Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Gadgets
 Stitch Markers - what we have vs. what we use
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2010 :  09:24:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mertle's post got me thinking about stitch markers. Also, I was doing some housecleaning and came upon a stash of stitch markers I didn't know I had and, quite clearly, wasn't missing.

I suspect many of us have a lovely collection of stitch markers. But they aren't always where we are at the moment we need a stitch marker. Forcing us to improvise.

So, when not using the beautiful stitch markers that you purchased expressly for this occasion, what are you actually using for stitch markers?

I've used twist-ties, leftover Christmas wrapping ribbon, dental floss (un-used, thank you very much), an un-darned tail that just happened to be hanging out of something else I was wearing at the time, rubber bands (although they tend to cling too much), paper clips...

What about you?

And for those times when we do use our stitch markers, what are your very favorites? Do you like the fancy beaded contraptions? Do you make your own?

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher

prixby
Chatty Knitter

USA
156 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2010 :  10:44:37 AM  Show Profile Send prixby a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I confess I've never used a stitch marker. I just keep a tally of my rows to stay in pattern, and count my stitches anew each time I need to. :: hangs head in shame ::

Life is what happens while we're listening to music.
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2673 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2010 :  10:49:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a lot of lovely ones - sterling silver with and without beads, rubber rings in fun colors, the little plastic clip-on type, etc. And like Clara I have often grabbed whatever was handy to make do. I have tried to stash a package of them in every bag and knitting spot recently so that I'm using something nice that makes me smile instead of a rubber band, safety pin, or cut-up drinking straw. But knitting emergencies do happen!

Luann

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1688 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2010 :  11:17:22 AM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got to say, I'm not crazy about the fancy beaded stitch markers. I dont care for the way the beads hang and get in the way. I mostly use markers that I have made from seed beads (round) or the commercial little rings and locking markers. Although scraps of yarn, elastics, safety pins have also come into play too.
judy
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4166 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2010 :  12:46:56 PM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My go-to stitch marketers are the little rubber ones...not the harder plastic ones...just a circle.
I have little packets of them at my key knitting places...next to my sofa in the TV room, in the coffee table drawer, and in my knitting bag.
I have lovely beaded ones too, which I also like. I have these divided into three little bags so if I want a pretty one (which I use on socks sometimes), I have them close at reach at my knitting sites.
This makes me sound so much more organized and anal than I really am, believe me. I think in a way the stitch marketers just ended up where I was sitting because I cast off something and had all the stitch markers left over. And a little bag is preferable to taking the sofa cushions off on a regular basis and digging the stitch markers out..

Wow, TMI on this post!

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

2totangle
Permanent Resident

1212 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2010 :  12:56:58 PM  Show Profile Send 2totangle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Purely utilitarian: I use the pink & blue hard plastic rings, big & small. Not beautiful, but they work just fine and don't scratch my needles or snag my fabric. Plus, I don't care so much when one leaps away and makes an escape into a dark and dusty corner.

Suzanne

Flickr pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2totangle/
Ravelry project page: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/2totangle
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4390 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2010 :  1:04:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I poked around in the dish and box I keep my stitch markers in, and the ones I use most often are in this picture. The little silver ones get the most use, and they fit up to about a US3 needle (they're jump rings from the bead store). I love my big aluminum ones, which came from the KR Boutique back in the olden days. I'd love to find more, if anyone has a source!

I like to keep them stashed wherever I knit, too. I've used lots of other things in a pinch, but I'd rather have them handy.

Jane

Betty deserves a nice birthday present: Make a Donation
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3464 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2010 :  3:59:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jane, do you mean the sterling silver stitchmarkers from "Big Yarn" that the KR boutique used to have?
http://denysespecktor.com/tby_products.html#stitchmarkers

Those are my favorite stitch markers! I bought one box from the KR boutique and another box from a store in Birmingham, MI but haven't seen them again since then. They're so light and so pretty. I second the plea for a source!!
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4390 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2010 :  6:02:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love those, Minh, but before those, there were colorful aluminum rings that store on little aluminum pins. They're in the corner of the photo.

Jane

Betty deserves a nice birthday present: Make a Donation
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1753 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2010 :  6:36:47 PM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a little zip lock plastic bag with lots of different colors of stitch markers - each about 3-5" of yarn or crochet thread that I've tied into a circle. I don't use anything else. These work great and I never run out.

See My Stuff: Here

Go to Top of Page

CdnRissa
New Pal

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2010 :  9:55:10 PM  Show Profile Send CdnRissa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's funny. I have purchased all kinds of stitch markers based on raves from numerous people, but I find that I always go back to my tried and true. Years ago I bought a ball of heavy crochet cotton in a bright, flaming pink (don't ask why, I have NO idea!). I use this crochet cotton for lifelines, stitch markers, waste yarn for cast ons, you name it. For the stitch markers I cut off 2.5 to 3 inches, fold it in half and tie a knot in the end. They work great! They're bright enough that they don't get lost in whatever I'm knitting (don't knit pink things) and I can easily adjust for whatever size needles I happen to be using. And I never run out of markers!

I also have some white cotton yarn I use when I need more than 1 colour marker.

The only downside is that occasionally I knit the marker if I'm too distracted.

Cheers, Rissa
Go to Top of Page

cindylynnf
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  02:41:13 AM  Show Profile Send cindylynnf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use jump rings (or squares) from jewelery making. They're cheap, cheap, cheap! And I use scaps of yarn (different color than what I'm working on).
Go to Top of Page

pjkite
Permanent Resident

1198 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  04:30:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit pjkite's Homepage  Send pjkite a Yahoo! Message Send pjkite a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few months back I actually got to the annoyed point with myself regarding my knitting organization. So I splurged and bought some small containers that travel with me in my knitting bags. In those small (2.5x3 inch) containers reside my stitch markers (usually the pink and green safety-pin ones, although I have several other types including some lovely beaded ones) and a few other small tools - fold-up scissors, yarn needle, crochet hook (cut off short) and measuring tape, for example. As I've run across "stray" markers, etc., I've transferred them to the 3 containers. Now when I need markers for a specific project, I go to my main Nantucket bag, grab one of those containers, and am good to go! Sounds a bit OCD of me, perhaps, but I had gotten so tired of having to put down my current project, go to my studio and other knitting spots, and root around for markers or a tape measure that I just HAD to do something! And my knitting has suffered from far fewer interruptions since...

Pamela Kite
East Tennessee
http://fiberlife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

fiddleknit
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  05:13:54 AM  Show Profile Send fiddleknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have an assortment of stitch markers. I like the rubber rings but also use the plastic safety pin kind, which is great for marking the end of a round when knitting socks. I have made an interesting assortment of beaded markers, which has been great fun. I stop in at bead stores periodically and usually find a few beads to use for this. I keep them in a small silk drawstring bag. Of course I sometimes forget them. Once I was at an all day event and needed six markers or I would not have been able to knit at all. After a frantic search for something to use, I resorted to tearing off squares of plastic wrapping from a case of bottled water, poking holes in them, and using them as markers. It looked pretty silly but worked.
Go to Top of Page

crc532
New Pal

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  05:21:55 AM  Show Profile Send crc532 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use stitch markers quite a bit. I use the size that is closest to my needle size while still being able to slide them. I find they really decrease my counting of stitches. I often use them when I am casting on a lot of stitches. I place them every ten stitches and then I only have to count the stitch markers.

I have recently realized the usefulness of split ring stitch markers. I had to remove a stitch marker recently and had to transfer my stitches to my other needle to get the little closed stitch markers off. I wouldn't have had to do that if I had been using the split ring. I could have just taken that one off and moved it. Oh well, I learn something new about knitting whenever I knit!

crc
Go to Top of Page

Collier
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  05:48:30 AM  Show Profile Send Collier a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought a little bag of gold rings from Knit Picks about three years ago for $1.99 and I've used them ever since, mainly on projects with needles sized 1-8 or 9. (they work well on sock projects)For projects on larger needles I use the plastic rings or a more fancy markers with beads that I've received as gifts. And yes, there usually are little gold rings around the house now and then. I string some markers up on one of my larger stitch holders too and everything is kept in an extra Clinique make up bag.

Claudia
Go to Top of Page

memery51
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  06:45:48 AM  Show Profile Send memery51 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bobby pins! Work great as markers on little needles, and I've used them as stitch holders when doing a cable on a sock.

Mary
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  06:46:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 2totangle

Purely utilitarian: I use the pink & blue hard plastic rings, big & small. Not beautiful, but they work just fine and don't scratch my needles or snag my fabric. Plus, I don't care so much when one leaps away and makes an escape into a dark and dusty corner.

Suzanne

Flickr pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2totangle/
Ravelry project page: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/2totangle

I'm with you, Suzanne! I'm not fond of stitch markers in general, so when I have to use them (usually for shawl patterns), I prefer small 'o' rings (rubber or plastic) that don't dangle, catch or otherwise fall off (i.e. no splits in them, please!). I generally keep them in a small zip-lock bag that I carry with my other knitting paraphernalia.

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

JillN
Warming Up

62 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  06:51:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit JillN's Homepage Send JillN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to admit I'm also a bit OCD when it comes to knitting organization (just ask me at this years KRR to see my needle organizer!! This link is to someone else's page that shows this organizer, I don't have any pictures of mine yet. Here's another picture from a Ravelry Thread.

So this is what I do/use to help keep the stitch holders (and other knitting supplies) organized.

I have a couple of these.

Also have several of these: Folca boxes - be sure to look at the picture of this box opened up - it's a 3 layer box!

I keep things together in one of these project pouches from KnitPicks - I have several of the Tool Pouch size, to put my Folca box into, plus the KP Needle Sizer (GREATEST needle sizer I've ever found!!).

I also just bought a Small size of these clear pouches, as I've found that adding the Folca box to the Tool Pouch takes up a lot of space, and I still need space for other things, like stitch counters, calculator, small notepad/pencil, etc. So I'll put the Tool Pouch into this Small Pouch, and keep all of my knitting supplies together in one place!
Go to Top of Page

rchapin_38@netzero.com
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  06:56:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit rchapin_38@netzero.com's Homepage Send rchapin_38@netzero.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to admit that I have a collection of nice markers---little and big colored plastic rings, cute sheep, etc. etc.; but I usually use paper clips, and my favorite are the little elastic rings that we use to castrate lambs! Yes--but new ones of course!!. They are just the right size for needles smaller then size 9, don't slip off and are really cheap.

Sharon L Bone
Go to Top of Page

Mirl56
Chatty Knitter

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  07:35:51 AM  Show Profile Send Mirl56 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use stitch markers all the time. I do have a few beaded ones, but in general I'm not fond of hanging beads getting in the way, and often they are noticibly heavy.

My favorites to use are the soft rubbery ones (one package comes in green & purple, I forget who makes them). I also like the plastic safety pin style, I use these most often for marking the beginning of a round and/or for linking them together to mark what row I'm on.

Home made ones I use most often are cut up drinking straws. The straws from McDonalds are nice and big and will easily fit up to size 9 or even 10 needles.

Once at the grocery store I saw a package of novelty straws that were 18 inches long - all I could think was how many SM's one of those babies would make.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.6 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?