Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 What's On Your Knitting Wish List?
 Finished Knitting Project
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

zknit08
Chatty Knitter

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2011 :  04:47:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit zknit08's Homepage Send zknit08 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My wish is to have an actual finished knitting project. I have been practicing until now, trying to make my stitches even. I think I'm ready to make small knitted projects. I already have 1 knitting UFO. I need to finish that one too. So this will be one of my goal this 2011.

weavingway
New Pal

43 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2011 :  08:18:10 AM  Show Profile Send weavingway a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Having a UFO is a great start. I think UFO's are a requirement for loving knitting. Shawls are very popular now and there are lots of patterns that run from very easy to more complicated. Some pretty ones made from sock yarn, so if you don't like them you can rip it out and make socks.
Go to Top of Page

Schaeferyarnlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

513 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2011 :  1:04:37 PM  Show Profile Send Schaeferyarnlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Zknit08,
How about a ribbed scarf? The scarf would allow you to knit and purl evenly.

Debra
Go to Top of Page

zknit08
Chatty Knitter

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2011 :  1:39:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit zknit08's Homepage Send zknit08 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@weavingway, Schaeferyarnlover, thank you for the encouragement and, yes, I think a scarf (tiny one)would be a good next project. I'm trying to finish this 6"x6" practice block then I'll be ready to start on a real project.

Happy knitting!
Go to Top of Page

simple knitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2011 :  1:12:43 PM  Show Profile  Send simple knitter a Yahoo! Message Send simple knitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good luck, once you finish your first project you will feel such a sence of accomplishment. After that you won't be able to put your projects down.

Veronica :)
Go to Top of Page

zknit08
Chatty Knitter

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2011 :  1:45:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit zknit08's Homepage Send zknit08 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@ Veronica, thank you for your encouragement. I find that Knitting is much more relaxing than crochet, now that I'm comfortable with holding and managing the yarn and 2 needles. I'm now familiarizing myself on how to do knitted lace. I already finished the small swatch that I started. I'm trying to decide whether to do a sock or a scarf. A sock is probably more complicated for a beginner.
Go to Top of Page

simple knitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2011 :  6:09:27 PM  Show Profile  Send simple knitter a Yahoo! Message Send simple knitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Socks personally scare me because I am not very good with DP's. I started with scarves and simple patterns that were flat, but when stitched up were booties, hat, and gloves. I like to keep it small. Baby blankets are also fun because you can use such a variety of colors and stitches. Have fun :)
Go to Top of Page

zknit08
Chatty Knitter

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2011 :  07:54:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit zknit08's Homepage Send zknit08 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@ Veronica, I agree with you, I'm better off starting with small and flat projects and leave complicated ones for later. :) Have fun too! What are you currently making?
Go to Top of Page

simple knitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  09:08:26 AM  Show Profile  Send simple knitter a Yahoo! Message Send simple knitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have several things on needles, I jump from project to project alot. I have a couple scarves, an afgan, and a Kindle case. I just finished a stocking hat. I also need to get moving on some baby items, as I have a nephew coming in May. So have you finished anything yet??
Go to Top of Page

zknit08
Chatty Knitter

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  11:46:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit zknit08's Homepage Send zknit08 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I'm familiarizing myself on different knitting techniques and terminologies I decided to make these experimental squares into washrags that I can give away for Christmas. So I have to switch from acrylic yarn to cotton yarn. I find out that it is harder to knit cotton (non-acrylic) and that it is better to use bamboo needle when knitting cotton. Knitting on metal needle is difficult because the loops can easily slide off the needles since metal needle is so slick compared to bamboo. I also need to learn how to fix dropped stitches, because no matter how careful I am I always find a dropped stitch.

I think it is common practice among knitters to have several projects going. Based on what I read is that most knitters have both intricate and simple projects in progress at all times. The intricate projects are reserved to be done at times when there will be minimum or no interruptions at all because it requires more concentration.

I wish I can say I definitely finished a knitting project, but as of now, no. I'm 1/4th done on this current washrag that I'm knitting. I'm also looking forward to knitting for a baby! Have fun!
Go to Top of Page

simple knitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  4:21:22 PM  Show Profile  Send simple knitter a Yahoo! Message Send simple knitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is good to familiarize yourself with those kinds of things. I like your idea of the squares, i might have to steal that from you. I want to try new stitches and things but don't wanna devote a whole project to it. Please be sure and post some pictures of your "washrags". I would love to see them :)
Go to Top of Page

KnittingKittens
Chatty Knitter

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  03:54:39 AM  Show Profile Send KnittingKittens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like having a few UFO's and in progress works to choose from. Depending on my energy and interest level, I then pick what to work on. I am working hard- really hard on a lace shawl which is kicking my butt so if I took it out of the project bag and found that elves or the KnittingKitten had finished it, that would be fine with me!
Good luck to all of us!
Go to Top of Page

