Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Gadgets
 Stitch Markers - what we have vs. what we use
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

OPKnitter
New Pal

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  07:45:39 AM  Show Profile Send OPKnitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use my stitch markers - a lot. I wouldn't consider doing lace or a complex repeating pattern without them. But I like them simple. There are a couple of nice little beaded ones (no dangles, nothing cutesy) that came with Miss Babs yarn, otherwise we're talking basic plastic in several sizes, both full circle loops & safety pin shapes. Don't care much for yarn loops - too floppy - or the open-ended plastic circular ones - the point always ends up poking into my hand.

There's always a tiny 1" square box of mixed size markers in my small carry-along project bag, which goes everywhere with me. I keep the markers in a small zippered coin purse along with a cable needle, thread cutter, pair of darning needles, needle threader, & a couple of other handy implements. The coin purse is hooked to the bag's handles with a measuring tape key ring. There's also a small climber's rope bracelet attached to another handle with a row counter & a couple of larger size plastic or rubber ring markers.

I've also been known to just slip several markers onto a stitch holder & drop them into a tote with whatever larger project is on the needles. Sure some have gotten lost over the years, but that's the beauty of inexpensive plastic.
Go to Top of Page

kaykatrn@yahoo.com
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  07:52:31 AM  Show Profile Send kaykatrn@yahoo.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have 4 boxes of the old Boye markers--they are more than a circle, so it is possible to move the marker over the yarn. I bought them on clearance, for fear I would run out someday!! I also have a package of rubber rings. They don't fling themselves across the room like hard plastic ones do, but sometimes they stick to the needle a little too much. And when I run out, I pull the couch out from the wall and dust the floor. I always find at least 6!! I do have several fancy markers- the kind with dangles. I save those for marking the section of lace where the repeats end, so I don't just keep going with the wrong pattern!!javascript:insertsmilie('')
Go to Top of Page

schieve
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  08:00:12 AM  Show Profile Send schieve a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use the rubber rings or the clip on plastic type. My favorites are the colored rings that you get from the electric toothbrush replacement heads. They are colorful, the perfect size and I get 4 of the in every toothbrush head that I buy so supply is not a problem.
Go to Top of Page

GinRose
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  08:00:28 AM  Show Profile Send GinRose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with 2totangle. Though I have lots of beaded ones (I make those for gifts) my favorites are the simple ones that don't dangle and get caught in the yarn. I still have thin plastic ones that are at least 20 years old, but I find myself grabbing jump rings from my jewelry supplies. They come in several sizes and are cheap, cheap - like a couple of bucks for 100 or so. You can get them at craft stores on the jewelry supply aisle.

As for things to carry all these little things in, I use a fishing tackle box that's maybe 4" x 6" with dividers. The original purpose is probably to hold lures, hooks, weights, or swivel thingies, but they're perfect for little knitting supplies too.
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  08:10:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You guys are so ingenious! The rings from the electric toothbrush replacement heads, and cutting up STRAWS - absolutely brilliant. I'll never look at straws the same way again.

I also love hearing from the organized, self-confessed OCD folks in the group. You give me hope for an orderly future.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Warming Up

54 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  08:24:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Evergreen's Homepage Send Evergreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the plastic ones that look like miniature diaper pins. I've made beaded ones but they stick, pretty but not useful. I also use the white plastic rings.

Sometimes I use the pin ones to mark a measurement on a long project. LIke when you need to knit 68" of ribbing, I measure it in 30" sections and mark it so I don't have to keep measuring. But beware, my measurements seem to change now and then, go figure.
Go to Top of Page

NutmegOwl
Gabber Extraordinaire

581 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  08:58:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit NutmegOwl's Homepage Send NutmegOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum from all of you thrifty friends. I knit fast, and I knit a LOT of lace. My gift to myself is that I work with what I love - yarn or supplies.

I don't like markers to interfere with my knitting, but I do use them all the time. You will almost always find Goose Pond Knitting Needle Jewels (sterling circle with very small bead) or the lace markers from Blue Ridge Notions on etsy. At the same time, every WIP has a couple of the Clover orange and green safety-pin style markers pinned onto it. They help me when I need to count, mark a measurement or anything else.

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Alamedakid
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  10:08:44 AM  Show Profile Send Alamedakid a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use stitch markers all the time. I prefer the small rubber ones and I place them 1 every 10 stitches unless I'm doing a lace pattern in which case I place them at the pattern repeat. That way if I ever drop a stitch or now & then accidentally add a stitch I know where my mistake is. sometimes I use heart shaped markers to distinguish a special place in the pattern.
Go to Top of Page

akmtngrl
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  11:19:32 AM  Show Profile Send akmtngrl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A pretty beaded one marks the end of my circular rows. Thin plastic circles mark any other needed places. That said, I often use safety pins, and I've been known to use little bits of yarn, though I tend to knit them in because I'm not watching. The best (worst?) ever were square bits of some felted building material, with slits in the center, made for me by a man who was watching my desperation at not having any markers for some complicated pattern.

