Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 dumb question - knittng a circle
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Consuelo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2011 :  11:47:35 AM  Show Profile Send Consuelo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm having a mental block this morning trying to knit a plain, flat circle. Not a tube but a filled in circle.

I measured the circumference I wanted, swatched the yarn/needles to be used (there you go, Clara :-D); knitted in the round, decreased about 8% on the second row and thought I would continue doing that until I had a tiny circle but the more I thought about it, the more it seems like it won't work out. I was doing it Magic Loop style so as the circumference got smaller it wouldn't matter but it doesn't seem like ti would be flat.

Oh, I suppose I would whip out some books and look around but I know someone here would have the perfect advice for me. Can you help?

Consuelo
"Travel is fatal to prejudice" Mark Twain

Sara Sue
Permanent Resident

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2011 :  12:40:13 PM  Show Profile Send Sara Sue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lifted from the net cause I have no idea how to:

Two ways:

1. Cast on 8 sts. Arrange on 4 dpns, 2 sts per needle. Join, being careful not to twist.
2. Kfb (knit front and back) in each st around (16 sts).
3. Knit 3 rounds.
4. Kfb in each st around (32 sts)
5. Knit 6 rounds.
6. Kfb, in each st around (64 sts).
7. Knit 12 rounds. At this point, you may want to switch to circular needles.
8. Kfb in each st around (128 sts).

Keep doing this pattern of increases until you have the size you want. This is an adaptation of Elizabeth Zimmerman's design.

Or if you want a pattern to form, you can cast on the same 8 sts and increase on alternate rounds:
Round 1: Kfb in each st (16 sts)
Round 2 and all even rounds: Knit
Round 3: *Kfb, k1* repeat from * to * around OR *k1, yo* repeat from * to * around. The "kfb" will produce a solid circle; the "k1yo" will produce a lacy hole for design interest.
Round 5: *Kfb, k2*, repeat from * to * around OR *k2, yo*, repeat from * to * around.
Round 7: *Kfb, k3*, repeat from * to * around OR *k3, yo*, repeat from * to * around.

Keep increasing one st on each odd-numbered round until the size you want.

You can also use short rows to create wedge-shaped pieces until you have a circle:

Cast on any number of stitches divisible by 2 and that will produce 1/2 the diameter of the circle you want.
Row 1: Knit 2, turn.
Row 2 and all even rows: Knit back to the beginning.
Row 3: Knit 4, turn.
Row 5: Knit 6, turn.
Row 7: Knit 8, turn.
Row 9: Knit 10, turn.

Continue to knit two additional stitches on each odd-numbered row until all stitches have been knit and you have returned to the beginning of the row. You will have a wedge shape. Repeat the wedge shape until you have a circle. Cast off and sew the cast-off edge to the cast-on edge. Or you could use a temporary (provisional) cast-on and then Kitchener the first row to the last row.

Go to Top of Page

socks4all
Permanent Resident

USA
1461 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2011 :  2:14:22 PM  Show Profile Send socks4all a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you want to start from the middle and work out you can do a turkish caston using 4 wraps to start. Knit one round then increase 8 sts evenly every other round. If you stack increases you will get a swirl pattern in the center of an octogon. If you do the increases randomly it will be more circular. An octogon blocks very nicely into a circle.
Go to Top of Page

Consuelo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2011 :  2:52:54 PM  Show Profile Send Consuelo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks to both of you - off I go!

Consuelo
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1753 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2011 :  06:19:44 AM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another way is to knit wedges using short rows to create a circle. If you are making something small, like a trivet size circle, this is easy. If something larger, like a shawl, then this might not be a good choice.

If you cast on 18 stitches, as an example, knit row 1 & 2 back and forth, knit row 3 - 16 st, wrap and turn. Next, knit 14, wrap and turn. Continue in this pattern until you use up the stitches. I usually knit 2 full rows back and forth to even out the stitches and start wedge 2 on the same edge as the first so it doesn't swirl like the corkscrew scarf. I have done this using 8 wedges to create my circle, but you can play with the number of cast on stitches, the rate you decrease with the short rows, etc. and maybe have fewer or more wedges. As you add the wedges, the first will meet up with the last and you join them with an appropriate seam.

I know this description is vague, but it is just a technique, not a pattern, so needs to be modified to your needs. I've done this using a different color yarn for each wedge, it was a great way to use up left-over yarn.

See My Stuff: Here

Go to Top of Page

Kade1301
Permanent Resident

France
1438 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2011 :  06:04:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kade1301's Homepage Send Kade1301 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Margeret Waterman, in her Traditional Knitted Lace Shawls, shows two methods for knitting circles: The concentric rings method, where you double the stitches when you double the number of rows (Sarah Sue's first method).

Or knitting 16 triangles (still knitting in the round from the inside out or the outside in) by making 16 increases/decreases every fourth round. That's what I'm doing for my 3/4-circle shawl (with 12 increases every fourth round) and it seems to work quite well. I'll know for sure after blocking...

Bye, Klara

http://www.lahottee.info
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1810 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2011 :  5:24:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heavens, this is a GREAT question!

I knitted a bunch of circles and found myself modifying EZ's Pi Shawl method by spreading the increases (or decreases, depending on which way I'm knitting!) over more rounds, instead of having one major round with a lot of them and then several rounds of plain knitting. I don't know what kind of effect you might be after, but when I spread the inc/dec sts out for a felted bowl, the bottom lost the holes that it has when I used EZ's method.

Ceil
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

Consuelo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2011 :  5:46:45 PM  Show Profile Send Consuelo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That sounds cool, Ceil. I was doing a dumb little project: a toilet paper cozy! I like to blow my nose with TP instead of tissue and I was tired of having a naked roll hanging around. It turned out fine with EZ's method but if I ever work on a felted project, I'll keep your advice in mind.

Toodles!

Consuelo
Go to Top of Page

lori1551
New Pal

Canada
46 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2011 :  08:56:00 AM  Show Profile Send lori1551 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You have a lot of excellent suggestions on here... and by your reply I know you have the answer,,, but passing on a You Tube video (I love You Tube for how to's) The music gets annoying on this video... and there is no talking sound explanation... but she shows how to do the circle without a hole in the middle... I use this one often...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sXTzPLnyWM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.32 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?