Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 What to do w/ leftover sock yarn
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Rakuqueen
Chatty Knitter

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  05:59:53 AM  Show Profile Send Rakuqueen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This has probably been discussed before, but couldn't find it in the last year. Yesterday, I rolled all the balls of leftover sock yarn (it was snowing) and am ready to do something w/ it. I don't want to make crazy socks, I have more sock yarn to make into socks. So I will have MORE little balls to make something else. Any ideas?

Jane

Rakuqueen

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2594 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  06:03:14 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My daughter is making an amazing afghan from her leftover sock yarn (held double), I believe.

For those on Ravelry, here's a link to the first square of six:

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Reindeer/ten-stitch-blanket

(As you can see, she likes red socks.)

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

Rakuqueen
Chatty Knitter

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  06:56:15 AM  Show Profile Send Rakuqueen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a good idea, I really liked the round one! It could take years and I would always have 1 UFO!

Jane

Rakuqueen
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2594 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  07:05:28 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So true, Jane. My daughter is using up all kinds of leftovers.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

697 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  08:03:37 AM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could also use your leftover sock yarn to make mittens. It makes for stronger mittens.

Kristina
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  8:00:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been saving my left over yarn for darning repairs. It would be nice to find something I'd like that I could use it for. Still would have to keep some for darning though!

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
989 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  8:37:31 PM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just checked out "Sock Yarn One Skein Wonders" from the library. It's geared primarily to using a whole skein of yarn but could inspire you with coordinating yarns.

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

2010 FO: two pair felted clogs, two chemo caps for Mom 2011 FO: BYOB (market bag), Hedgerow Mitts, pair of wristers/sweatbands, Baby Alpaca Grande Vest

Go to Top of Page

flicka
Seriously Hooked

877 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  9:37:48 PM  Show Profile Send flicka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is Shelley Kang's mitred square sock yarn blanket:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/sock-yarn-blanket

I think Solaris called our attention to it quite a while ago.

flicka
Go to Top of Page

meggitt@mtaonline.net
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  11:59:51 PM  Show Profile Send meggitt@mtaonline.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For Christmas, I knit wine ruffs from Ann Budd's Knitted Gifts for all my wine-drinking freinds and family. They were very well received. Even knit a few for me! I, too, also love all the options in Sock Yarn One-Skein wonders.
Go to Top of Page

Beffie
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  04:36:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Beffie's Homepage Send Beffie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about making the mini socks... about 2 inches tall. They can be used as a pin, Christmas decorations, package decorations. The 2 I've made are very cute.
Go to Top of Page

dyepot
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  05:15:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit dyepot's Homepage  Send dyepot a Yahoo! Message Send dyepot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used to knit a ton of socks before I got burned out with it. I used my leftovers to knit an EZ seamless sweater. I used strands and when one ran out just picked up another one. It turned out really nicely! Very unique to say the least! lol

Christina
http://www.dyepot.com

www.dyepot.com
Go to Top of Page

Marie
Chatty Knitter

347 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  05:26:29 AM  Show Profile Send Marie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've used up a fair amount of mine in a pair of Sunday Morning Shawls http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/sunday-morning-shawl. The pattern is on Ravelry. Half the fun for me was organizing the colors. I carried a strand of laceweight to help unify the colors and blend them better. I wear these shawls around the house all the time--they are sock yarn, so therefore very durable and stretchy, and they use up even the smallest fragments. HTH, Marie
http://flic.kr/p/8u7v2i

Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted. ~John Lennon
Go to Top of Page

scarfitup
Chatty Knitter

191 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  05:27:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit scarfitup's Homepage Send scarfitup a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sock yarn on big needles or hook makes beautiful freeform lace. Try mixing all sorts o f leftovers to create a really funky scarf or shawl. Myra Wood is a lovely inspiration.

Scarf It Up!
http://scarf-it-up.blogspot.com
http://flickr.com/photos/scarfitup
http://scarfitup.etsy.com
Become a Scarf It Up! Fan on FB: http://www.facebook.com/scarfitupwilmington
Go to Top of Page

marthamarques
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  05:27:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit marthamarques's Homepage Send marthamarques a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sock yarn makes the very best baby clothes. Make little hats, booties, or combine colors to make baby sweaters (like the Baby Surprise from Zimmerman). You don't even have to have an object. Someone is going to have a baby....you know it's going to happen.
Go to Top of Page

jlpanecki
New Pal

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  05:31:04 AM  Show Profile Send jlpanecki a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Leftover sock yarn is a treasure to me. I knit for vintage dolls and a small ball of sock yarn is perfect for them. Most of my work is done on size 0, 1, or 2.

I am always on the hunt for sock yarn and small skeins of fingering or lace yarn. I have a whole cabinet full of thin yarns- some are so thin I can double them, or combine them with another, to make an interesting tweed.

Anyone what to unload their leftovers, let me know!

Janet

Go to Top of Page

JillN
Warming Up

62 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  06:33:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit JillN's Homepage Send JillN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Knitmore Girls use their left over sock yarn to make preemie hats for their local hospital neo-natal ward. Colorful, small projects, used to do some good!
Go to Top of Page

annepgh
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  06:52:19 AM  Show Profile Send annepgh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been saving up those little balls for years and am getting ready to cast on for the Babette Blanket. I've also seen a mitered square blankie that was stunning. Decisions, decisions...
Go to Top of Page

pkwolfe1435
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  07:03:23 AM  Show Profile Send pkwolfe1435 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We have a Knit For Charity club at my school. I take in all my leftover sock yarn and the kids knit preemie and baby hats for our local hospital, baby items for a shelter, chemo hats for a teen cancer group, etc. They feel good about it and the charities get needed items.

-- Pam WOlfe
Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  07:54:07 AM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I made a looooong scarf that I started like a toe-up sock and went to ...well, it ended up, when laid flat, about 8" across, using #3's on a circular needle. Would do about an inch, but varying, of one yarn and change to another. For solid yarns, would throw in the occasional textured pattern or bottle, but no ribbing. It ended up about 5' long, and I get lots and lots of compliments on it, including from an artist acquaintance who thought it had come from a New York boutique she'd recently visited.

lemons of missouri
Go to Top of Page

Rakuqueen
Chatty Knitter

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  07:57:39 AM  Show Profile Send Rakuqueen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the ideas. I have knit some hats w/ the sock yarn for my MIL's seniors group. They have a fund raiser and donations for their local group. The hats came out very cute! Will do more, and will try a blanket.

Jane

Rakuqueen
Go to Top of Page

juliannking@yahoo.com

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  08:13:52 AM  Show Profile Send juliannking@yahoo.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't add anything new to what's already been said. I have made a mitered-square afghan with 2 inch squares on size 2 needles, I have made a giant-granny-square afghan, I have made baby hats, I have made baby socks,I have made baby sweaters, I have made tree ornaments, I have made doll clothes, I have made mittens..... the list is endless. The only problem is I still knit socks, throw the leftovers in the bin, and the bin never seems to go down. It is as if the fairies fill the bin every night and laugh when I look at it and wonder "Where does all this yarn come from?"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.78 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?