Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Felting Talk
 General Felting Discussion
 Don't Do This
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2600 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  09:10:24 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a bad morning. I made myself a pair of Fiber Trends felted slippers about a year ago. I wore them a lot last winter, but this winter they seemed to have stretched out a bit, and they were kind of dirty. So... I tried to wash them and re-felt them a little. BAD IDEA. As I checked on them, it seemed as though I was getting a lot of fuzz and fiber in the water. I kept cleaning it out and I continued. Well, when it was all done, the clogs were (1) quite small, and (2) and much sadder, both had big gaping holes in the outer sole. I mean, holes probably 1.5" x 2" or more. I stretched the clogs so that I think they could possibly fit, but the holes! It is like the yarn just disintegrated - there were no holes when I put them in.

Has anyone had this experience? Have any of you washed your felted items? If so, how?

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "

2totangle
Permanent Resident

1212 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  09:28:58 AM  Show Profile Send 2totangle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I'm so sorry. I don't have any experience with this, so I don't have any information to share, although I appreciate the heads-up. I take it that the shrinkage and holes are such that they're not worth repairing (e.g., by needle-felting or patching)? Sending cyberhugs your way.

Suzanne

Flickr pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2totangle/
Ravelry project page: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/2totangle
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5190 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  09:44:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh no! There's no chance they came in contact with chlorine bleach, is there? That's terrible.

I've never had that happen with felt, but I haven't made clogs with felt soles, so none of the felt I have gets that sort of wear. I do have a handmade felted rug (made in the Mongolian method, not knitted) that's definitely showing some wear, but it's too big to put in a washer.

I have lots of nice thick felt squares from recycled sweaters that would work as patches if you're interested. I'm happy to share.

See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.com/
Read my audiobook reviews: http://booksforears.com/
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Go to Top of Page

Consuelo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2011 :  6:33:50 PM  Show Profile Send Consuelo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have re-felted slippers that were a couple of years old without any ill effects. They shrank a tiny bit which was perfect. It's possible, as has been mentioned, that you had remains of bleach from a previous load... that could've cause the holes.

But never fear: if you want to save them, "mend" the holes with yarn and needle felt the yarn in place. If you no longer have the yarn you could use a colorful contrasting yarn and make your mending neatly in a circle or a flower or some other fun shape and then do the needle felting.

If that's not to your satisfaction and you are ready to give up on them, cut them up into coasters and blanket stitch the edge. I did that with some slippers that turned out less-than-perfect and I was very happy be able to recycle them and the coasters were cute.

Consuelo
"Travel is fatal to prejudice" Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2600 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2011 :  9:39:23 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the support and advice. I stretched the slippers when they were wet and as they dried, and they are almost back to their old size. I have been wearing them even though the outer sole is 1/2 gone. They are slippers, after all, and the "uppers" are fine. I agree that needle felting is probably the answer, but I don't know how to do that. I've wanted to learn, and I guess the bottom of a slipper is a good place to begin.

Anyway, I learned a lesson - be more careful about re-felting!

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

699 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2011 :  05:13:06 AM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about sawing leather bottoms on?

Kristina
Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

699 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2011 :  05:14:27 AM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry I ment to write sew.

K
Go to Top of Page

shaggy
Permanent Resident

USA
4126 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2011 :  06:01:07 AM  Show Profile Send shaggy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by kkknitter

Sorry I ment to write sew.

K

kkknitter, you can go to any of your posts in the future and edit them. Look for the small square with a pencil, click on the square and edit away.

PM.... if you have any questions.

shaggy

every dollar makes Betty smile

Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

699 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2011 :  07:48:25 AM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks! I learn something every day.

Kristina
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2046 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2011 :  11:01:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The felted slippers by Fiber Trends is on my list as the next project! I will be buying the leather soles for mine.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe