Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Comparing Quince and Shelter
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jeanine
Chatty Knitter

248 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2010 :  1:42:49 PM  Show Profile Send Jeanine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've read Clara's reviews of both these yarns, and the related posts, and am wondering what the main differences and similarities are. (Since the Quince write-up is a preview, not a review, there isn't any knitting/washing/wearing info on which to bade a comparison.)

Price aside, how do they compare?

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2010 :  3:05:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The biggest difference is that the yarns are spun at two different mills using two completely different techniques. Quince is spun worsted and Shelter is spun woolen - so it's the difference between a bread made from white flour and one made from rye or whole wheat. Quince yarns are also dyed solid colors, while Shelter is dyed in the wool so that the colors are blended - in fiber form - before ever spun. Hope that helps!

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2671 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2010 :  6:34:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Having projects with both OTN at the moment, I'll add that Shelter is more of a woolly, rustic yarn while Quince is smoother and more refined. Like the difference between a tweed jacket you'd wear outside vs. a dressy blazer you'd wear indoors. Both are lovely but they are nothing alike despite the similar fiber content.

Luann

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jeanine
Chatty Knitter

248 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2010 :  06:35:49 AM  Show Profile Send Jeanine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you! I took TKBOY to bed last night and read about worsted and woolen, and the flour/blazer/jacket comparisons are perfect illustrations.
Go to Top of Page

NutmegOwl
Gabber Extraordinaire

581 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2010 :  06:53:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit NutmegOwl's Homepage Send NutmegOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very helpful analogy for those of us who don't have both at hand. I know I'm going to have to use my sharp elbows the next time we see Quince together ...

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Jeanine
Chatty Knitter

248 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2010 :  08:40:56 AM  Show Profile Send Jeanine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NutmegOwl

I know I'm going to have to use my sharp elbows the next time we see Quince together ...

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com

I'm honing mine right now! The only thing that's holding me back is that it isn't machine washable and I'm in knitting-for-nieces-and-nephews mode.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe