Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Never Again!
 Bamboo Sock Yarn
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

parislexi
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2011 :  06:16:34 AM  Show Profile Send parislexi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zitron Trekking Pro Natura Bamboo Sock Yarn - will never use it again for socks.

Purchased 3 skeins: Knitted socks out of 2 and both pairs wore out in the heels after
few wears ( wore them less than 5 times). Also felt harsh on my feet even after delicate washes. I intend to use the 3rd skein for a shawlette.

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2011 :  6:31:02 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, no, that's awful. I haven't had that problem but I certainly feel for you. Nothing like working that hard and having them fall apart. As I said, I haven't had that problem with that yarn but I do feel your pain.

M L
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2011 :  2:24:15 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's never a happy thing. Sorry it happened! I do notice that there is no nylon in the blend. That adds some durability and strength to yarns for socks.

Lella

Zippiknits

Want to make Betty Happy? Help buy her some brand new shoes.
Go to Top of Page

Debbie52
New Pal

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2011 :  06:17:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Debbie52's Homepage Send Debbie52 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will never use bamboo for socks either. I used a wool/bamboo blend: Regia bamboo (45% bamboo, 40% wool, and 15% nylon). They don't hold their shape and sag after a few hours.

Keep knitting because "If the knitter is weary the baby will have no new bonnet [or socks]." ~Irish proverb
Go to Top of Page

Zoomom
New Pal

Canada
12 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2013 :  10:09:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Zoomom's Homepage Send Zoomom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also found it is too drapey for socks. I would use it for a shawl or scarf. It is soft and shiny and pretty, but those socks live in my drawer and never see the light of day because they just want to slide off my feet.

Hand knit socks rock.
Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

698 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2013 :  06:45:13 AM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good sock yarn is so important. But, you have to keep trying out new and different fibers. So far I find that Opal is among the best, but the colors are so dull. Right now I'm using yarn given to me by a spinning/knitting friend who also dyes her own sock yarn. I will give her the first pair just in case the yarn does not hold up Has anybody made socks with Lorna's Laces Solemate yarn? It is spun with 30% Outlast whatever that is?

Keep trying parislexi!

Kristina
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1236 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2013 :  09:05:52 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've not tried knitting socks out of a bamboo blend because I've always thought that bamboo doesn't breathe, and that's the last thing i need on my feet. Don't know if I'm right about the not breathing thing, but it's really good to know about the durability thing.

Something I heard from Ann Budd is that you can use silk instead of nylon for strength, so now I'm knitting a pair of socks with 80% Polwarth wool and 20% silk. We'll see how they last.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

Gloria B
New Pal

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2013 :  3:08:49 PM  Show Profile Send Gloria B a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never knitted with bamboo sock yarn, but I bought some commercial bamboo socks and wore them on a vacation that involved a LOT of walking. They've held up very well so far, and the best thing about the socks is that they stayed fresh-smelling, even over the several wearings when I couldn't wash them. So there is an upside to bamboo socks. I had no problem with them not breathing either. I love these socks. They are soft and comfortable, and actually my favorite ones. But they were commercially knitted too. --Just my input, if any of it is worth anything.

Gloria B
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2013 :  3:28:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't had the opportunity to try Opal yet, but hear it is great. Since I've done both hand knitting and circular sock knitting machine socks I've stuck with what I had on hand and have been purchasing yarns on sale that I have used before. I've seen some beautiful socks, on the CSM site I belong to, made from yarns I haven't used. Unfortunately I've overspent my budget on yarn so I won't be trying the more expensive sock yarn for awhile!

Edited to add: Oops, I forgot to mention I have stayed away from the bamboo yarn on purpose. Don't know why, but just don't want to try it.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1740 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2013 :  5:30:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Debbie52

I will never use bamboo for socks either. I used a wool/bamboo blend: Regia bamboo (45% bamboo, 40% wool, and 15% nylon). They don't hold their shape and sag after a few hours.

The trick about bamboo yarn is that some of the stretch comes from the fabric, not the yarn. So if the socks are stretching out and won't hold their shape, the socks are asking for fewer stitches on the needles.

I knitted a pair of socks from the Regia bamboo yarn for my DH, and they have held up wonderfully. But I had to do a little homework by swatching. I just looked at my notes, and while size can't be factored in as I discuss this here, I wrote down that, if the sock yarn had been wool, a sock would have needed 84 sts. The bamboo yarn took 68 sts to get the same girth!

It was this difference that caused me to assemble an Alternative Sock Yarns class where we look at the behavior of various sock yarns.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2013 :  07:08:51 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Apparently bamboo does not absorb water. That is why it is used for such things as laminated wooden look floors and other items that go in wet areas. It is also extremely strong. In China they use it for scaffolding when they are building huge buildings. This could explain some of its behaviour in a yarn. I bought my son a couple of pairs of bamboo socks for his birthday and he raved about them. So much so that I bought him more for Christmas. He asked where I got them and how much they were. I told him and he choked at the price but agreed they are worth it. Ceil's advice about the number of stitches might be the secret to hand knitted bamboo socks.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?