Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 OFF-TOPIC: Enter At Your Own Risk
 Economic / big business
 Organic Elite Surrenders
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shaggy
Permanent Resident

USA
4126 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  06:48:17 AM  Show Profile Send shaggy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://my.firedoglake.com/organicconsumers/2011/01/28/the-organic-elite-surrenders-to-monsanto-what-now/

So prices will be reduced?

shaggy

every dollar makes Betty smile

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

699 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  07:31:17 AM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is one scary article. Keep the consumer in the dark. I knew there had to be a reason for my reluctance to shop at Whole Foods. And you have to wonder if all the "natural" stuff they put into our food supply isn't the cause of some of our medical maladies.

Kristina
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1809 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  5:15:31 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh dear oh dear, how awful. How abusive to consumers -- and we all have to eat.

Back to growing our own?

Anna
Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

699 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  8:42:56 PM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a good idea Anna, if I only did not have to contend with the groundhog, marauding deer, chipmunks.........etc.

Kristina
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  8:53:14 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We grow our own veggies and fruits. We have many deer but they can't make it over the top of our very tall fence. You just have to be determined to keep them out. They jump our neighbors' fences and dine on everything but just stare longingly into ours. Once and awhile, we have a rabbit but my big problem is keeping my dogs out of the gardens. They dig up the carrots, eat the tomatoes and pick the green beans. I have everything fenced off, the blueberries, raspberries, blackberies. Our property is a series of fenced off sections. LOL

We buy locally from farmers, too.

As you may have guessed, gardening is one of my absolute passions and I think we all should either grow our own or support local small-scale farmers.

If Clara would let me, I'd start a KR Community Garden right over there, just by the porch.

M L
Go to Top of Page

mouse
Permanent Resident

1442 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  8:59:53 PM  Show Profile Send mouse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've boycotted Whole Foods since the CEO (now *only* chairman of the board) came out publicly against health care reform. And for me, that was something of a hardship, since I'm veg and can get certain yummy things only there.

Thanks for posting this - I will spread the word.

........................................................................................................................
What is objectionable, what is dangerous, about extremists is not that they are extreme, but that they are intolerant. The evil is not what they say about their cause, but what they say about their opponents. RFK
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  10:36:54 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I only have anecdotal small evidences from here and there to support my view, but I'm wondering if the real reason might be that Whole Foods is in trouble. They aren't/can't drawing customers away from other truly organic stores, and they mean to help pollute the plant genes of the whole country so that they don't go down in flames.

I'm editing to add a link to Food and Water Watch Organization, the first whistle blower in this war with Monsanto and the favorite sons policy at the USDA.

http://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/ Give them a look in, please?

Thank you for posting this, Shaggy.

Lella

Zippiknits

Want to make Betty Happy? Help buy her some brand new shoes.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe