Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Talk about books reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Charts Made Simple
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Clara
queen bee

USA
4400 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  7:16:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We seem to be pretty strongly divided where charts are concerned. Whenever I teach somewhere and ask my students what they prefer, I hear "no charts!" and "charts!" in unison.

Bottom line is that charts aren't going to go away. And avoiding patterns that have charts is like avoiding all piano music that has parts for both hands. It'll end up limiting what you can do.

There really hasn't been much help in this category until quite recently. JC Briar, a tech editor of legendary proportions and also a fine teacher of knitting techniques, has just published an extremely helpful book on the topic. Charts Made Simple is the name.

Enjoy!

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  8:23:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think this book would be very good for the beginning chart reader. Your review says it all. Granted, it would be nice to have both written and charted, for finding errors, but once you learn to read your knitting you can almost see any error in a chart.

If I were new to charts this would be in my personal library.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4376 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  04:50:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love knitting from charts -- they're so orderly, unlike life! Thank you for the review, Clara!

Jane

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

shaggy
Permanent Resident

USA
4126 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  05:33:02 AM  Show Profile Send shaggy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Clara, I will look for this book, I HATE charts, they make me use my brain.

shaggy

every dollar makes Betty smile

Go to Top of Page

knitfiction
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  05:39:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitfiction's Homepage Send knitfiction a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So sad that it's "temporarily out of stock" at Amazon because I fall into the chart hating category and thanks to your review, I decided to grow up. I hope my LYS has it. I'd rather order from them anyway:)

Elizabeth
www.elizabethwinthrop.com

my website: www.elizabethwinthrop.com
my ravelry page:
http://www.ravelry.com/people/knitfiction
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4400 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  05:51:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fear not! It's temporarily out of stock because they're waiting for JC to send the first big batch. She had the book printed in the U.S., which means no three-month waiting period for the boat to make its way here from China. I give it two weeks tops before the books ship. (Total guess, but based on the number of books that are already winging their way across the country.)

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

JillN
Warming Up

62 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  06:43:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit JillN's Homepage Send JillN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was fortunately enough to take a Chart class with JC at Stitches East last year. I LOVE charts (guess it comes from learning to knit by knitting norweigan colorwork sweaters), and her class explanation and work we did in class was tremendously helpful! Even though I'm a chart person and am very experienced with charts (I've actually taught someone else to read charts, and now they are a convert too!!), I will be buying this book for myself.

I encourage anyone that's hesitant about learning charts to either get this book or take a class with JC.

No, I"m not affiliated in any way, just an enthusiastic fan of JC!
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2356 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  07:45:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I first saw the proofs of the book when JC got them back from the printer, and was excited then about how great the book looked. I now have seen the the final printed copy, and it is a great book. The illustrations are simple and really easy to understand, and the book covers many topics about charts, including some that many of us only see once in a while (unusual shapes, etc.) The small stack that were available at a spin-in that I attended last weekend were snapped up quickly!

It's a real boon for both experienced and new chart knitters. JC is a friend and fellow Oregonian, I have no affiliation either, though, other than an appreciation for her work on this under-addressed topic.

Shelia
www.letstalkstash.blogspot.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits
Go to Top of Page

NutmegOwl
Gabber Extraordinaire

576 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  08:46:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit NutmegOwl's Homepage Send NutmegOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a resident of Chartopia who has taught many a knitter to use them, I am so glad to hear about this new tool to demystify charts. I live for making the light bulb go on for other knitters.
Frankly, my pea brain interprets charts better than words, especially when the RAM is all jammed up after a long day. I look forward to getting my mitts on this.

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

760 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  08:56:33 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't wait to get this book. My problem with charts is how the heck to read and knit at the same time. Donna
Go to Top of Page

jessdr
New Pal

17 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  09:34:36 AM  Show Profile Send jessdr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Charts changed my life! When I was knitting from written instructions, I did everything procedurally - I just did what I was told in the order I was told, but never understood what I was doing.

When I started working from charts, I finally started to understand how knitting worked, and how those individual steps came together into a whole piece. That's when I learned how to read my knitting, make mistakes, and figure out if something was my mistake or a pattern error.

I'm even better at following written instructions, now that I can translate k2p3sskblahblahblah into an actual spatial understanding of the fabric I'm building.
Go to Top of Page

One Stitch at a Time
Chatty Knitter

293 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  10:04:14 AM  Show Profile Send One Stitch at a Time a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clara, you wicked, wicked temptress . I ordered one too .

I'd love to take a class with her (hint, hint).

