Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Gifts Received?
 Knitting Gifts from Fran
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4387 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2010 :  6:16:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been looking through the KR Archives this evening, finding some of the gems of knitting wisdom that our dear friend Fran gave us. Here are just a couple that made me smile:

In a topic titled How Confident Are You?:
quote:
I will tackle anything.......why?

Because I know that I can learn anything if I put my mind to it.
Because I have a well worn path to the frog pond.
Because I am stubborn enough to try and try again.
Because my skills have increased at a steady pace.
Because I expect them to continue to do so.
Because I don't know how to give up.
Because if I am not brave enough to start, I'll never get anywhere.
Because I need that feeling of accomplishment when the job is over.
Because if I don't succeed, I just change my expectations.....LOL

Fran (3/24/02)

In reply to Anita's (achrisvet) question about the fascination with knitting socks:
quote:
ROFL--I too am not so fascinated with knitting socks even though I do it. I think it is because I am allergic to wool and most sockknitters rave about how comfortable a pair of wool socks are. It is also possible to knit the sock to fit the exact dimensions of your foot, but this is not such an advantage if you have a regular foot and fitting is not a problem. Let me take advantage of this opportunity to teach you rule #1 about knitting and that is:

There are no rules in knitting--do it your own way and if you are satisfied with the results, then that is the right way. Don't be influenced or intimidated by what others say, it is only their opinion and not a rule. Now decide for yourself if you want to listen to me or not.

Fran (6/28/02)

We're so fortunate to have known Fran, and to have been the recipients of her wise humor and humorous wisdom. And I know that many of us might not have become the rule-bending knitters we are, without her. I know I wouldn't be a sock knitter if not for her encouragement.

What did Fran teach you?

Jane

Betty needs a warm hat: Support KR
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3460 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2010 :  6:45:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fran's ten minute rule helps me and will help me in my knitting and other areas of life. Something simple but very powerful: work on something little by little and it will get done!

Fran was always an advocate for inexpensive and good non-wool yarns. These are great yarns not to be dismissed, whether they're used for children's clothes and other projects.
Go to Top of Page

Cheerleader9
Permanent Resident

USA
1563 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2010 :  8:08:11 PM  Show Profile Send Cheerleader9 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What a lovely tribute dear Jane. I've been so sad since Carol wrote that first note. Our dear Fran taught us so very much. I always knew that any knitting problem would be solved by Fran. She taught me to laugh about mistakes. When I made my first patterned socks I was into the second sock when I realized that the first/finished one was really wrong. With that discovery I just made the second one wrong as well:-) Fitted beautifully and it made me happy.

So, in regard to one of many things Fran taught me is the posted one you mentioned:

There are no rules in knitting--do it your own way and if you are satisfied with the results, then that is the right way. Don't be influenced or intimidated by what others say, it is only their opinion and not a rule. Now decide for yourself if you want to listen to me or not.

I always listened. R.I.P dear Fran.

Barb in AZ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cheerleader9
http://www.ravelry.com/people/Cheerleader9
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1802 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2010 :  8:15:20 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jane, thank yu for this topic. We have been blessed.

Anna
Go to Top of Page

SandySG
New Pal

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2010 :  02:31:59 AM  Show Profile Send SandySG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fran always had a good answer, posted with humor and good common sense. I enjoyed her blog and visited regularly; there I found a
Lady who knit a family with love - what an awesome heritage! Fran
will not be forgotten, she will be sorely missed.

Sandy
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5190 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2010 :  05:13:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jane, that first post was one of the first things I read on the KR forums, and I think it changed me forever as a knitter. I'd been knitting for a few years when I came across this site, but it wasn't grabbing be because I hadn't done anything challenging or interesting yet. Reading those words of Fran's reminded me that that philosophy is how I've always lived my everyday life, and that it was silly not to apply the same determination and adventurousness to something as safe and simple as knitting. Thank you for finding it and reposting it, Jane.

I also gained a great deal of insight into shaping from Fran. In post after post, she talked knitters through using short-rows to make a sweater fit just so over shoulders, breasts, hips, or wherever else a knitter might not exactly match the shape designated by a written knitting pattern. I loved her matter of fact declarations that we all deserved fully-fashioned knitted garments that fit well no matter how we're shaped, and that we could give ourselves and our loved ones such items as gifts as often as we wanted. I grew up sewing my own clothes and had never hesitated to alter sewn items to fit, but having that little push to look into fitting knitwear really opened my eyes and helped me see beyond written patterns.

See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.com/
Read my audiobook reviews: http://booksforears.com/
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Go to Top of Page

dothead
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
540 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2010 :  05:45:17 AM  Show Profile Send dothead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fran's 10 minute rule has helped me finish so many projects. I think of her every time I apply that rule to either knitting or non-knitting projects.

Vicki, the Constant Lurker(who sometimes stops lurking and actually posts)
Go to Top of Page

HRH the Knitting Queen
Chatty Knitter

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2010 :  05:53:29 AM  Show Profile Send HRH the Knitting Queen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I, too, am a member of the 10 minute rule club. It has helped me with all areas of my life.

www.merrykarma.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

norameg
Warming Up

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2010 :  06:34:42 AM  Show Profile Send norameg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fran always answered my question with kindness. She was kind and answered simply. I could not grasp 2 socks on 1 circular and she just would keep on helping. I will miss her
Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2010 :  06:52:23 AM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've not been in the KR forums much the last couple years, but reading of Fran's death in the newsletter hit me like a ton of bricks. Fran was one of the people who gave me great advice when I was a new knitter. She showed me that mistakes were correctable, especially in yarn. She encouraged me to try new things and not to listen to those who said such-and-such was beyond my skill set - do it anyway. Whenever I've gotten stuck on a project, I've centered my mind on Fran and pushed through, often with great success.

