Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Gadgets
 Favorite stitch markers & row counters
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mertle
Permanent Resident

USA
1732 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2010 :  12:37:00 PM  Show Profile Send mertle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Goody Ouchless mini elastics are my favorite stitch markers. A pack of 50 costs less than $3 at Target, WalMart, etc. I’ve used them on needles ranging from size US4 to US17. They might work with smaller needles, but I just haven’t tried it.

They’re much more comfortable than the rigid green and orange markers I used before. They’re not so slick, so they behave better, too, not flipping off the needle so much and flying across the room!

Mine live on stitch holders when not in use. I love all the colors. (No, I never use the stitch holders. That’s what scrap yarn is for, IMO.)

But wait, that’s not all … as the infomercials say! These little rings are definitely multi-taskers.

I make my row counters with them, too. The blue ring is row 1. Just loop them together to make a counter as long as you like. (I loosened the one on the left to show you how they go together. Maybe someone here knows what that kind of loop is called.)

I often color code my counters, too. For instance, here’s the trinity stitch hat I’m working on. I can pick up my knitting at any time and know what I should be doing on that row. Yellow is row 1 (a pattern row), blues are knit rows, and purple is a pattern row. (The purple one to the right by itself marks the middle of my row.)

And there’s more …

When I’m knitting with straights, I code one needle with an elastic. I cast on onto this needle, and know that when that needle is in my left hand, I’m looking at the right side of my knitting.

They’re also good for holding together sets of DPNs or even putting on the end of a dpn for a little security when you want to use it as a straight. Click here to see.

Last week I had a very long cast on tail so I could use it to sew up the back of the slipper I was making. It was very annoying until I tied it up in a “ponytail” with one of my elastics.

Great price, comfort, and versatility … hard to beat!

Marilyn
My Bags

Cheerleader9
Permanent Resident

USA
1563 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2010 :  3:54:16 PM  Show Profile Send Cheerleader9 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great idea Marilyn! I'm always buying those things for the granddaughters so will keep them handy for me.

PS welcome back. You've been in my thoughts and prayers.
Hugs

Barb in AZ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cheerleader9
http://www.ravelry.com/people/Cheerleader9
Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1681 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2010 :  2:02:15 PM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a neat idea. What I like, depends on what I'm doing... I like the round Susan Bates markers, but they tend to break, so I have made some of my own with seed beads, using jewelry glue to seal the knot. I also like the Clover markers that are like little safety pins. I like to use them for marking button placement too.
judy
Go to Top of Page

Jardinier
Chatty Knitter

USA
216 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2010 :  4:11:12 PM  Show Profile Send Jardinier a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Marilyn great idea - think I will have to get some of the mini elastics & try them out. One good thing I can think of is that they wouldn't snag the yarn. I always use stitch markers when I am working on a lace project.

~Priscilla~

Every skilled woman spun with her hands & brought what she had spun - blue, purple or scarlet yarn or fine linen. And all the women who were willing & had the skill spun goat hair.....Exodus 35:25 - 26
Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2010 :  09:15:13 AM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Marilyn,

Thanks for the great idea and for all the pics too ......I really like the idea of the loops to designate which increase or decrease is needed. I will have to look for these on my next trip to Walmart or Target.

Knit On, Patience

Crochet Me A River

Faith, Hope, Charity & Yarn Snippets

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by