Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 OFF-TOPIC: Enter At Your Own Risk
 Political discussions
 They Never Learn
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  7:35:53 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41498568/ns/politics-capitol_hill/?GT1=43001

Why do these guys think things of this nature will never get out and ruin their marriages and careers?

M L

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  7:38:48 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it's a "man" thing I suppose. And are they sure it's really himself? Just wondering if it's possible to fake these things?

EDIT. It took a while to load that.

Oh! He's a Republican. hmmm? I thought they were incorruptible!

Lella

Zippiknits

Want to make Betty Happy? Help buy her some brand new shoes.
Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

699 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  8:15:59 PM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Family values and all that
Go to Top of Page

Sara Sue
Permanent Resident

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  8:25:48 PM  Show Profile Send Sara Sue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In a spirit of what's good for the republican is good for the democrat ------- Bill Clinton. Though now that I think about it, it would be interesting to see what the party affiliations are of those caught in this type of scandal. Drat! Now I'll be up the rest of the night googling political scandals!
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  9:04:43 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am reminded of the interview with Mr. Obama by Katie Couric. She asked him about this type of behavior and he responded that in this day and age, he honestly didn't know how anyone of any party could think one would get away with it. He went on to admit that he was afraid of picking his nose or anything for fear it would get out. LOL

He's right, however, in that these days with YouTube, cell phone cameras, the press, you can't expect people will not find out. This is not FDR's time where the press never made an issue out of him being in a wheel chair and that he was carrying on with his wife's social secretary or that he died with said Lucy Mercer.

We were vaguely made aware something was going on when Marilyn Monroe sang Happy Birthday, Mr. President to JFK but by the time Clinton came along, nobody can get away with this stuff now. The fact they still try, regardless of what party they belong to, is amazing to me.

M L
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2046 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  9:05:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice looking body though! Ah to be young again!

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

mouse
Permanent Resident

1442 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  10:10:15 PM  Show Profile Send mouse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At least they cleaned house with this one. "Diaper Dan" Vitter, who pays prostitutes to put diapers on him, is still in office, as is Ensign, who had his parents write the checks to pay off his mistress and her husband. And then there's Mr. Wide Stance, who withdrew his resignation.

This one may take the cake for sheer, unadulterated stupidity, though

........................................................................................................................
You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. Antoine de Saint Exupery
Go to Top of Page

shaggy
Permanent Resident

USA
4126 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  05:43:48 AM  Show Profile Send shaggy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why do these guys think things of this nature will never get out and ruin their marriages and careers?

M L

Because they think with the almighty pe*is.

shaggy

every dollar makes Betty smile

Go to Top of Page

Sara Sue
Permanent Resident

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  06:47:02 AM  Show Profile Send Sara Sue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some thoughts on why (not mine):

quote:
people who go into politics are more likely than others to be risk-takers, say experts in the field. To a large extent, they're people who are comfortable inviting scrutiny because that's what politicians do to get elected.

quote:
One possible explanation, said Stanley Renshon, a political psychologist at City University of New York: "Narcissism is an occupational hazard for political leaders. You have to have an outsized ambition and an outsized ego to run for office."

quote:
you begin to think of yourself as master of your own universe and your own set of ethical structures, your own sense of decision-making

quote:
"For some individuals, the excitement of illicit sexual activity might feed the same desire" as "the excitement of politics."

and what Shaggy said.
Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

766 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  09:01:44 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ill tell you what a coworker said some years ago when he was caught.He said it was just a little mistake. I could have floored him for his wife. They were married 45 years and he said that to her. Donna
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2390 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  12:13:01 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That just proves it -- he WAS thinking with his pe*is, Donna...his was just a "little" smaller than the standard almighty one.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
So much to learn, so little time.
Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

699 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  4:16:53 PM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spitzer is a perfect example of a politician who thought he could get away with it. You should watch "Client number 9", it is a very interesting documentary of sorts.

Kristina
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  4:24:35 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kkknitter

Spitzer is a perfect example of a politician who thought he could get away with it. You should watch "Client number 9", it is a very interesting documentary of sorts.

Kristina

:: Wasn't it? I found it fascinating. I do not understand why some people can't cope with power but it certainly seems to be the case with some of them.

M L
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  11:45:23 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sara Sue, Clinton and Lee, tied at the hip for stupidity... Someone once said that power is the best aphrodisiac.

quote:
"This one may take the cake for sheer, unadulterated stupidity, though"

Indeed, mouse. Gad! Craig's list?

Kristina, thanks for the "hot" tip on revealing documentaries.

Lella

Zippiknits

Want to make Betty Happy? Help buy her some brand new shoes.
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  9:34:56 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't care if politicians or colleagues have affairs. As long as they do their jobs, their sexual escapades (with consenting adults) don't make a whiff of difference to me.

If this guy's wife is upset or wants a divorce, go for it, but if the guy does a decent job at work and it doesn't affect that, meh.

Brought to you by the tongue in cheek-y monkey
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Go to Top of Page

mouse
Permanent Resident

1442 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  9:40:40 PM  Show Profile Send mouse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I care if they are also going on about the *sanctity of marriage* and voting on sexual matters on the basis of considering the conduct immoral. IOW, if you're going on about *family values*, thundering against same sex marriage or the repeal of DADT, while at the same time playing around, you deserve to be outed and ridiculed as a hypocrite.

........................................................................................................................
You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. Antoine de Saint Exupery
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  10:04:19 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mokey, I was about to say the same thing Mouse said. I will add a few things. I care because so many of them are bathed in the light of Family Values Rhetoric Hypocrisy and vote on issues as if they walk on water. So, yes, to some of us, here in this country, it matters. I feel if one cannot be decent enough to be faithful and honest to one's spouse, how can I expect one to tell the truth on anything else?

I do know we don't do things as perfectly as you do in Canada. You'll just have to humour us, won't you? Some of us find it lacking in integrity for a married person to advertise on a dating site with his shirt off when he is a representative of the people. Silly me for caring about honesty, faithfulness and intelligence, but I like to know the people who are representing me in the government have as much integrity and smarts going for them as I do.

M L
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  10:43:07 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know nohing about the politician in question, but if he rants on about family values,sanctity of marriage and then doesn't practice what he preaches, that's different and I would be cheesed off.

I care about honesty and intelligence as they relate to the work place, not someone's sex life. Smart people have affairs and run successful businesses; intellectual capaciy has nothing to do with prtners outside of marriage.

Brought to you by the tongue in cheek-y monkey
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  10:59:00 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by mokey

I care about honesty and intelligence as they relate to the work place, not someone's sex life. Smart people have affairs and run successful businesses; intellectual capaciy has nothing to do with prtners outside of marriage.

:: But integrity does. If a person cannot be honest within his/her private life and within a mariage, then I have no reason to believe he/she will treat me with any integrity. To me, life is not that easily compartmentalized, Mokey. If someone is a louse in private, chances are it will carry over into other areas of life and I do not find that dripping with confidence-inspiring integrity.

M L
Go to Top of Page

flicka
Seriously Hooked

879 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  11:02:13 PM  Show Profile Send flicka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Mokey, I didn't care too much, either, when a conservative Canadian MP famously dated a Leaves hockey player, who happened to be married. Did you? I didn't even care when she told the press "Let's face it, I don't stay at home on Friday nights and knit". Did you? Oh, probably not. It's their business, after all.

If we care about our elected officials' behaviour, why don't you just let us care? I can't see that it hurts you, or Canada, if we do.

flicka
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  11:15:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mokey

I know nohing about the politician in question, but if he rants on about family values,sanctity of marriage and then doesn't practice what he preaches, that's different and I would be cheesed off.

Perhaps you should educate yourself before you go spouting off uneducated opinions and telling people how they should feel about their own country's political leaders--a race you have no horse in, by the way.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Republican+Christopher+Lee

"I'm telling you, we're in a M. Night Shyamalan flick."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.89 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by