Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 The Curse of the Love Sweater?
 Cardigan for Husband?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KatySpins
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  05:33:06 AM  Show Profile Send KatySpins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a new knitter -- taught myself last fall from the Stitch and beach book from the library. My WONDERFUL husband must have ESP, because he took my knitting as a sign and bought me a spinning wheel (Country Craftsman) for Christmas! I am having so much fun spinning!

I asked him what he would like knit from handspun, and he said a cardigan with pockets. Now, it will be quite some time before I have spun enough, and have enough knitting gumption to try a cardigan, but I am a bit wary of the sweater curse, since he is A KEEPER.

It seems that opinion is divided here on whether sweaters are safe after marriage or not. And handspun would seem to add another level to it.

Thoughts?

(no you can't have him!)

Consuelo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  07:34:39 AM  Show Profile Send Consuelo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The sweater curse does not affect married people. You go for it and have a blast.
Congrats on having such a supportive hubby... he'll love anything you make him.

Consuelo
"Travel is fatal to prejudice" Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

NastiJ
Permanent Resident

1288 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  1:13:04 PM  Show Profile Send NastiJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read your subject line, and thought "That's a pretty good trade."

Nancy J.

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
Go to Top of Page

KatySpins
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  4:23:44 PM  Show Profile Send KatySpins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ooo not my husband!

no one and nothing would be a good enough trade for him!
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1803 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  12:21:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've knitted several sweater for my DH, one of them a vest out of handspun, and we are still very much togther! Go for it!!

Ceil
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

KatySpins
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  11:18:38 AM  Show Profile Send KatySpins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, will try. I may start with a vest, first, before I try to tackle sleeves!
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1803 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  8:54:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I work Cowichan sleeves, picked up at the armhole and worked down to the cuff. No sewing. It's really cool.

Ceil
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1688 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2011 :  3:03:14 PM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been married for 33 years, and I say if he wants something made by you.....go for it!!! My DH doesnt like vests or sweaters, but he will wear all the socks I make for him!!
judy
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3989 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2011 :  06:33:00 AM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
40 years in and he's worn my knitting without causing marital problems. Knit away!

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.
Go to Top of Page

jamieknits
New Pal

14 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2011 :  11:14:38 AM  Show Profile Send jamieknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been married 30 years and DH wears every hat I knit him, but rarely touches the vests and sweaters. The only sweaters he'll wear are super fine gauge (say 10 stitch to the inch or finer) machine knits, and prefers the lightweight underarmour style zippies.

My understanding is that the sweater curse only applies to unmarrieds, so knit away.

By the way, I would strongly recommend "Knits Men Want" by Bruce Weinstein and Jared Flood. The discussions on fit and styling are quite useful and the patterns (sized for many size guys and yarns) are well written and classic in design. Everything I've knit from it has been worn.

Jamie
Go to Top of Page

peepla
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2011 :  10:56:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit peepla's Homepage  Send peepla a Yahoo! Message Send peepla a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The boyfriend curse does not apply to you. Cheaper to keep her and all of that. The theory goes that you make your boyfriend a sweater....which is personal and shows a deep commitement and he can't handle it thinking "next she'll want to get married"...then he gets ghost and he's still walking around in the sweater you made him...with the new girl friend. Since yours already made the commitment...the curse is null and void in regards to you. Hope that helps.

~Lakaya~
http://purplebutterfly-peepla.blogspot.com/
~ http://AptitudesUnlimited.artfire.com ~
Go to Top of Page

peepla
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2011 :  11:05:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit peepla's Homepage  Send peepla a Yahoo! Message Send peepla a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knitted some alpaca socks for my fiance....then discovered a few things I couldn't imagine living with for the next 50 years...and broke it off. Everyone said I knitted my "walking boots"...it's just yarn. We are crafters...we create. It's what we do. The yarn we craft with and the items we craft do not have supernatural properties to affect relationships....but since it's fun to spout the nonsense....people do. I don't blame the socks...I blame the man. Still fun to say I knitted the walking boots. Haha

~Lakaya~
http://purplebutterfly-peepla.blogspot.com/
~ http://AptitudesUnlimited.artfire.com ~
Go to Top of Page

Catlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

395 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  3:57:55 PM  Show Profile Send Catlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another good book is "Men in Knits" by Tara Jon Manning. It has a lot of information on style choices and sizing. Have fun making the sweater!
Go to Top of Page

Chell
New Pal

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  6:22:23 PM  Show Profile Send Chell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since you learned from Stitch n' B**** I would try looking at her newer book, Son of a Stitch n' B****. My DH was looking at knitting books with me (He was clearly more interested in me getting a book on 2 at a time socks, I wonder why :p) and I picked up the book and flipped through it. It's all about patterns for men, and my DH even found a few items he "would like to wear" out of it. Did I mention he's very picky about his sweaters?
Go to Top of Page

Lynne604
Warming Up

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2012 :  09:41:22 AM  Show Profile Send Lynne604 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe the curse can apply to married people, but only if the marriage is already in trouble. My friend knit a pullover sweater for her husband. It was his idea. He chose the pattern and yarn. After it was finished, he wore it once and said it was too heavy. They separated soon after; she said later that things hadn't been good between them for a very long time. The sweater looks great on her!
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2012 :  4:56:37 PM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have knitted lots for my DH and we have been happy for nearly 44 years. I have also sewn lots including trousers which he loves. So I would also say "Go for it" and don't be afraid to try a sweater. You just follow the pattern. Maybe check back here once you have chosen a pattern to see if anyone has knitted it and knows if there are any mistakes in the pattern because that could throw a new knitter but otherwise Needles - ready, set, go!

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2012 :  06:01:43 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've knit several sweaters for my hubby of 49 years, but this last one might just kill me.

Anyway, no, the curse of the love sweater is for BF/GF combinations, even long standing relationships can evidently get hit by it! One gal said HE thought SHE was knitting too much and ignoring him, so he left her!

Lella

Zippiknits

"Life is good if you don't weaken." Calvin Coolidge
Go to Top of Page

marjotse
Permanent Resident

Sweden
1018 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2012 :  09:17:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit marjotse's Homepage Send marjotse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't knit for my husband for some years now, but recently he has made sounds that he wants something knitted again.... (I have knitted for him before), so I guess I really ought to.....as now it seems unfair that only my daughters and me get knitted items.

Marjolein

http://kantajour.blogspot.com
my photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/98299499@N00/
On Ravelry: Marjotse
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.7 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth