Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Shelter from Jared Flood
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Clara
queen bee

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  7:24:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After months and months of work, Jared has finally released his yarn! And I know that many of you have already started swatching. For those who haven't, here's a review to give you a sense of what Jared's doing.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4395 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  03:32:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My swatch turned into the first third of a Wayfarer scarf! Knitting with it is pure sheepy pleasure. Shelter is a fantastic addition to the "new" family of yarns that are available to us — and it's Clara's "fault" for opening our eyes to so many possibilities!

Jane

Betty deserves a nice birthday present: Make a Donation
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

Marie
Chatty Knitter

347 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  04:12:43 AM  Show Profile Send Marie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This yarn is right up my alley--I cut my "knitting teeth" on Bartlett's and discovered true love with Beaverslide Dry Goods...so I got weak-kneed seeing pictures of this yarn, and Clara's review tipped me over the edge. (That was a beautiful review--the yarn danced to life before my eyes...completely irresistible.) Three skeins of Almanac are headed to (or staying in?) New England. If knitting time proves as elusive over the next month as it has been for the past month, it might become my New Beginnings project, coming full circle back to Clara.
Go to Top of Page

mbloguephd@yahoo.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  04:15:57 AM  Show Profile Send mbloguephd@yahoo.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm just thinking that the names of the colors alone are enough to make me try it!

Bravo Jared.
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5194 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  04:37:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been trying to hold out and not buy any Shelter, but I think Clara just cracked me. It would make a fantastic addition to the afghan I'm working on for the Woolalong. Sigh. Let me see if I can limit the number of colors I buy.

See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.com/
Read my audiobook reviews: http://booksforears.com/
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Go to Top of Page

NekkidSheep
New Pal

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  05:41:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit NekkidSheep's Homepage Send NekkidSheep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was fortunate enough to have two workshops with Jared less than three weeks ago, and what a pleasure to be back home and discover his release of Shelter!
I am currently awaiting the arrival of three skeins of Nest, and can hardly wait to get them in my hot little hands! They'll be put to good use with one of his patterns, and though I'm not sure which one, I am leaning towards the Wayfarer.
Jared's one of the nicest, most generous, knowledgeable and talented designer/knitters I've met, and deserves every ounce of success that comes his way.
Go to Top of Page

NutmegOwl
Gabber Extraordinaire

582 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  06:46:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit NutmegOwl's Homepage Send NutmegOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My Shelter arrived yesterday - I somehow managed to discover it while Clara was busy keeping secrets ... it is wool love personified. I have 2 sk of Button Jar, a green/blue that is both and neither, to make his Woodruff mittens; and 4 sk of Thistle, a very happy heathered purple/burgundy to make a Terra shawl.

As a fellow wool sniffer, I agree with Clara that the fragrance is definitely different - more woolwash and less sheep. That notwithstanding, I only wish I could have gotten it on the needles last night.

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

spinningkat
New Pal

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  07:21:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit spinningkat's Homepage Send spinningkat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always read the reviews-rarely comment-but I did want to weigh in. I love the fact that Jared Flood had designed his own yarn-nothing like creating something from the ground up-using an American mill and fibers-to get the blood going-hats off to Jared. I share that experience in that as a dyer of a line of yarn-I too had the pleasure of designing a yarn last year-a luxury lace weight (Trinity Lace) using American fibers and working with a wonderful mill in Ohio and thoroughly loved the experience! I want to do it again. I wish much success to Jared on his venture. One question...for a lofty yarn-how durable is it? How quickly does it pill?

Kat
Check out news at Scarlet Fleece: www.scarletfleece.com
Go to Top of Page

2totangle
Permanent Resident

1212 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  08:08:52 AM  Show Profile Send 2totangle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those colors are fantastic! I so admire what Jared Flood is doing. Thanks for your review, Clara.

Suzanne

Flickr pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2totangle/
Ravelry project page: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/2totangle
Go to Top of Page

honeybee33
Warming Up

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  11:07:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit honeybee33's Homepage Send honeybee33 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's no doubt that Jared Flood is an extraordinary artist and this yarn seems to be no exception to the fruits of his many talents.

I write "seems to be" because, at double-digits for a single hank, here is yet again another "artisanal" yarn that I will probably never get the opportunity to try, let alone use to construct any item of useful size.

While I admire the efforts of such individuals of uncompromising ideals in the knitting-universe, increasingly they are not creating sustainable, distributable product models, but "vanity" luxuries for the privileged few (and fewer, as our economy continues to eviscerate many families' budgets for such "necessities" as yarn!).

In perfect honesty, I read this review with a mix of deep appreciation and wistful, sullen resentment. I fear that these talented artists whose work I so revere are creating an aristocratic class of knitters who can afford to dabble in the most trendsetting hand-dyeds, the best-sourced custom-spuns, and attend the latest conferences and camps. And, because all of these choices come attached with idealistic value-judgments, look down their noses at those of us who are priced right out of knitting but for the existence of Knit Picks and Red Heart.

I'm all for the values expressed in the creation of this yarn and the writing of this review. But seriously - isn't this becoming a class issue?

"To make a prairie it takes a clover and one bee ..." ~ Emily Dickinson

knitblog @: http://web.mac.com/honeybee33/
Go to Top of Page

rosir
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
442 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  11:32:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit rosir's Homepage Send rosir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm so sorry that you feel somehow slighted by the creation, review and marketing of artisan yarn. In fact the price is usually justified due to the relatively small amount of the "run" and it isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea.
I purchase yarn across the price board. There are yarns I prefer and yarns I don''t, but it often has less to do with price than with personal preference. I also think that there was quite a bit of buzz created here about Quince, which has a wonderful provenance and price point. In a knitting environment with so many wonderful choices for just about every budget, I feel very lucky that no matter what my economic circumstance, I'll still have the thrill of the hunt for yarn I can afford.
Just my humble opinion, not a criticism.

Rosi,
who has quite a stash of knitpicks, Elann, and co-op yarn, so.....
Go to Top of Page

One Stitch at a Time
Chatty Knitter

300 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  3:27:50 PM  Show Profile Send One Stitch at a Time a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't see this as a class issue at all. All you have to do is go into the KR archives to see that Clara's reviews are of products at every price point and value. How we relate to each other on the forums has nothing to do with our economic status but everything to do with our love of this wonderful craft.
We are always making choices. In these difficult economic times, many of us have limitations due to circumstances beyond our control. So some can buy artisan yarns and some can't. Some drive luxury cars and some have older beat up cars. Some eat caviar and some eat beans. So what? Inexpensive yarn or artisan, I get pleasure when I knit and create something, when I master a knitting challenge for the first time, and when someones eyes light up when I give them a handmade gift.
If you think that having KnitPicks Yarns etc., diminish you and your knitting experience, well then I guess you are right- it does. But you are the one making the value-judgement. No one else.

Nanci
Go to Top of Page

Marie
Chatty Knitter

347 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  4:41:03 PM  Show Profile Send Marie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This might sound unbelievable anywhere but here, but I've been thinking about my skeins all day and they were a bright beacon during a stressful day in a new job. The itchy knitting fingers many of us get during this cooling season are contagious--all I wanted to do all day was get my package, wind my hanks and cast on. I try not to make eye contact with my neglected WIPs, in case they are plotting to make me feel guilty.

I needed this yarn, despite what my stash closet says...I think "Shelter" could not be more aptly named.

Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted. ~John Lennon
Go to Top of Page

frenetic@charter.net
Permanent Resident

1386 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  4:50:25 PM  Show Profile Send frenetic@charter.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't seen this yarn in person, but in the photos, it reminds me of Rowan Magpie Tweed.
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

NutmegOwl
Gabber Extraordinaire

582 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  07:10:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit NutmegOwl's Homepage Send NutmegOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sharon -
The colors are similar to be sure, but it has a very different feel altogether. Good reminder of the effect of the blended colors. I knew it reminded me of something I'd knitted with.

Also, Honeybee33, there are several BrooklynTweed patterns (not to mention a universe of freebies) that require just one skein of Shelter, or there's even a BT mitten pattern (Woodruff) that while requiring 2 skeins, leaves enough for a cowl. I find one-skein and short-yardage projects that provide useful objects allow me to "taste" without breaking the bank.

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

rosir
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
442 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  07:39:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit rosir's Homepage Send rosir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really thought I was done responding to honeybee33. Nanci certainly responded firmly, but I am still bothered by the implications of the post. Perhaps that was your intention, since your blog states that you are interested in social issues. I must take issue with the "aristocratic knitter" idea and the wild jump taking a 12.00 skein of yarn and turning it into a "class issue".
If you wanted to make me think, you did. If you wanted to put a pall over the excitement I felt at trying this new yarn, you did. Thanks for making me realize that there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with Jared's careful and responsible execution of his vision and there is NOTHING wrong with my purchase of his yarn. I actually purchased 3 more skeins, in the event you take me up on my offer.
"Never" is a long time. Send me you snailmail address via pm and I'll happily send you a skein or two. While you decide, you can check out vendors such as Bartlett, Marr Haven, Quince or Cestari and find some "elite" yarn at a price point that makes you feel less sullen.

Rosi
Go to Top of Page

frenetic@charter.net
Permanent Resident

1386 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  09:53:32 AM  Show Profile Send frenetic@charter.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had the same thought as Nutmeg Owl--why not get just one skein and knit something small with it?
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

NastiJ
Permanent Resident

1288 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  11:57:00 AM  Show Profile Send NastiJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Clara

...Jared has finally released his yarn!...

Clara - just as an aside, the subject line of this post might appear to be a plea for protection to any non-KR denizen who came upon it randomly!

Nancy J.

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3469 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  3:34:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Too funny Nancy!
"Jared Flood keeps tweedy yarn hostage until it is ready to transform into a gorgeous finished object".
Go to Top of Page

JulyGrrl

USA
Posted - 10/08/2010 :  4:17:04 PM  Show Profile Send JulyGrrl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't want to get involved with the class issue discussion, but I am curious about why Quince & Co's new Lark yarn that has 134 yards and is basically the same weight as Jared's Shelter yarn is about half the price. Both yarns are sourced carefully from American sheep and spun in New England. I'm wondering whether the primary difference is that Quince's yarns are being directly marketed to the consumer with only one flagship LYS carrying them retail, while Jared's are being marketed both directly and through 9 or 10 retail stores from day one. Obviously, there has to be a mark-up if the yarn is being sold both wholesale and retail. I'm mainly interested to learn whether something about the dyeing methods and spinning methods for the two yarns would make Jared's more expensive to produce. I'm delighted that BOTH are being offered to us.

“Ultimately, we have just one moral duty: to reclaim large areas of peace in ourselves, more and more peace, and to reflect it toward others. And the more peace there is in us, the more peace there will also be in our troubled world.” --Etty Hillesum, from her diary, September 29, 1942
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  5:11:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by honeybee33
I write "seems to be" because, at double-digits for a single hank, here is yet again another "artisanal" yarn that I will probably never get the opportunity to try, let alone use to construct any item of useful size.

Since knitting is no longer a necessity in our culture (going on the fact that your profile says USA), it could be argued that knitting is, in itself, a classist act. It is a hobby. You must have free time to have a hobby.

Unless someone only knits with donated yarn, they have to choose how to spend their yarn money. If you do only knit with donated yarn, there is always the chance that someone would donate this yarn to you. However, since you're using price as a primary argument, it is implied that you purchase yarn yourself.

If you choose to spend your money on X instead of Y, that does not mean you have been *denied* the opportunity to buy Y. It means you have *chosen* not to buy Y.

"I'm telling you, we're in a M. Night Shyamalan flick."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.67 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.