all the other choices. When they don't make all the sizes available as fixed circulars, I don't see that they really offer "options." Although I find uses for all of them at times, there is little difference in the tapers/points, it seems to me.

Obviously, I collect interchangeable needle sets. I like to keep a set in each of several different knitting bags, each with a different project. Never know which one I'll have at my side when I may need another size needles.

I have many of the fixed Addi Turbos in all sizes, so I can't see myself buying that set at all.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time.
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5189 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2010 :  05:17:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Noallatin, you mentioned that the Hiya Hiya tips are 4" or 5"--do you mean that the smaller sizes are shorter and the larger sizes are longer? Short needle tips hurt my hands terribly, and I've actually given away small sizes of Hiya Hiya fixed circs because of hand pain problems. If they're offering longer needle tips, I may be interested in getting some. The Addi Click Lace tips are too short for me, which breaks my heart. I'd buy them in a heartbeat if they were longer.

See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.com/
Read my audiobook reviews: http://booksforears.com/
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Go to Top of Page

One Stitch at a Time
Chatty Knitter

294 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2010 :  07:37:39 AM  Show Profile Send One Stitch at a Time a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm noticing how many of you don't like shorter tip lengths as they hurt your hands. I have very small hands and prefer the shorter lengths. I also like sharper tips on needles. So if anyone would like to sell theirs, PM me and I'd be happy to consider purchasing them from you or making a contribution to Betty in your honor for them.

Thanks
Nanci
Go to Top of Page

NastiJ
Permanent Resident

1288 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  10:33:38 AM  Show Profile Send NastiJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by anderknit

I have a set of Denises and I flat out won't use them anymore - every time I do, the needle separates from the cord (any combo of needle size and/or cord length), and the frustration is not worth it.

try sending them back to Denise - last month I sent in a cable that kept coming undone, and they sent me back about 6 cables and a note saying that the one I had sent appeared to be from a batch produced several years ago that were fractionally off sized. They are excellent about customer service, and making things right for their users.

Nancy J.

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1742 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  3:41:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by anderknit

I really want a set of interchangeables! Actually, I have a set of Denises and I flat out won't use them anymore - every time I do, the needle separates from the cord (any combo of needle size and/or cord length), and the frustration is not worth it....I actually love Addi Naturas, so here's my question (finally!) - does anyone know if Addi is considering or developing Natura tips for their set?

I chat with a sales rep at Skacel every now and then, because I've wondered if the interchangeable Turbos might appear with shorter tips. Right now, they are still struggling to get the Lace interchangeables right. I have a funny feeling if I wrote and asked, they would say they are not considering anything similar for the Naturas. Fwiw.

Ceil

Go to Top of Page

stephcat
Gabber Extraordinaire

510 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  3:52:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit stephcat's Homepage Send stephcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I need to find a set that have the points of KP or Addi Lace, the flexible cable of the KP (addi lace blue is ok), the speed of addi turbo or KP Options.....but more reliability! I've recently had several tips & attachments separate from the cords with my KP Options.

So far I can't get it all in one needle, regardless of fixed or circular.....I'm tempted to try a Signature fixed but they're so darn expensive....and I really need US4 & smaller....

Steph

http://www.sunsetcat.com
StephCat on Ravelry!
http://aranknittingring.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000