Gwen in Bowmanville
New Pal

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  05:04:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Gwen in Bowmanville's Homepage Send Gwen in Bowmanville a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't imagine having just one project on the needles! I encourage you to try making a simple hat. It can be knitted flat, it's small ( not much bigger than a dishcloth, really) and you have a fabulous FO to show the world that You Are a Knitter! There's even a hidden bonus -- you learn about making decreases, which aren't any more difficult than making a knit stitch. Whatever you choose to do, have fun with your knitting!
Go to Top of Page

jrpalermo
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  06:51:04 AM  Show Profile Send jrpalermo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Once you graduate from scarves, one nice easy project is a pair of two-needle mittens. I would agree that socks are maybe a little too difficult for your first project. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

texas44
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  07:36:39 AM  Show Profile Send texas44 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
there are easy free patterns on Straw.com, the website for crystal palace yarn. My favorite dishcloth- involves one stitch increases and decreases on one end to shape the square. I found bamboo easier to manage in the beginning when I learned to knit but would recommend the circular needles because you don't have to worry about the stitches falling off the ends when you put it down. Try to knit EVERY day. I taught myself to knit one weekend at a beach vacation. I laugh when I see my first attempts but saved it to show new beginners. Keep at it and keep it fun. I would also recommend small fun projects rather than swatches so you have a finished project when you are done. I learned to crochet recently and I use the attempts as dishclothes even with mistakes. Be proud-not everyone gets the hang of it!
Go to Top of Page

savvy_C
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  07:56:24 AM  Show Profile Send savvy_C a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Have many projects underway, and pick up my choice depending on the amount of time available. Small projects- scarf, hat, or socks may be packed into my briefcase. You'll find me knitting on planes and in airports.Flight delays?? Gives me the gift of more rows done. Knitting feeds my soul- and makes for great transition at the end of a long day. May you have many rows/UFOS ahead!
Go to Top of Page

Susan1006
New Pal

33 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  08:59:52 AM  Show Profile Send Susan1006 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the UFOs multiply in my knitting basket when I am not looking. I am a great starter of projects, and every so often I brutally examine my stack of UFOs and frog most of them to make something I want to finish. I have learned about myself that small projects are more likely to get completed in my world. Detailed small projects are my favorites and I knit every day. I am kind of a process knitter, I guess, rather than a project knitter, because the yarn has to like becoming what I want to make or I have to try something else. Some of my yarns have been in four or five UFOs before finding their true calling. I am making a bias rib scarf from the latest Vogue Knitting Mag that I started in three different yarns before I found the one that suited me. It is really lovely, though in the DIC Smooshy sock yarn that I finally settled on. Knitting is the most fun you can have with sticks and string.

Knit on with confidence and hope through all crises. EZ
Go to Top of Page

churchlady
Warming Up

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  09:50:19 AM  Show Profile Send churchlady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gwen in Bowmanville

I encourage you to try making a simple hat. It can be knitted flat, it's small ( not much bigger than a dishcloth, really) and you have a fabulous FO to show the world that You Are a Knitter!

A scarf often seems to take forever to get an inch longer as I knit and knit, so I'd recommend a hat, if you or someone you love would wear one. Stitches even out when your work is washed and worn, and you notice differences in tension more than others will(especially when the knitting is on top of a head).
Go to Top of Page

crc532
New Pal

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  05:48:37 AM  Show Profile Send crc532 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't want to assume you know about Ravelry, but that one thing has certainly helped me to expand my knitting. I am more cautious than I should be. I also would highly recommend a video by Nici McNally. You can get it on Amazon. I find learning certain things from books can be difficult. She has a very pleasant style which you might find helpful. It is a beginning knitter's DVD.

I agree that cotton can be hard to knit with which was disappointing for me to learn because I wear a lot of cotton. Keep going though and try to join a knitting group which has been a world of good for me. Most knitters are very encouraging as you can see by these posts.

crc
Go to Top of Page

zknit08
Chatty Knitter

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  11:41:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit zknit08's Homepage Send zknit08 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much for all your supportive and encouraging comments. I can't seem to leave crochet completely even with my knitting project. So my first knitting FO is finished with crochet edging. I made a wash cloth in stockinette stitch and I knitted the borders in alternating k1,p1 stitches. I meant to do a moss stitch but it turned out to be something else lol! I think in a moss stitch, you purl on top of a knit from previous row and vice versa. Here is a photo of my first knitted Wash Cloth:

http://time2crochet-n-craft.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3460 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  3:56:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
zknit08, have you thought of knitting a cowl? Depending on how difficult you want it to b,e you can:
- knit it flat and seam it, or in the round
- have lace in it or not

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth