Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Gadgets
 Blocking wires
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3935 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2010 :  4:30:05 PM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to get some but wonder if any of you have advice before I purchase.

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4152 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2010 :  4:34:22 PM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad I got them, they make blocking lace much easier. I bought ones from Knitpicks and I've only used them twice but like them a lot (except I was looking for them the other day and have no idea where they are...they come in a long tube so it shouldn't be that hard to find them).

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2584 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2010 :  9:35:59 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Donna - Not much advice but just encouragement. They make blocking lace so very much easier. I live in NoVA and ordered mine from a shop near Baltimore or Ellicott City a few years back. Excellent service. Just makes sure to wipe the wires down with a rag before you use them. There's some sort of "stuff" on them that is used in the manufacturing process, and you want that off before putting your delicate lace on them.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4368 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  03:05:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got mine from Patternworks a few years ago, and they really are a good investment. Wiping them down is a good idea. Make sure you have a lot of sturdy T-pins, too, because the little ones just won't cut it.

Jane

Betty deserves a nice birthday present: Make a Donation
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3935 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  1:50:56 PM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks! I have a specific question - some sets have a combination of rigid and flexible wires. Should I get the combination or just rigid? (Jane - I have the big heavy t-pins already.)

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.
Go to Top of Page

auntlinda
Chatty Knitter

USA
187 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  4:12:14 PM  Show Profile Send auntlinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
re: straight v. flexible

I use my straight ones almost exclusively, but that's b/c I tend to do lace projects with straight edges. If you do circular shawls for example, you're going to want the flexible ones too.

~Linda
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2655 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  5:02:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have the Zonta (now Handworks Dressing Wires) set and I love them. It's like magic every time I use them, watching a shapeless mass suddenly come to life! If you buy from Handworks she makes a donation to the Susan G. Komen Foundation for every set sold.

Luann

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3935 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  5:31:14 PM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, Luann, that is a huge, great set. Here's the link if anyone else is interested. http://www.handworksnw.com/dressingwires.html

Donna in VA

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe