Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sweater Talk
 Seaming Ribbing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

EllieJ
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2011 :  4:30:42 PM  Show Profile Send EllieJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am trying to sew together the pieces of the Mama Bear Sweater from the Book of Wool. I need help with seaming techniques that will keep the ribbing intact. Got any tips or can you point me in the direction of directions?

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2011 :  8:25:47 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think this will help you. I was going to try to explain how I did it, but this has pictures. This is really a spectacular page for seaming.

http://www.knitsimplemag.com/node/80

Lella

Zippiknits

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.
Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

699 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2011 :  04:52:31 AM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Lelle, I put your reference into my Bookmarks. It is very clearly illustrated, and I seem to forget from one sweater to another exactly what to do. I think that is because I don't really like that part.

Kristina
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2011 :  7:07:59 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're welcome m'friend. It's a really great site. I put it on my side bar I'm so impressed by it. :o)

Lella

Zippiknits

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.
Go to Top of Page

EllieJ
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2011 :  09:29:08 AM  Show Profile Send EllieJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you have any suggestions for seaming ribbed sleeves (a p5, k3 rib)? Making the increases look nice is interesting, to say the least!

Ellie
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2011 :  4:35:33 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow that is a challenge. I did make 3by2 ribbed men's cardi many years ago, raglan sleeves. I'm not sure how I seamed it but there is a "ladder" in there somewhere that should give you a fairly smooth seam but it's tricky to see.

Maybe someone has a better clue. The ladder along the edges will be irregular so it will be tricky to do neatly.

After sewing the ribbed cuff, I would wrap the rest of the sleeve around a sleeve roll, it's like a sewing ham for sleeves. You can use anything long and round just wrap it in fabric for smoothness.

That should make it easier to see the edges and match them to each other. After awhile you can just take it off the sleeve roll, and sew it, but that gives first bit gives your eyes some training. Good Luck.. hope I read right what you said. Net books are hard to read on. lol

Lella

Zippiknits

Go to Top of Page

sockjoan
Warming Up

Australia
61 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2011 :  03:55:58 AM  Show Profile Send sockjoan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seams on sleeves are a cinch if you do the increases one stitch in, rather than right at the edge. Then you get a nice line one stitch in from the edge, which you can mattress-stitch to perfection. The increases will match on the two sides of the shaped sleeve, so it's not hard to keep the seam evenly balanced between the two sides.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe