Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 The Itch Factor
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

knitafew
New Pal

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2011 :  11:14:29 AM  Show Profile Send knitafew a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings, I read through many fantastic yarn articles here at KR and would love any tips & hints about steering clear of itchy yarn. I love natural fibers but some are so darn itchy!

Thanks
Chloe

Wishing you time to knit

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2365 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2011 :  11:07:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know what you mean by asking, but my take on itchiness is that it's a very individually subjective thing. Especially with commercial garments, I've suffered a lot from itchy sweaters over the years, but I generally don't have a problem with most knitting yarns and types of wool. It also differs depending on where I'll be wearing the woolen garment - my feet don't really have a lot of sensitivity, but the back of my neck can still react to a wool scarf, depending on the yarn. I think Clara does a great job of giving us enough information that we can make some choices of options then test out the feel of the wool on our own skin.

Shelia
www.letstalkstash.blogspot.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits
Go to Top of Page

Consuelo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2011 :  2:57:00 PM  Show Profile Send Consuelo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, merino wool is pretty soft as is anything with Alpaca or silk, even acrylic can be softer than some wools. However, if you get a wool that seems a bit scratchy, try soaking it in hair conditioner over night. You'll be amazed how much softer it gets.

Consuelo
"Travel is fatal to prejudice" Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1753 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2011 :  3:02:39 PM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't wear any wool next to my skin, other than socks and mittens, no matter what it is. I just know that I will wear a t-neck or blouse under a sweater and then I have no problem.

For scarves, I use the wool ones as an embellishment and the soft acrylics to wrap around my neck, or I have some silk scarves and they are amazingly warm and very skin friendly.

See My Stuff: Here

Go to Top of Page

NutmegOwl
Gabber Extraordinaire

581 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  08:13:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit NutmegOwl's Homepage Send NutmegOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are wools, yarns and sweaters that are itchy?
To Shelia's point, we are all different ...

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1136 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  12:02:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find that washable wools aren't scratchy. I try to buy superwash yarn when I'm going to make something that's supposed to be next to my skin, like socks, gloves, mittens, or scarves.

Otherwise, I usually wear a shirt under all my sweaters.

PAM

Twitter Name = WildKnitter

Blog: http://wildknitter.blogspot.com

If I could only do this for a living...
Go to Top of Page

knitafew
New Pal

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  2:22:39 PM  Show Profile Send knitafew a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had no idea that if one found yarn itchy that another might not DUH!

chloe
'wishing you time to knit'
Go to Top of Page

knitafew
New Pal

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  2:23:53 PM  Show Profile Send knitafew a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Consuelo... Conditioner overnight - Love this tip!

Chloe

quote:
Originally posted by Consuelo

Well, merino wool is pretty soft as is anything with Alpaca or silk, even acrylic can be softer than some wools. However, if you get a wool that seems a bit scratchy, try soaking it in hair conditioner over night. You'll be amazed how much softer it gets.

Consuelo
"Travel is fatal to prejudice" Mark Twain

chloe
Go to Top of Page

knitafew
New Pal

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  2:26:43 PM  Show Profile Send knitafew a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much, this is what I was hoping for a personal hard rule of sorts - Superwashable sounds great.

Chloe

quote:
Originally posted by PBELKNAP

I find that washable wools aren't scratchy. I try to buy superwash yarn when I'm going to make something that's supposed to be next to my skin, like socks, gloves, mittens, or scarves.

Otherwise, I usually wear a shirt under all my sweaters.

PAM

Twitter Name = WildKnitter

Blog: http://wildknitter.blogspot.com

If I could only do this for a living...

chloe
Go to Top of Page

Kade1301
Permanent Resident

France
1438 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  05:01:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kade1301's Homepage Send Kade1301 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My mother always said that when wool is itchy, it's too warm for wearing it - seems to work for me. My Masham hat with ear flaps didn't pose a problem this morning a few degrees above freezing (I forgot, when spinning and knitting it, that wheras on my head my hair would act as a buffer, the ear flaps would touch my ears and cheeks. Masham is NOT recommended for next-to-skin wear...). The other thing is that I notice that I suffer more from itchy wool when my skin is too dry.

Bye, Klara

http://www.lahottee.info
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4403 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  11:21:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Klara - your mother spoke the truth! Studies have proven that the receptors in our skin are more sensitive in warm weather than they are in cold. Moral of the story: Always live in a cold climate.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

knitafew
New Pal

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2011 :  08:44:45 AM  Show Profile Send knitafew a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, and a cold climate = more knitted warmies too!

quote:
Originally posted by Clara

Klara - your mother spoke the truth! Studies have proven that the receptors in our skin are more sensitive in warm weather than they are in cold. Moral of the story: Always live in a cold climate.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher

chloe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth