Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 measuring circular needles
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rangerfan
Chatty Knitter

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  07:54:50 AM  Show Profile Send Rangerfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, I hope all had wonderful holidays and got all the knitting presents they wanted. I have a question, and I hope one of you ladies can help me.

I have a set of the interchangable circular needles that I love and use more times than not. My 24" circular needles, do you measure from needle tip to needle tip or do you measure just the cable they attach to? I hope this makes sense. Thank you for any help you can give me.

Myra

Rangerfan
Chatty Knitter

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  07:58:36 AM  Show Profile Send Rangerfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oops...the above is supposed to read: My pattern calls for 24" circular needles...... Not "My 24" needles". Have a cold and my head is a little foggy this morning. Sorry.
Go to Top of Page

Consuelo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  09:05:35 AM  Show Profile Send Consuelo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah. I've always wondered about that - maybe someone here will clarify.

Consuelo
"Travel is fatal to prejudice" Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

mertle
Permanent Resident

USA
1734 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  10:49:11 AM  Show Profile Send mertle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tip to tip.

Marilyn
My Bags
Go to Top of Page

Rangerfan
Chatty Knitter

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  10:57:25 AM  Show Profile Send Rangerfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
tip of needle to tip of needle? I assume that is how you mean...sometimes I am really stupid, I blame it on menopause!! haha

thank you for your responses.

Myra
Go to Top of Page

Rangerfan
Chatty Knitter

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  1:24:51 PM  Show Profile Send Rangerfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found this helpful site...saying:

If you have inherited, bought or found a set of circular knitting needles without the packaging, you need to know how to measure the needles in order to follow knitting patterns.
.Difficulty: Easy
Instructions.Things You'll Need:
Measuring tape
Lay the needles out in one straight line.

Put one end of the tape measure on the left end of one of the needles.

Lay the measuring tape across the needle, then across the cord, all the way to the right end of the second needle.

Measure the whole length, including the needles and the cord. That is the length of your needles.

Compare measurements of your mystery needles to packaged ones, you will notice two numbers on the package. One is the length (what you've just measured) in inches. The other number represents the standard size--usually from 1 to 35--which is the gauge of the needle. Standard sizes can differ by region and the gauge in sometimes shown in millimeters to clarify the standard size.

Read more: How to Measure the Length of Circular Knitting Needles | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4882638_measure-length-circular-knitting-needles.html#ixzz1AC7910nr
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2603 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  5:58:31 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, Pointy tip of one needle to pointy tip of other needle.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  07:57:43 AM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always wondered about that. Thanks!

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

2010 FO: two pair felted clogs, two chemo caps for Mom 2011 FO: BYOB (market bag), Hedgerow Mitts

Go to Top of Page

Chayah
Permanent Resident

1927 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2011 :  6:48:03 PM  Show Profile Send Chayah a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, that is very helpful information.

"Each breath really is a new beginning of the rest of our lives." Jon Kabat-Zinn
Go to Top of Page

JillN
Warming Up

62 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  06:39:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit JillN's Homepage Send JillN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everyone is correct - tip to tip is the correct way to measure any circular needle length.

For example, my KnitPicks interchangable needles are 4 1/2 inches long (each). So the 24" cable (labeled/sold as 24") is actually only 15" long. It's when you put it together with the two needle tips that it then becomes a 24" circular needle.
Go to Top of Page

Hudakore
Warming Up

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2011 :  09:08:15 AM  Show Profile Send Hudakore a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I don't get it....while I already knew this, why don't they just say it's a 24" cable and mean JUST the cable?

Nothing is what it seems, nor is it otherwise.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe