Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Machine Talk
 Super Duper Basic Beginner Talk
 simple, safe machine for vision impaired?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nerston
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  9:49:45 PM  Show Profile Send nerston a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi,
My Mum was a HUGE machine knitter til she lost most of her sight. Any thoughts on a machine with plastic needles (metal needles pose too much risk of injury). I've seen the Innovations on line, but are there others or other thoughts?
Cheers, Alison

Maggi
New Pal

France
11 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  1:07:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Maggi's Homepage Send Maggi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Alison

Sorry to hear about your mum's lost sight, my Mum had glaucoma and lost her sight in her 80's and unfortunately I have inherited it, but at present mine is under control and my eyesight ok - re knitting machines, I understand your worries re metal knitting machine needles - I do not know of any models that have plastic machine needles, I would assume they would be too fragile. I would have thought size of needles would be more important, so she can feel them if not see them, and the machines that are light and reasonable easy to knit with and have a hand knit feel are perhaps models like the Knitmaster Zippy 90 - you often see them on Ebay - they are on a plastic bed with a plastic carriage and knit a variety of yarns such as double knitting, chunky or mohair for instance. If you want to read about some knitting machines including the Zippy, take a look at my website. It has loads of pics and my own notes about these machines. Another machine might be the Bond Classic and this can still be bought new, but it does not have a yarn tensioner ie you lay the yarn over the needles, and it all depends upon how much sight left your mum has. Another one coming to mind is the SimpleFrame, but please bear in mind, these machine all have metal needles. Hope this is helpful to you, being someone who (ok so machine knits, ) I would be lost without it. Maggi
Go to Top of Page

sian
New Pal

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2014 :  06:58:21 AM  Show Profile Send sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maggi

Hi Alison

Sorry to hear about your mum's lost sight, my Mum had glaucoma and lost her sight in her 80's and unfortunately I have inherited it, but at present mine is under control and my eyesight ok - re knitting machines, I understand your worries re metal knitting machine needles - I do not know of any models that have plastic machine needles, I would assume they would be too fragile. I would have thought size of needles would be more important, so she can feel them if not see them, and the machines that are light and reasonable easy to knit with and have a hand knit feel are perhaps models like the Knitmaster Zippy 90 - you often see them on Ebay - they are on a plastic bed with a plastic carriage and knit a variety of yarns such as double knitting, chunky or mohair for instance. If you want to read about some knitting machines including the Zippy, take a look at my website. It has loads of pics and my own notes about these machines. Another machine might be the Bond Classic and this can still be bought new, but it does not have a yarn tensioner ie you lay the yarn over the needles, and it all depends upon how much sight left your mum has. Another one coming to mind is the SimpleFrame, but please bear in mind, these machine all have metal needles. Hope this is helpful to you, being someone who (ok so machine knits, ) I would be lost without it. Maggi

Go to Top of Page

sian
New Pal

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2014 :  07:07:31 AM  Show Profile Send sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you could try the addi express kingsize and addi express professional

both have plastic needles

even tho there round u can knit flat panels

and jumpers hats etc

the king size has 46 needles and the pro 22
i use the pro for premature baby hats and scarfs at the moment.
there is a row counter and you do get spare needles table clamps ,dvd and sewing needle with both machines

with the kingsize u also get stoppers to make smaller flat panels

its a round hand crank machine with row counter

think u can buy the express pro from wool stock for under 80 there on ebay as woolstock trivet

Go to Top of Page

sian
New Pal

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2014 :  7:12:52 PM  Show Profile Send sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i should add my partner is blind and his only problem is he seems collide withe metal clamps that hold my addi machines to the table .

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe