Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sweater Talk
 Pattern measurement error?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1740 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2010 :  1:21:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope someone here has the book Vogue Knitting (Very Easy Knits). On page 20 is the Broken-Cable Pullover.

I've been eager to knit this sweater for a few years now, and am planning to do so in one piece. I swatched the yarn (st st; 5 sts/in.) and am ready to go. Except for one thing: I just discovered last night that the number of COs equals the finished chest measurement. There are broken 6x6 (yes, that wide!) cables all over the front and back, as well as on the sleeves. I am having difficulty imagining that there won't be some kind of major draw-in issue from the cables; however, a broken-cable column has 23 rows between cable rows. The column next to it has equally spaced cable rows but occuring exactly in between (starting at row 12). So the cables kind of "walk" up the sweater, if you know what I mean.

I hope someone has knitted this before and can advise me on the outcome. Did it come out smaller than you expected? I am somehow thinking this will need more stitches, and since I will be working the largest size, I will be improvising on numbers. Not a biggie; I'd just like to start this without frogging!

Ceil

Time is never a factor when joy is involved.

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2010 :  1:36:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm presuming that you aren't on Ravelry? Not that it was much help this time. There were two projects knitted from this pattern, neither reported a sizing problem. One did complain about not getting row gauge compared to stitch gauge with her chosen yarn, though.

Have you tried knitting a reasonably large swatch in the pattern and tested how much it would draw in - the sleeve, even?

KathyR

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.
My Blog
http://www.flickr.com/groups/kr_members/ (Roselea Fibres)
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4157 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2010 :  3:09:33 PM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Only one error at the website: http://www.sixthandspringbooks.com/errata_vkveryeasyknits.php

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.