Gail in Fairbanks
Go to Top of Page

mrssuem
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
457 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  1:03:47 PM  Show Profile Send mrssuem a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I only started using regular stitch markers, hard plastic type, a few years ago. Before that it was just a contrasting color of yarn on whatever I was making. Actually at times I find the markers more of a pain than just having that extra loop of yarn. That's just me though, simple and old Yankee in me too.
Sue
Go to Top of Page

meridiana@verizon.net
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  1:53:50 PM  Show Profile Send meridiana@verizon.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, here's my confession: When working with large needles (I'm using size 15 needles at the moment), if I can't find a large stitch marker in my stash, I just use the pull-ring from my half-and-half container when it's new. You know those plastic plugs you have to pull off, under the screw-on cover? I just grab my kitchen scissors and cut the plug part off of the pull-ring, and voila...a perfect large, flexible, bright white stitch holder, for free.
Go to Top of Page

njzube@aol.com
New Pal

25 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  4:58:08 PM  Show Profile Send njzube@aol.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just use a piece of thread of contrasting color, and weave it from row to row until the pattern is established, and then I can easily pull it out and discard it. I've tried stitch markers, and they are always in the way. Jeanne
Go to Top of Page

janutah
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  5:22:27 PM  Show Profile Send janutah a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WOW! I guess I'm odd woman out here. I LOVE knitting jewelry. It makes me happy to have pretty stitch markers -- sheep, bunnies, llamas, alpacas, paw prints, and pretty beads. The plastic markers just look cheap and don't do justice to the yarn and pattern that I have carefully selected and paid a lot of money for.

I keep them in altoids boxes. If I'm somewhere and have to substitute, it's temporary until I get home and can properly adorn my knitting with jewelry fitting its status. I usually have a few plastic markers in my bag because I don't care if I give them away or they fall out of my bag.

No crappy rubberbands, straws or bits of string for my creations. But. . . to each her own.
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  5:47:23 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a sucker for pretty markers, and have been known to splurge on some that are definitely knitting jewelry. I've loved some, hated some, and have a few favorites I go back to. I like the simple, soft, plastic rings that the LYS sells. The rigid ones tend to fly across the room like airbourne Tiddly Winks. The split, or open, rings are nice that you can actually slip onto a stitch...they have their place, but I've had them come off, so rarely use them. If I need to mark a stitch, I use safety pins - coilless, plastic or metal. Etsy has loads of beautiful markers, but some are heavy, or catch the yarn. I've got tiger's eye markers, turquoise, faceted stones, numbered markers, even some made from old Barbie shoes. (They snag the yarn, but they're cute!) I really need to get organized and get them in one place, so I could find them when needed, and not have to resort to loops of yarn!

Jan
Go to Top of Page

Amarula
Chatty Knitter

215 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  6:50:58 PM  Show Profile Send Amarula a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with you, Janutah! I love my stitch marker collection - all different sizes and shapes. I buy them on Etsy, at Rhinebeck, at yarn stores everywhere I go..
Go to Top of Page

mwenskay@hotmail.com
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  8:39:00 PM  Show Profile Send mwenskay@hotmail.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wear two thin gold bands on my right hand. I use one when I knit in the round and it motivates me to finish the project in a timely manner and get my ring back in place on my finger. When I knit a shawl I use plastic rings in neon colors that slide well. I keep them in a small see through box.
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  03:42:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used to use only little circles of yarn from the scrap bag for stitch markers but now I also use pretty silver jump rings I found in the bead shop. They're light and come in several sizes and I like the idea of having a fine metal like silver on my needles.

I have beautiful beaded stitch markers but seldom use them because they're heavy. I have worn some as earings though

Bess
http://likethequeen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5192 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  06:25:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use those little black rubber stitch markers if I need to use a number of them in a project, like in a lace shawl. If I'm working in the round and need to make different points, like the start of a round and sleeves, I'm more like to use the dangly ones I made.

See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.com/
Read my audiobook reviews: http://booksforears.com/
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Go to Top of Page

kare
New Pal

18 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  11:05:20 AM  Show Profile Send kare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can see that I will have to get more organized with my stitch markers...so many great ideas here! Also will be trying new ones I might come across in the yarn shops I visit. Some of the emergency or homemade ones sound great too. I can see that I will never have too many of them!!
Go to Top of Page

Jardinier
Chatty Knitter

USA
216 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  11:56:20 AM  Show Profile Send Jardinier a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have purchased a lot of stitch markers some are beautiful dangle jeweled ones but they seem to get in the way. My favorites & the ones I use the most are some small snag free ones I found on Etsy. I always use stitch markers when I am doing lace - they just make life simpler.

~Priscilla~

Every skilled woman spun with her hands & brought what she had spun - blue, purple or scarlet yarn or fine linen. And all the women who were willing & had the skill spun goat hair.....Exodus 35:25 - 26
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.64 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?