God rest you, Fran. May you spend eternity happily knitting with the best fibers on the best needles. You will be greatly missed!

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4387 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2010 :  06:55:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's another one that applies to knitting and life:
quote:
If you have never made a mistake, you haven't been knitting long enough. (7/6/02)
Fran always got right to the point, didn't she?

Jane

Betty needs a warm hat: Support KR
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

technikat
Gabber Extraordinaire

595 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2010 :  07:01:24 AM  Show Profile Send technikat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fran was an inspiration to me, in knitting, and with her great loving heart.

My FOs
http://www.flickr.com/photos/technikat/
Go to Top of Page

carolbeech
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2010 :  07:30:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit carolbeech's Homepage Send carolbeech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember posting about not being able to get things done, either because I was working a lot or because my hands hurt and Fran saying - "even if you only do a few rows a day, you will finish it". This also applies to writing dissertations!

www.carolbeech.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Frans Niece
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2010 :  07:40:46 AM  Show Profile Send Frans Niece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My Aunt Fran was a beautiful person and has more overflowing love then you could ever imagine. I wanted to share this email that she sent me regarding my first knitting assignment from her, pay close attention to the end of the email.

Chandra,

As an Aunt, it is your job to knit something for the little one. Here is your assignment. I designed these patterns for the knitter who only knew one stitch.

--Get some worsted weight yarn and knitting needles any size from 6 to 8.
--Go to www.knittinghelp.com and learn how to do a long tailed cast on. If that seems too hard to you, try the knitted on or cable cast on.
--Cast on 5 to 8 inches of stitches. This will be between 20 and 32 on the average.
--Now knit every row until unstretched length of bootie is 2 inches, measure from the top of your needle with the stitches on it to the cast on row.
--Measure off the center 4 inches of stitches and see how many you have left over on each end.
--Bind off these extra stitches, one half at the beginning of next row and one half when you start the row after that. Bind off means to knit one stitch, move it back to your left hand needle, and then knit two stitches together.
--Continue knitting until total unstretched length is 3 1/2 inches
--Now shape a toe this way. knit 2 together, then 2 more , then 2 more all the way across the next row.
--Knit 1 row
--Now knit 2 together across next row just like you did on the row above.
--Cut yarn leaving a 12 to 18 inch tail for sewing.
--Thread yarn through stitches and tie off tightly, sew seam up to edge of cuff and finish off. Gather center back 1/3 of stitches and tie off. Sew cast on edges together using your favorite seam.
--Pass yarn or narrow ribbon under garter "bumps" at level of cuff and use to tie on booties. Turn cuff up or down as desired.

Now do it all again as the kid will probably have 2 feet.

There are directions and photos on my blog of how to sew them up.

When you are finished, let me knot and I will send you directions for little hand mitts so the newborn can't scratch the little newborn face.

I also have directions for a hat using only one stitch and even a little baby sweater.

You can't escape. You are going to be a knitter. We share the same blood, the women of our family ARE knitters. If you don't believe me, ask your Mother.

Love,
Aunt Fran

Go to Top of Page

JannyW
New Pal

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2010 :  08:03:31 AM  Show Profile Send JannyW a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't visit this forum often as I used to, but I always loved Fran's comments and input. She will definitely be missed.

~~ Jan in SC ~~

~~Jan~~

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
-- John Lennon
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5190 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2010 :  09:56:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chandra, thank you for sharing your Aunt Fran's wonderful email! I hope it did stick, and I hope you love knitting even half as much as Fran did.

See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.com/
Read my audiobook reviews: http://booksforears.com/
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Go to Top of Page

queen of the east
Seriously Hooked

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2010 :  12:40:47 PM  Show Profile Send queen of the east a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fran offered so much wisdom and wit here at KR. The 10 minute rule is one of the best bits of advice I have ever been offered, it can be applied to any facet of life not only knitting. The beauty of the 10 minute rule is that when ever I apply it I always think of Fran.
I wonder if our guardian angel has handknit lace wings?

Ann in Montreal
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2010 :  5:18:10 PM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In addition to her vast knowledge of knitting and her willingness to give so much of herself on line, what I will remember about Fran is the way she lived her life.

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
Go to Top of Page

sparkleplenty
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
484 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2010 :  10:19:11 PM  Show Profile Send sparkleplenty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fran was amazing. She not only offered sound knitting advice, but advice on personal matters too. I will miss her kind spirit.

sparkleplenty
Ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/people/sparkleplenty
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sparkle-plenty/

-------------------
If I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning.
~Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2010 :  07:23:31 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The ten minute rules sure works for me. This is a finishing yr and I am applying it faithfully, but I loved hearing about her kids and grands.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Jeanine
Chatty Knitter

248 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2010 :  07:26:28 AM  Show Profile Send Jeanine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Almost seven years ago I wrote to Fran about her baby sweater and she sent me the pattern, explaining how to make more or less the same thing for any age. I've made it for every niece and nephew since then. Thank you, Fran.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.64 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?