Nanci
Go to Top of Page

ella
New Pal

12 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  11:28:17 AM  Show Profile Send ella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Clara, for bringing this magic decoder book to my attention and thank you JC, for creating the magic chart decoder book. I have been wishing for chart guidance and can't thank you enough for granting my wishes.
Go to Top of Page

chingachgook
New Pal

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  12:07:00 PM  Show Profile Send chingachgook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love charts. That's how I knit & live at the same time.

Oooh! this will help me chart out the Knitty Duck Booties! http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEss10/PATTduck.php

I'm on my third pair and the written instructions (pages and pages) are still .

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

queen of the east
Seriously Hooked

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  1:33:14 PM  Show Profile Send queen of the east a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The beauty of charts is that they teach you a new language of symbols that allows us to overcome the barriers of written language. Were I not an avid chart reader I would not have been able to experience the joys of knitting beautiful lace patterns from Japan, beaded wrist warmers from Norway and more lace from Germany.
For a long time I would jot down a chart from a written pattern into a cheap note book. Not a very organized way to do this. When I wanted an edging pattern I'd have to flip through various notebooks. So I bought myself a nice Moleskin graph paper book a few months ago and began the process of charting the written instructions for lace edgings from Weldon's and other period publications. I knit a sample of the edging to accompany each chart.
I found as I learned to read charts I began to understand the structure of knitting, especially with regards to lace.
Think of charts as a wonderful universal language.

Ann in Montreal
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  2:13:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For many, many years I only knitted from written instructions (as you did "back in the day"). However, since I've been connected to so many knitters worldwide through the internet, my knitting boundaries have stretched wide to embrace many new things, including using charts. Now I would be lost without a chart and when faced with lines of written words in a pattern I think "what the...? where do I start?"!

I also rather admire the Japanese-style of pattern where they have taken charts to a whole new limit and have virtually no written instructions at all. I could see that working very well indeed for myself in most situations.

KathyR

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.
My Blog
http://www.flickr.com/groups/kr_members/ (Roselea Fibres)
Go to Top of Page

Karil
New Pal

France
1 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  5:16:30 PM  Show Profile Send Karil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I recently purchased a knitting board (with the weaving extention boards) and a sock loom from Authentic Knitting Board. I have sewn simple clothes for years, because I so seldom find affordable clothing that I like. I prefer shrugs, kimono style tops and tunics, and loose-fitting garments that showcase the fabric, texture, colors... . And, I love wearing knits.

Unfortunately, I cannot needle-knit, because I suffer from fibromyalgia and have chronic tendonitis that has resulted in multiple surgery on my hands. Knitting boards and Looms seem the perfect solution. I am very impressed by the quality and craftmanship of the Authentic Knitting Boards--I love beautiful tools of all kinds.

My judgement might be flawed, because I am an absolute beginner, and it is certainly skewed, because I prefer clothing that is not form-fitting. In my opinion, however, there is a downside to KBs and Looms: the dearth of inspiring patterns
Ms. Briars book on Knitting Charts might be just the tool one needs to help convert needle-knitting patterns to Board and Loom patterns and thereby make needle patterns more easily available to Board and Loom knitters. It would also make knitting patterns international, because language would not be necessary for reading them.

In addition, perhaps someone will finally make a Needle to Board and Needle to Loom Conversion Application for the iPad!

Karil
Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  12:09:08 PM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never been a chart knitter but have always wanted to figure out the darned things, LOL.

I'm so glad you recommended this book to us, Clara, because had I seen it without your helpful info and review, I would have passed it by as "oh, that's a book for expert charters" and not realized that the book might be of help to those of us who have avoided charting in the past.

Knit On, Patience

Crochet Me A River

Faith, Hope, Charity & Yarn Snippets

Go to Top of Page

KnittingKittens
Chatty Knitter

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2011 :  10:09:53 AM  Show Profile Send KnittingKittens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Am finally on-line after computer troubles so as usual I am late to the comments but this is something I will definitely check out at my local bookseller. There may be hope for me yet!
I "get" colored charts most of the time but when it comes to stitch charts well. . . I would rather have a root canal without anesthesia! I mean it--charts give me a headache and my eyes cross and then I am not having fun.
Go to Top of Page

neraksenrab
Chatty Knitter

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2011 :  05:55:50 AM  Show Profile Send neraksenrab a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Knitting Kittens -- I'm with you -- cable charts made my eyes cross -- but color charts are fine. So I solved the problem for cable charts by getting a box of colored pencils at the dollar store and coloring my cable charts -- left cross is one color and right cross is a different color (and just to be safe-- I color the code too in case I'm really tired). It changed my world for cable charts. Karen
Go to Top of Page

noallatin
Chatty Knitter

277 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2011 :  3:12:30 PM  Show Profile Send noallatin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I color my charts too. I have problems keeping the codes straight but I don't have any problem with the colors. I bought the book because I think I'll probably learn something helpful.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?